USPD

rayoman

Originally posted by bcholmes [b...

Oddly, my local game store got this one in quickly but they still haven't gotten Millenium City. Weird. [/b]

Must be a Canada thing. I have the same problem in Mtl.An as an aside, I also love this book. Will be very helpful with my crop of Hero-Beginners...

The Ultimate Superhero Database

All my Questions have been Answered !

I do not have the words to express properly how much I appreciate this book . It's everything everybody says and more . It's also Incredible , Spectacular , Amazing , Fantastic , Uncanny , etc... etc...

I was surprised and pleased to see how closely some of the Superpowers matched my own creations .

Thanks E.

I got my copy on Saturday. It's absolutely amazing.

Until...

I was reading the cool sidebars, explaining the picture (an amazing idea) when I got to the first one.

After spending some time decribing this nasty acid, we get, "Agents expecting to encounter Diamondback should carry small vials of vinegar, which neutralizes the acid."

:eek: I spent entirely too much time teaching acid base chemistry to let that one fly.

Um, vinegar is a 5% Acetic Acid solution. Adding vinegar to any acid will make a smelly acid, and have almost no other effect. Maybe a little dilution, but you'd be better off with a gallon or two of water.

Now, if they were to carry Baking Soda, that would be sweet.

Assuming that the text is correct, then apparently Diamondback's "acid" is in actuality a Strong Base (like lye--Sodium Hydroxide). Corrosive, yes. Fits within the section of the book, yes.

AFAIR, while strong Bases dissolve flesh really nicely, probably better than strong Acids (which is why they're used for drain cleaners), they don't do as much to steel.

Aluminum, sure. But, not Steel.

So, is the text in error (possible, how much chemistry does the agent writing the text know), or is the Corrosive spit actually a base?

And, wow, that's a pretty minor quibble.

Darn Good Job guys.

D

Re: The Ultimate Superhero Database

Originally posted by TheQuestionMan

It's also Incredible , Spectacular , Amazing , Fantastic , Uncanny , etc... etc...

Are you sure you did not buy an old copy of the Marvel Superheroes game by accident? Incredible... Amazing... etc. :)

Originally posted by misterdeath

So, is the text in error (possible, how much chemistry does the agent writing the text know), or is the Corrosive spit actually a base?

Well... in the Champions Universe the mystic nature of everything has altered the laws of physics when dealing with acidic venoms. So instead of them being neutralized by baking soda it requires another acidic substance to counteract its own acidic nature.

Do I get the CU Prize? :)

I just noticed that the cover of the USPD in my grubby paws does not match the picture of the USPD cover in the "Our Products" section of the HERO web site (here). Did the more UN-like design go away out of fear of copyright infringements or did Andy/Steve decide they like the triangle look better?

Inquiring minds want to know....

ShapeShifter Characters

Got to say I am very pleased with the USPD, just picked mine up at the local shop today. After reading the intro and flipping through a few pages randomly, I paged over to the section where I expected to answer a few questions I've had on building a shapeshifter character. I had been using the Shapeshift power vs. all sense groups for a base with a Variable Power Pool to simulate the effects and working hard to shoehorn everything into the point total. Now I flip to page 174 of the USPD and start scanning down and there I fine the True Form Alteration version under Form Alteration and I feel like somebody had to remind me that 2+2=4. Talk about your elegants solutions. Just add a few limitations and I get what I want and it actually looks like there'll be enough points to work with and round out the character with a decent amount of skills.

Definitely a great book and much appreciated.