Coments and Ideas for this Ice Character.

JohnOSpencer

One of my PCs is creating an Ice character, so I figured I'd post his rough draft up here so you all could do my work...umm... I mean help him out. Thanks.

John Spencer

Freon

Player:

Val Char Cost
15 STR 5
18 DEX 24
18 CON 16
15 BODY 10
18 INT 8
14 EGO 8
13 PRE 3
12 COM 1
10/19 PD 7
10/23 ED 6
5 SPD 22
14 REC 14
50 END 7
50 STUN 18
6" RUN02" SWIM03" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 149

Cost Power END
24 Ice and Cold Control: Elemental Control, 60-point powers, all slots: (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (-1/4) [Notes: Will not work in temperatures above 120 degrees.]
20 1) Ice Slide: Flight 20", Improved Noncombat Movement (x4), Reduced Endurance Half END (+1/4) (56 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) 2
43 2) Ice Blast: (Total: 102 Active Cost, 61 Real Cost) Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance Half END (+1/4) (62 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4) (Real Cost: 50) plus Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (40 Active Points); Vulnerable Common (-1/2), Nonresistant DEF (-1/4) (Real Cost: 23) 6
16 3) Ice Boulder: Energy Blast 7d6 (vs. ED), Indirect Same origin, always fired away from attacker (+1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective Target (4" Radius; +3/4) (70 Active Points); Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) 7
33 Ice Armor: Armor (9 PD/13 ED)
Powers Cost: 136

Cost Skill
9 +3 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks
10 +2 with DCV
6 +3 vs. specific OCV modifier on a tight group of attacks
2 SS: Forensic Science 11-
2 PS: Crime Scene Investigator 11-
3 KS: Crime Scene Investigation (INT-based) 13-
3 KS: Investigation and Deduction (INT-based) 13-
3 Forensic Medicine 13-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Acrobatics 13-
3 Criminology 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
Skills Cost: 50

Cost Perk
5 Fringe Benefit: License to practice a profession, Local Police Powers, Private Investigator License
2 Reputation (A small to medium sized group, 11-) +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 7

Cost Talent
3 Absolute Range Sense
5 Eidetic Memory
Talents Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 350

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 150

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Notes

The CSLs are obviously with his ice powers.

The penalty levels are vs range penalty.

I'm trying to keep DEX lower, so don't suggest he raise it. I may have him go to 20(the party average), but it is his decision to keep it that low.

Again, Thanks!

John Spencer

The Ice Blast is really powerful. You are talkin' a 100 point active attack. As long as you, as the GM, are ok with it. Seems a bit overpowered to me. Why not split it out into two powers of less active points? Maybe Entangle in one slot and EB in another? If you want to get fancy put Not Affected By ice Powers on the Entangle.

I also questions Gestures in superhero games. So without gyrating arms this character can't use the powers. Is that really the case? If so an Entangle would put this character away...

Things you might add/squeeze in (with no regard to point totals):

• Life Support: Cold.
  • Change Environment: Cold.
  • Breaking out the Entangle to its own EC slot might be good, b/c you can still MPA with them. I'm not sure how kosher a combined slot in an EC is under 5th.

Good skills for a Detective/Cop:

• Deduction
  • Conversation and/or Interrogation
  • Shadowing
  • Bugging
  • Paramedics might go well, though he probably deals with people who aren't in need of this skill a lot.
  • Maybe a Contact or three.
  • The two KS skills seem less than useful compared to the standard skills. Knowing about Crime Scene Investigation and Investigation and Deduction isn't the same as doing them. I'd umbrella both of those under the PS.

• Breakfall would go well with Acrobatics. Most acrobats/gymnasts would probably have this one, and it's handy for dealing with knockback. Not at all vital though.

I'm assuming you know the low CON with the buy ups in REC, END and STUN is inefficient, so the character concept is that he's not very much tougher or harder to Stun than a normal. He could take the Vuln. to Knockback and Falling Damage as a Disad to simulate this as well. ("Normal Guy" Disad package in Champs 5th.)

Thanks for all the help guys it is appreciated. I'm the one who will be using this char in John's campaign. We are trying to keep powers less abusive then our last campaign.

All other comments I've already begun refining some aspects of the character and background story. With more refinement in store when I get my hands on UNTIL book.

A few observations (on a generally pretty good character).

Ice Armour might be better against physical attacks than energy ones. Have you considered making it either Cost End or actually a Force Field? Would it melt if he were knocked unconscious? You might be able to add, say "Hardened" and bring it within the points for the EC. If you don't do that, consider giving the Armour the limitation that it's affected by negative adjustment powers that also affect the EC. Check out the section on Power Frameworks in the FAQ on this website.

I'm not sure about the Ice Boulder power. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that some of the other powers and skills Pattern Ghost suggested are more useful and/or more normal for such a character and these all cost points!

Is he a detective or a CSI officer who's gone private? I can't see the law enforcement authorities taking too kindly to someone who tampers with physical evidence, but this is a comic! A more generic detective is probably a lot more interesting to play.

BTW Freon was the name of an ice-using villain whose schtick was turning invisible. I can't recall if he made it even to 4th Edition, but I think he was in "Classic Enemies". Good name and no reason not to use it - just giving you a bit of info you might find interesting.

OOO I like the IR invisibility might have to add that.

Think I'm gonna leave out the boulder for now and change the ice blast around. Ice Armor has changed to Ice Sheath FF. Keep em comeing myself or John will post a work in process :)

Yeah I knew about the old Freon but he didn't seem like a classic Ice powers character IMHO. Might take the disad hunted by him for using his name :P

Originally posted by JohnTaber

The Ice Blast is really powerful. You are talkin' a 100 point active attack...

I concur. And I have to say, I don't get why so many people on these boards waste points on reduced END and figured stats. Pump more points into STR and CON (if your concept will allow). Also taking a SPD of 4 instead of 5 means you'll burn less END. NEVER spend points on REC, END, and STUN! Buy up your primary stats, or your powers, instead.

For this guy I'd recommend changing the Ice Blast to a combo of a small NND (2 - 4 D6) continuous linked to the Entangle so that they take damage as long as they are entangled (because it's freezing in there!).

Also, I'd swap out some of your armor for damage reduction (defined as physical attacks glancing off of the ice, and energy attacks being partially reflected, or dispersed).

For this guy I'd recommend changing the Ice Blast to a combo of a small NND (2 - 4 D6) continuous linked to the Entangle so that they take damage as long as they are entangled (because it's freezing in there!).

I kind of like this idea. We are using a Multipower pool for the attacks and an EC for the FF and enviro powers. And a multi for the movement powers which got set as a +15 run +21 glide side effects big chunks of ice. So I'm thinking of breaking the ice blast out to a 12d6 ED attack then a seperate entangle attack so maybe I'll use the NND/Entangle idea sounds viable if John will let me do that. This ice boulder will probably be changed to an AOE Ice Storm type of attack haven't worked that one out yet. Still liked the idea of this huge ice block falling on some mooks heads :)