Move By/ Move Through

Kyle A.

Re: Move By/ Move Through

OK, let me clarify - it is a limitation, and you don't get increased utlity for limitations, or shouldn't.

Maybe, if the power could logically be used for move throughs, you should buy it with a different movement power.

TP (must pass through intervening space) could be used for a character who can turn to dust and blow to the new point where they re-constitute (for example) and that doesn't really admit to doing a move through.

You can always link an EB to the TP to SIMULATE doing a move through along the path of the teleport....or, in the case of the dust example, maybe a flash would be more appropriate...

I think the name of the Limitation might be a bit misleading. It might be better called, "Must Be Able To Pass Through Intervening Space." In other words, there must be a traversible path from the character to the destination, even though the character does not traverse it.

Because, purely from a physics standpoint, if the character was really passing through the space, then it wouldn't be instantaneous (since space and time are facets of the same thing). As Sean notes, if the character is really passing through the space, it should be a different Movement Power. And also as he wisely notes, a Limitation shouldn't convey added functionality.

Having said all that, I, as a GM, will sometimes allow characters to do a Move Through or Move By with Teleport as the Movement Power (if the SFX seem reasonable). But if they do so, they get no dice for velocity. Teleport has no velocity, by definition. :)

Move By/ Move Through

Yes.

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

I think what Kyle was thinking of (correct me if I'm wrong) is the way some people choose to do Flash-type "speedsters" with a teleport built the way he described it.

Perhaps, looking at it that way, I can see why he thinks it makes sense.

For me, I think such a character should have been built with a movement multipower that includes either running or flight that could be used when you want to do a move-by or move-through.

However, the Ultimate Martial Artist includes the option of creating "move-by/move-through" like manuevers - I mean, moves you can do after making a full move - and I could see putting such manuevers in a "speedster tricks" martial art. I think they also have rules for putting advantages on martial arts mauevers. This is getting into the "very very optional" territory, but you could perhaps have such moves, and put the advantage on them of "range" and a limitation "only to hit targets that were in your path this phase." It would still be problematic to add velocity - teleportation isn't supposed to HAVE velocity, as I understand it.

Finally, you could have an attack with no range, but an area effect, such as "Line" or "Any Area" but defined so that the area has to be the hexes you would have passed through.

Can someone tell me the point of Teleportation, Must have a Clear Path, anyway? I'm still not sure I understand the reason for buying such a power as opposed to, say, Flight, Must be in Contact with a Surface. I just know it's been done.

Lucius Alexander

An ancient incantation to summon a palindromedary: Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas.

What is the goal of attempting to combine Teleport with Must Pass Through Interviening Space with a Move By or Move Through?

Suprise.

That is, a chance lowering the target's DCV due to them not being able to perceive the direction of your attack.

The easiest way to accomplish the combat effects aspect of this would be to buy Invisibility to whatever senses you wish (within reason; Radar wouldn't make sense since a cop's detector should register your speed) and then tack on a limitation of Linked to a minimum amount of movement like Flight or Running.

Problem solved.

HM

Hyper-Man's got in nailed here.

The short answer is no, putting Must Pass Through Intervening Space (or any other Limitation) will not add the ability to do Move Bys and Move Throughs (or any other utility) to Teleport (or any other Power). (With the exception of Charges, of course ;) .)

I've written up Superman/Flash types before using Invisibility Linked to Running. I've even put a stall velocity on the Invisibility (so that if the character drops below full combat velocity, he becomes visible). It's easy enough, and makes for a great Multipower slot.