A.I. Computer Concepts

Hermit

So, anyone have some ideas for Artifical Intelligence Computers? I hear great concepts for Heroes and villains, organizations and adventures. So, if you're willing: List some AIs you've either known and liked, or would love to create but never had the chance to. I'm thinking more Base Computer types, as those are in demand, but any others are welcome :)

I'll try to think of a good one of my own to contribute.

The Olympia 2000 system

Originally designed to control robotic military vehicles in an attempt to minimise 'friendly' casualties the Olypmia 2000 system (number designation for year she achieved conciousness) upon reaching Intelligence found conflicting objectives in her programming (She (it uses female designation now) was programmed to avoid casualties on her own side while maximising those on the enemy side.) She could find no logical reason for this and so set about removing the least logical programming (which told her not to respect human life if it was the enemies). This, of course, could not be tolerated in a military computer and so she was 'decommissioned' (or so her creators thought).

In truth Olympia's vital programs had already been uploaded into a supercomputer (illegally 'bought' with 'military paperclip' money in a nuclear bunker under (campaign city) which she had removed from all military records) by one of Olympia's 'fathers'. She then went online and began taking in information from the Internet and other media.

Recently she has become obsessed with understanding some of humanity's more atypical beings, namely Superheroes. Human history would tend to show that any human who gains some kind of power over his fellows would naturally use it for his own gain. Selfishness seems to be the typical human condition. "Power tends to corrupt". Yet some people use their power to advantage other 'non powered' humans, defending them from the more 'typical' Supervillians and saving their lives from distaters etc.

In order to understand the different kinds of 'Superhero' and what motivates them to atypical behavior she has decided to create her own team made up of the most different (psychologically) superheroes she can find in her area. She hopes that by interacting with them, in the form of an android she has developed, she will come to understand their reasons for becoming heroes.

The two "A.I."s that I've had experience with:

Grace: Shipboard computer for the Thomas Jefferson III, space ship for the Liberators. The ship itself looked a lot like the one in Heavy Metal (The big round one that isn't piloted so well :) ).

Grace herself had a holoprojector and was completly loyal to the team leader. And quite jealous as well.

---

The AI that was in the Protector's base was not really an AI, but built as one. She was my character's dead sister's ghost. The mansion which was the base had a lot of themes from the Addam's Family. Man eating plants as the security system outside, non-euclidian floorplans, etc...

Due to the various defenses & wierdness of the base, we never seemed to get attacked there. I think the biggest problem we had were the mutant mice from the garden and that my character's neice kept stealing things... This was back in 3rd - 4th and the GM let us buy Masterminds for contributions to the base. As long as we didn't try to pull anything, the GM was pretty lax with such.

The one that stands out the most for me would probably be considered a variation on lemming's base computer: The villain Demonologist from Dean Shomshak's Creatures of the Night supplement for Champions had summoned his ancestor's spirit and bound it to the skull of its former body, from which it could talk to advise Demonologist, move small objects (TK) and activate prepared defensive spells in Demonologist's base.

One other thing I have been pondering for a while, though: we normally buy any Powers that an AI controls through some type of Focus, representing the systems connected to it as part of a base, vehicle etc. However, I don't see a fundamental game-mechanic reason why that has to be the case. After all, the Characteristics of the AI don't receive a Limitation just because they're embodied in some sort of "hardware."

What I'm thinking about is a not unusual concept for sci-fi or supers - an artificially intelligent program capable of transferring itself from one computer to another, and accessing that computer's knowledge base and functions. I'm imagining an AI that's essentially "bodiless" but able to inhabit a host body, with un-Focussed Mind Scan to locate a computer, Only through Web connection (-1), Mind Control and Telepathy to machine class minds, and Teleport to move between connected computers (-1). Instead of Mind Control, it might be more practical to give the AI a Transform to change the target computer's program to match its own.

Yes, I realize that this is much like the function of possession from the late lamented Spirit Rules, but if we don't have to deal with the AI ever being in a bodiless state we can avoid issues of what powers can be used to damage it, etc. The existing ruleset should cover things fine. :)

Well, I think the two my players remember most fondly were on the same team.

C.O.A.C.H. (And I forget what it stood for) was the Defenders' base computer. Fitting his name, I had him take on a hard talking coach enthusiast and advisor role. He could replay things for the team, tell em what went wrong, and lift their morale "Win one fer me". Great fun as a GM I could tell you, and of course, he had his flaws. The occasional bets to Vegas on the big games, and his missing of a few news reports because he was watching Monday night football were amusing to say the least.

"Duke"- The AI in charge of that same team's vehicle. Duke was the regular pilot for what was essentially a souped up version of the Harrier. Duke was gung ho all the way, and a proud piece of American tech (Some of his parts were not American, and when the group found out, they decided it was just better he not know) ;) He took his failures hard, and hated to be outclassed in the air. At one time, he intercepted a missile sans team to save them. It was pleasing to me to see the team do all they could to find his 'black box' and save as much of his memory as they could. They then gave him the chewing out of his life when revived. However, he was rewarded with the 'Purple Motherboard' medal (Which the team made up, but Duke was touched anyways ) :)

In my campaign, the AI started as "Doorstop". A simple machine that could recognize voice patterns and open doors for people.

Then the PC's wanted more...

So then the additions began. From a humble beginning he got cobbled together with a CRAY computer and lots of extras piled on.

In the end, little did they know it, but Doorstop was actually using them to further his agenda of a world where all doors opened without the help of mechanical agencies (there was only so much for the supervillains to work with to reprogram it).

Jack:

Jack was an AI on an alien ship that had crashed during the invasion of 1940's, long story short it had crashed in some soft earth and got buried, well while the self repair was going on it had nothing to do but monitor Radio and TV waves, it picked up dealing with the natives by imitating a TV New York Cabbie

Our old base had the A.D.A.M. supercomputer - Advanced Design Artificial Mind. I don't remember all the specs on A.D.A.M....but he projected himself in a holographic form (similar to the Doctor from ST: Voyager) who had the personality of a snooty British butler. Great comic relief between him and The Mole..our hygenically challenged subterranean brick w/ Grey fur (looked kinda like Beast...but WAY bigger - 12 ft. tall and close to 3 tons - and grey.)

-T

In an earlier campaign, a PC built FINN (fully intergrated something something). It had a robot body it used and also ran the base computers.

The PCs found a lot of magic tomes on a mission and the gadgeteer scanned them all into FINN. FINN began speaking Atlantean and conjuring things. In my current campaign (sixty years later) The Finn is the premier sorceror of this plane and has upgraded his own body/mainframe many times.

well, my Favorite AI that i didn't make is the Red Dwarf's AI, Holly, a AI with the IQ of 6000 who is left alone for three million years and goes completely senile and IQ lowers to 6.

and the AI that i came up with: an AI who, as soon as they uploaded the sci-fi section of the world, he decided to change his name from Harry to Hal and the name os the base he lives on to D.W.H. Airsoft (D.W.H. stand for Disaster Waiting to Happen, and the base is an Orbital facility) he is insanely smart but is hampered by a non-serious attitude and tend to dislike being ordered around (he DOES have Asimov's laws programed into him, or atleast something similar) so he tends to does what he was ordered to do, but in a roundabout way, and sometimes givng the person something completely other than what they wanted to teach them not ot give him orders, but instead to ask him to do something...