WWYCD: think of the children

Guest daeudi_454

Guest daeudi_454

Re: WWYCD: think of the children

General answer, I team up with a local reporter, and have him run a story really bashing this guy. Explaining how sick he is, and how he is no better than those he is killing. then I stay close to this reporter as the killer comes to him to try to get him to print his rebuttal.

If he is hesitant, you find a child related to one of his victims and have them crying on local TV. If that doesn't urge a rebuttal out of the killer (and exposing himself enough to leave some traceable clues) then you might not have much chance to catch him again.

Use the kid of one of his victims. Nice technique, but possibly cruel to the child. Not to mention most news companies avoid IDing a child connected in any way to a sex offender. This would cause the killer anguish, but not deter him. As to if it would mean a response to the media and possibly more clues- that would be based on the roleplay involved. Moving enough, it could hapen. Good idea and repped.

The psychosis of this vigillante is one to have people adore and appreciate him for his noble act. If society isn't appreciative' date=' then likely society must be wrong in his eyes. And he will likely do whatever it takes to show what a great service he is doing for these children. [/quote'] I doubt the killer wants adored for it. It isn't about appreciation. It is about Machiavellian fear and control. If copycat killers come into play, then fear will hopefully keep the pervs in check. In fact, he hopes for copycats, the more the better.

Considering the high number of these scum in a metropolis, - regardless of equipment or training- I seriously doubt that the killer actually believes he will get them all before he is killed or permanently captured. And the killer has no intention of an insanity defense. Not guilty by reason of defense, even though he knows it will never fly; unless he can get a jury full of parents- which is highly unlikely.

Not that I believe it would work, just the thought process I came up with for the killer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again' date=' she's more worried about how come there are so many child molesters on the loose in the first place, than she is about what this one vig is doing to stop them. Usually I wouldn't think there would be more than a handful in any one city at any given point in time, given normal population densities & crime rates, yet this guy seems to have no shortage of legitimate targets.[/quote']

Eight million stories in the Naked City. Snow Leopard currently lives and works in Manhattan, where one in a millon happens 8 times a day. And multiple victim pedophiles are more common than one in a million.

Sentinal (genius in power armor) would use his gadgetry pool to create a number of small orbiting spy drones. He will then position one over the home of each remaining multiple offender. It will be programmed to alert him if anyone lingers in the area for more than a few minutes.

Meanwhile, he will hack into the computer database and create a new pedophile identity with an incredible (10+) list of offenses, who has just "moved into the area". The home, a small shack on the edge of town (next door to an elementary school, no less) will be purchased discreetly by Sentinal's billionaire playboy secret ID. He will then monitor the trap... er, home, and await the vigilante.

That's assuming, of course, he doesn't just nod his head and say "Oh, well, we superheroes are busy, you know. I'll make sure to give this all the attention that it deserves..."

I might get whoever I could (even if it was just tabloids) to publish as loudly and obnoxiously as possible about other activites that this person has been up to (bank robberies, assaults, etc) that were completely trumped up. See if it takes bait to either stop the lies, or find out if someone is using his name as a cloak...\

Also, have his earlier driving and shooting demonstrations indicated any skill with vehicular tactics and maneuvers, or with long range weaponry etc?

Also, has his earlier driving and shooting demonstrated any remarkable level of skill? Professional cornering, good shifting, long range accuracy, etc?

You're good.:thumbup:

1> 8 weeks ago, the date seems to be insignificant in relation to convicted cases.

2> He started at the most number of offenses, but once thhe police made thhe connection, he is going seemingly randomly.

3> The rifle bullets were ,22LR Remmingtons, available at any K-Wal. The CS grenades were non--standard, home built jobs. The stun guns are a stun baton, available at any gunshop, plus one built into each fist/wrist of the armor. The exsanguination was performed by tying the victim up, and insert many insulin style needles into neck and wrist vessels- and then pulling the stops out. The garrote was some form of thin wire, either a camp saw or guitar string, difficult to determine form the marks on the neck.

4> The resin is typically used for boat engine areas, highly resistant to heat. The ballistic fiber is coomon to vests, but not in this size. It is possible that bolts of it were directly ordered from the DuPont corporation in Deleware, but would be difficult to get records across state lines. SKILLS: Fiberglass techniques, electronics, Chemistry, Weaponsmith modern.

He has displayed some MA techniques, but nothing to suggest a particular style, or any great mastery.

1) Haha, but what about significant cases that didn't make it to the conviction level?

2) Seemingly random. I check into it in more detail. Also, any women offenders yet?

3) I would go to all the K-Wals within and near the established range of his activities. Acquire the security tapes near the gun counters, and look for repeat faces between them buying that kind of ammo. Investigate those faces. What sort of material is needed to make these home-made grenades? I would investigate those as well. Similar manner, if possible. Who sells batteries for these batons? Sounds like he might be need a lot of those batteries, if not the batons themselves. Look into that. Hope they aren't rechargable, or at least easily hehe. Also, I would look into camping supply and guitar stores, and use the suspect faces from my earlier investigations to see if any of those people made appearences there.

4) See who is buying large quanties of that resin, cross-checking it with previous suspects I have already formed. Also, I would attempt to investigate the DuPont Industries line. Even if I couldn't find out who was buying it, if I could find out where the shipments were coming in, I could track those...

AAS far as state databases for sex offenders. Yeah, more in your area than you would like to know about. Checked one time, there had to be 10-20 in my area (not immediate area, just several towns in my area) who were sex offenders who had been convicted in connection of children. And I live in rural area. One guy had been convicted at least 3 separate occasions. With crimes that included statuatory rape of a 13 year old, and crime against nature (not sure what that means, but I know it had to be bad).

Guest daeudi_454

I might get whoever I could (even if it was just tabloids) to publish as loudly and obnoxiously as possible about other activites that this person has been up to (bank robberies, assaults, etc) that were completely trumped up.

1) Haha, but what about significant cases that didn't make it to the conviction level?

2) Seemingly random. I check into it in more detail. Also, any women offenders yet?

3) I would go to all the K-Wals within and near the established range of his activities.

4) Also, I would attempt to investigate the DuPont Industries line. Even if I couldn't find out who was buying it, if I could find out where the shipments were coming in, I could track those...

Trumped up charges would be ignored, especially since legitimate media would state they could find no evidence for the accusations. Shooting Skills are not indicitive of any special training, if that's what you are aiming for. Driving skills (seen during escape only) show a familiarity with the city, no fear regarding speed, possible police radio in armor, and knowledge of police chase maneuvers.

1> All cases are important to someone. But regarding anniversary- no. Think of this way:

However long to make the decision to kill. Plus 2-4 months to obtain the materials, plus 2-3 weeks of constant labor to make thhe armor and gear (expand this by the fact that the guy probably has a life to lead- work, shopping, etc.) So- figure around 6 months. Not counting the time to make the decision.

2> Yes there have been women, about the same percentage as appear in the registry- but they do seem to be killed more mercifully.

3> K-Wal mart/Meijer, sporting goods stores, gun stores.... that is a lot of tape to go through- good luck!

I have been designing what I refer to as the "Real Armor" for about 5 years now (updating the design, material list, etc.). Between e-bay and other internet sales, which are only traceable if you know what national website to start at, and the massive availability of local suppliers to provide mass produced innocuous items.... . Most of the materials route is a dead end. The only chink in the Armor build plan is large amount of kevlar- about 48 yards or 7 vests. An out-of-state drop would take care of it, but would mean bringing people into a conspiracy. It could be built in anyone's garage. And that's in the real world- Dark Champions would be even easier.

FYI- not counting shipping= $4700, plus external gear. I still need to convert it to 5th ed.

Massey- the Sentinel drones are just nasty- I assume they conceal themselves...brrr.

A new profile would probably be unsuccesful- With entire websites able to be downloaded, he would prob be wise enough to not check for updates after theyn were on to his plan.

I envisioned a list of 60, say done in Excel, and then randomized to pick the next target. The key word here is pragmatism. Different methods of killing are used to establish a lack of a pattern or MO, now that he has created a public awareness, and the fact that he will not harm a cop, plus a couple deaths after his escape- means he can lay low and keep the fear level high with just one a month or so. Even one copycat or just plain vigilant action against these guys will increase the benefits of these tactics.

EDIT: oh- and considering how public the case is, and that the Registry is online... There would be a LOT of hits, assuming they didn't take down the site.

Guest daeudi_454

That's an old euphanism for homosexuality and/or beastiality. Some areas may also have included oral sex.

It is more than likely beastiality.

Can you go into some detail about this "Real Armor?" I find it intriguing.

Ok, well, since apparently I couldn't steal or bribe for the security tapes...... I would use what I know about the armor to have myself a near identical suit crafted, using the DuPont Industries as my supplier. Then, I would commit some minor (but publicized) crimes, and hope the person finds me.

Who knows? I might even get lucky and DuPont would deliver his order to me, and then I would have his name..... hehe.

Guest daeudi_454

Can you go into some detail about this "Real Armor?" I find it intriguing.

Ok, well, since apparently I couldn't steal or bribe for the security tapes...... I would use what I know about the armor to have myself a near identical suit crafted, using the DuPont Industries as my supplier. Then, I would commit some minor (but publicized) crimes, and hope the person finds me.

Who knows? I might even get lucky and DuPont would deliver his order to me, and then I would have his name..... hehe.

Oh- I guess you could go through the tapes, but it would be a LOT of them... and most places only keep 30 days max.

A mock up armor used to commit crimes against normal people would definitely get his ire. They wouldn't deliver his order to you :P hehe, I have trouble getting what I ordered from them, much less any extra info. (I order from the Cyrel printing plate division, not the others, so don't get paranoid)

I plan on posting a thread in DarkChampions which will include the write up, Images, and source material. All in a convenient PDF and HDP format....

I meant if they SCREWED up. You know, get our orders mixed up. I mean, how many people order 47 yards of Kevlar?

But yes, I would do some minor, property destroying crimes.

Oh, and I would show up at his crime scenes as soon after him as possible (only if I got there before police) and ROB the people he killed. In the mock-up armor.

Bet that would get his attention.

Please, I would be very interested in hearing an explanation of how some stuff like this might actually be made in real life. I'm a dork over this kind of stuff.

Guest daeudi_454

Please' date=' I would be very interested in hearing an explanation of how some stuff like this might actually be made in real life. I'm a dork over this kind of stuff.[/quote'] Patience Please!

I plan on posting a thread in DarkChampions which will include the write up' date=' Images, and source material. All in a convenient PDF and HDP format....[/quote']

By source Material, I mean what material, which would be bought from what company, for how much. And hyperlinking those on the PDF to the powers, and vice-versa.

With the disclaimer that it is for a work of fantasy only, and the author in no way encourages any reader to engage in any vigilante behavior or other forms of violence.

Are you kidding? There are over 1788 convicted sex offenders in Indianpolis/Marion County alone. No idea what percentage are baby-rapers' date=' but too damned many. Go to http://www.familywatchdog.org to see how many live in your area.

EDIT: Of the first 20 individuals listed at http://www.indianasheriffs.org for Marion County (Indianapolis)

18 were convicted of a sexual offense with a minor, 1 convicted of 3 offenses. 1 convicted of a crime against an adult.

If those odds are maintained through the rest- that's 89 habitual offenders in Indy alone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what I really like here is the fact that it is almost 50/50 on who would help, and who would capture... If I get that kinda percentage when I run this, it ought to make it very interesting.

Hm....yes, that's a lot of "sex offenders" but what does it take to get on the sex offender registry?

For example, not long ago I read about a case...let me see if I remember it right...

A child was doing something foolish or dangerous, like running into the street. And adult grabbed her arm, and refused to let go until he had finished a stern lecture. He got convicted of, I think the term was "restraint" or "restraint of a child." That's considered a sexual offense, believe it or not, and got that person on the Registry.

Personally, I wish we would scrap this "register sex offenders" BS and have a "violent offenders registry." I could care less if my neighbor is a serial foot fetishist (not that I wouldn't be seriously annoyed if he stole my shoes) but I DO care if he has a habit of committing armed robbery, assault and battery, rape, or pedophilia.

AAS far as state databases for sex offenders. Yeah' date=' more in your area than you would like to know about. Checked one time, there had to be 10-20 in my area (not immediate area, just several towns in my area) who were sex offenders who had been convicted in connection of children. And I live in rural area. One guy had been convicted at least 3 separate occasions. With crimes that included statuatory rape of a 13 year old, and crime against nature (not sure what that means, but I know it had to be bad).[/quote']

I was going to respond, but....

That's an old euphanism for homosexuality and/or beastiality. Some areas may also have included oral sex.

Beat me to it. No, a "crime against nature" is not necessarily bad, but could be.

That said, it's true that pedophilia has an absolutely appalling recidivism rate, and even if the vigilante is being very careful to strike only repeat offenders who have committed genuine crimes against children, there are apt to be a lot of targets in a city this size.

Of all my characters, Stormwalker would have the most interesting response to this situation. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough time right now.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is reminding me I have a DNPC to attend to.....

Patience Please!

By source Material, I mean what material, which would be bought from what company, for how much. And hyperlinking those on the PDF to the powers, and vice-versa.

With the disclaimer that it is for a work of fantasy only, and the author in no way encourages any reader to engage in any vigilante behavior or other forms of violence.

I'm sorry! I'm as excited as a French School Girl! With each separate word capitalized!

SURE you are............. *wink wink*

Guest daeudi_454

Hm....yes, that's a lot of "sex offenders" but what does it take to get on the sex offender registry?

For example, not long ago I read about a case...let me see if I remember it right...

A child was doing something foolish or dangerous, like running into the street. And adult grabbed her arm, and refused to let go until he had finished a stern lecture. He got convicted of, I think the term was "restraint" or "restraint of a child." That's considered a sexual offense, believe it or not, and got that person on the Registry.

Personally, I wish we would scrap this "register sex offenders" BS and have a "violent offenders registry." I could care less if my neighbor is a serial foot fetishist (not that I wouldn't be seriously annoyed if he stole my shoes) but I DO care if he has a habit of committing armed robbery, assault and battery, rape, or pedophilia.

Not sure about all states, but Indiana lists these charges,subject targeting the ones in red.

Rape, Criminal Deviate Conduct, Child Molesting, Child Exploitation, Vicarious Sexual Gratification, Child Solicitation, Child Seduction, Sexual Misconduct with a Minor Class A, Sexual Misconduct with a Minor Class B, Sexual Misconduct with a Minor Class C, Incest, Sexual Battery, Kidnapping of a Minor, Criminal Confinement of a Minor.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar42/ch4.html

What Would Stormwalker Do: think of the children

As I said, of all the characters I've ever played (that this COULD happen to) I think Stormwalker would be the most interesting.

The clouds above Stormwalker's head darken and expand as he listens. The air is still, but grows cooler. Finally he speaks.

"What you ask of me is impious. I don't expect you to understand that, and in fact, it would not necessarily dissuade me - although I hope it always gives me pause. But the reason I will not help you is that it is futile."

The clouds weave about his form.

"You think you are merely fighting a single mortal. Someone whose own child was hurt, and so hunts those who hurt children. But if you capture this one, two more will appear. You might as well be fighting the Hydra."

A strand of cloud rears up, snakelike, then divides, and divides again, until Stormwalker is surrounded by waving tentacles of mist.

"You are not facing one mortal, nor a group of them. You are up against the Furies."

A low rumble of thunder punctuates the word "Furies."

"The Furies are ancient. They are the avengers, the spirits of blood-feud. They are relentless in pursuit. They feed on the suffering and blood of the guilty. Only one thing has ever stopped them, and permitted mortal civilizations to exist, and that is the Pact."

At mention of the Pact, the drifting fogsnakes dissipate.

"One version of the Myth says the Goddess Athena made the Pact. You may know that one. Aeschylus wrote a play. In fact, the Pact was made in different times and places, by Gods and kings and priestesses. In essence, the Pact means that the Furies will not pursue and punish those who are under the King's Protection. Yes, I know, we don't have a literal king - that doesn't matter. Read 'State' if you will, or better yet, 'Law.' But the Pact holds only so long as the king undertakes to establish justice. The specific version of the Pact covering this land dates to when those words - 'establish justice' - were written in the Preamble to the Constitution. And don't think some members of the Constitutional Convention didn't know Who was watching and listening. Why do you think after fighting to be rid of one king, some people wanted to set up George Washington as another? They weren't sure they didn't need a literal king to have a valid Pact."

Stormwalker smiles at the way they are looking at him.

"You don't believe in the Furies, and the Pact? Then look at what happens in the criminal underworld, look at the violence of gang wars. The old word is 'outlaw.' These are people who have repudiated the Pact, who have put themselves outside the protection of the Law, and left themselves at the mercy - no. At the mercilessness of the Furies, alternately possessed and pursued by Them. The outlaw's life is miserable and often short, consumed in the cycle of violence and revenge. Even those you call supervillains have more to fear from one another than from people like me. I for one have never yet killed - although it has been prophesied that I will." He frowns.

"The Kindly Ones (as they are known when restrained by the Pact) are usually content to let the king - or other mortal institutions- deal with finding and punishing the guilty. As long as it gets done. You don't have to catch every wrongdoer, you don't have to punish each one of them, and you can and should permit considerations of reason, of mercy in your system. And after all, mortal law can only be an approximation of true Justice. BUT IT MUST AT LEAST BE AN APPROXIMATION!"

A flash, a smell of ozone, a crack of thunder that somehow does not drown out Stormwalker's last words.

"Forgive the display, but I confess, stupidity makes me angry. Trying to divide something into three equal halves is stupid. Passing a law to change the value of Pi, or to repeal gravity, is stupid. And it is stupid to think you can do without Justice, and not expect Vengeance and Feud to appear. You WILL have one or the other; there is no 'None of the Above' on this question. If this mortal's targets had been duly slain by law, after exhaustive investigation and a fair trail established their guilt beyond doubt, the Kindly Ones would have remained Kindly. Indeed, if they had merely been confined, prevented from doing harm, and perhaps studied by healers in hopes of learning to predict or prevent their evil in future, that may have sufficed. I do not know. But for child-violators to be loosed, even among a populace warned of their presence, seems an obvious violation of the Pact. The wrath of the Furies will follow, and if you want me to stop that, you may as well ask me to stop the Moon in Her orbit. That would be easier."

"We ask for help; we get mythology" grouses the liaison as the clouds begin to clear.

"Mythology is as real as physics, and its consequences as ineluctable," counters Stormwalker. "I will give you advice. You cannot stop the Furies, but there are ways to slow them down. One way would be to get rid of the Register. I don't think that will stop this mortal, who probably already has a list made out. But it will make it harder for those who come after. The Furies can tell by smelling you what you're guilty of, but their mortal agents cannot, and even a Fury will find you faster if She has an address than if She's just randomly sniffing around.....if it comes to that. Meanwhile, I will help in so far as this; Give me a list of what you regard as likely potential victims. If some of them are persons I already have a duty towards, I may take steps to protect them; although I'll also be asking how they got on that list."

Lucius Alexander

The character of Stormwalker is copyright Palindromedary Enterprises, 1991

Skipping the characters who would never, never be in this scenario:

Kira Midori: Is already a cop. She's also telepathic, clairvoyant and precognitive. She loathes pedophiles, but there's that whole "uphold the law" thing. Her most likely obstacle would be fellow officers trying to keep her off the case so she won't solve it too soon.

Talion: Is all too aware that just because you're on a registry doesn't actually mean you're guilty, just that you were convicted. He'd have to reluctantly team up with She-Cat, the New Legends member who has special senses, and would proceed as per Snow Leopard. He hopes that the killer knows to use nonlethal weaponry against costumed types too, because otherwise, well....

And I'll note that Minnesota has laws that do indeed keep people considered the worst sex offenders locked up long after their sentences expire. It's just rather inconsistently applied so far.

Guest daeudi_454

Wow Lucius.... nice read.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lucius again.

SKJAM!- glad MN at least has something better on the books, even if they barely use it.

Most mentalists would have no problem with this, because the killer can't hide his mind.

Conventional means- a bit more difficult, as all personal evidence is self--contained in the armor, and the gear evidence too common to be of use. Stake-outs and someone calling in a report of seeing the guy in armor, or giving potentials a quick form of calling for help (like they give to certain people in Indy who are under threat of violence- its a pendant which immediately informs 911 of an emergency) seem most likely to work. or hacking DuPont' computers- assuming he didn't just disassemble multiple vests from ebay.

Scent tracking across a metropolis never made sense to me- all someone has to do is get in a vehicle and there goes the trail.

Psychological warfare has also been presented in some very interesting and possibly viable ways.

SKJAM!- glad MN at least has something better on the books' date=' even if they barely use it.[/quote']

It's not so much "barely" as inconsistently. Like many penalties, the people who are being indefinitely held "in therapy" are skewed heavily towards being poor and/or dark-skinned. The law's also a little bit iffy constitutionally; there's a strong possibility that one of the challenges will eventually be heard by the courts. (The recent scandal about a woman being murdered by a repeat offender has made the law more popular; the offender was released from prison before the law came into effect.) And of course, there's always the possibility of a false conviction.

Man what a tough decision! Every character I have played would be torn on this issue. My characters tend to think four color, so they would want to hunt a MURDERER down, regardless of any "noble" intentions. BUT as a father I doubt any of my characters would do to much in the way of actually trying to stop the killer from from doing his duty... I mean exacting his vengence.

Let's do a little meta thinking for a minute... let's say one of my characters knew that it was actually a close friend of his that doing the killing (unlikely I KNOW), given his mentality he wouldn't agree with or help the killer but he would PROBABLY protect the killer from any metahuman/ supers that would come after the killer (i.e. "If anyone is going to bring him in it's going to be me.") One of my mentalist characters might even go so far as to provide mental shielding for the killer so mentalists couldn't just go *ding* "There he is!"

Are we so sure he's acting alone?

It sounds to me like he either is/was a cop, knows a cop, worked for some kind of law enforcement agency at some point, worked Loss Prevention, or something else to have so much knowledge of police tactics.

The problem with copycats is they most likely wouldn't be a restrained as the killer was (i.e. Bombs, machine gun fire, possibly views people harmed or killed as "acceptable losses). How would the killer handle a copycat like that?

Guest daeudi_454

Are we so sure he's acting alone?

It is assumed so by the police psychologists, but...

It sounds to me like he either is/was a cop' date=' knows a cop, worked for some kind of law enforcement agency at some point, worked Loss Prevention, or something else to have so much knowledge of police tactics.[/quote']

Loss Prevention and Security Guards are not even the same planet as Police. Most people in those jobs are either desperate, or wanna-bes who didn't pass the exams (including Psych).

That aside- Keep in mind TV and the internet... between COPS and CSI and half a dozen others, anyone can get a good grasp. Not saying you're wrong, but a lot of it IS common knowledge today....

The problem with copycats is they most likely wouldn't be a restrained as the killer was (i.e. Bombs' date=' machine gun fire, possibly views people harmed or killed as "acceptable losses). How would the killer handle a copycat like that? [/quote']

Such copycats would be maimed, and gifted to the police, as a warning to others to "do it right."

I agree that Loss Prevention and Security Guards are not on the same level as police, but they have a better understanding of how the police work than your average person. I will agree that "anyone can get a good grasp" but it sounds like this guy has more knowledge than a "good grasp."

Maybe he has OCD....

The killer "cleans" up his own messes (brutal copycats)... I'm having less and less of a problem with this guy.