New World Map

keithcurtis

Re: New World Map

Apparently' date=' some folks just don't care about that world-building stuff. I discussed this with a couple of players. One of them said that they really only were interested in the world as it related to [i']them[/i]. They were interested in character building options, the interaction and role-playing plots. They viewed knowledge of the wider world as irrelevant and never bothered to study the material closely that did not relate to their character. As a world-builder, I find this approach totally incomprehensible. Valid, I suppose, but incomprehensible.

I feel your pain. I've long come to the realization that for the most part, any world-building stuff I do has to be for my own amusement. If stuff is forcibly brought to the players' attention they'll usually say something polite, but they really don't care all that much.

I feel your pain. I've long come to the realization that for the most part' date=' any world-building stuff I do has to be for my own amusement. If stuff is forcibly brought to the players' attention they'll usually say something polite, but they really don't care all that much.[/quote']

Actually, I have enough players FTF and on-line who do care about that stuff to make it worthwhile. And Susan is an excellent role-player.

Keith "lucky GM" Curtis

Sure you are. Southern Hemisphere' date=' just after Asia and before equatorial Antarctica. You're a little farther south than normal and Canberra is probably (ant)arctic in climate. Poor Rage is buried under a polar ice cap.[/quote']

Not really. Canberra would be about 44.5º South (assuming the new south pole is at current 180º E/W, 0º N/S).

OTOH, places like Fiji and Vanuatu will definately by antarctic.

The assumption is incorrect, though not by much. And your conclusion is pretty accurate It was not tilted along the Prime meridian. The new south pole is closer to 160°E, 0°N/S. This puts Canberra just under 50°S.

You are correct that this is far from antarctic; I was speaking from memory. By consulting my old climate map, I do see that it borders on a Marine West Coast climate.

Keith "Enjoy the redwoods" Curtis

Well - it 80% is.

Plus we even feel it here - we've had a drought the last 5 years. Luckily this year (in Canberra at least) the rains have been coming back.

Low temperature (in the case of Canberra) rarely equates to rain. It snows maybe once, for 15 minutes, every 8-10 years.

The assumption is incorrect, though not by much. And your conclusion is pretty accurate It was not tilted along the Prime meridian. The new south pole is closer to 160°E, 0°N/S. This puts Canberra just under 50°S.

You are correct that this is far from antarctic; I was speaking from memory. By consulting my old climate map, I do see that it borders on a Marine West Coast climate.

Keith "Enjoy the redwoods" Curtis

Ah, OK.

So the North pole is at 20°W, 0°N/S? Thanks; now I can figure the new-latitude of various places. :)

I love how TSR did this one way back when.
Hmm.... Curious--if you look at the very bottom of that it says "Circumference: 19,448 miles"

Since Earth's circumference is ~40,074 km, the map is of a planet about 21.9% smaller than Earth.

Or TSR goofed up. ;)

Maybe they meant leagues. Or Centons or something. :)

Most likely they forgot the 2 in 2πr.

Here's an interesting pic I posted on the Savage Earth forum last night.

A player and I were fiddling with Google Earth maps. We decided to zoom in and see what the area around Tallon (the campaign city) really looks like now. When I developed the original maps, I used a big ol' atlas for the basics. Nice, but not too detailed.

The truth isn't too far off, but I imagine that the catastrophe that swung the earth around must also have raised the area up a little. It's just plain soggy up there. The satellite image also suffers a bit from severe distortion (Google uses a Mercator projection). It also appears to have been shot from an oblique angle. This is on the Thelon* River (or perhaps the Chesterfield Inlet--I'm not sure where one begins and the other ends), between Baker Lake and Hudson Bay. The locals in SE call it the Theron Inlet.

wide picture

Keith "I like it better all covered in jungle" Curtis

*Thelon => Tallon, or how the city got its name.

That's cool. The old Laurasia/Gondwanaland era. I did a few pages for a homemade fantasy comic set in that period, way back in high school. What product was it in?

Champion's of Mystara.

I think it is supposed to be smaller then the Earth. Esp since the poles are "cut off" (the world is like a doughnut, if you keep going north/south you go around the lip and into the hollow section of the world).