How would you build identity disassociation?

Pteryx

If you're familiar enough with Exalted, you may have heard of the Resplendent Destinies used by Sidereal Exalted -- basically identities that are adopted not through disguise, but mystically. Even if the person looks physically identical and makes no attempt at disguise, they're just not perceived as the same person, and actions done in one identity simply aren't associated with the other. Certain things may break the false identity -- in the Sidereals' case, displaying an anima banner does it. In the case I'm considering, seeing someone don the Focus that contains this power would do it automatically and permanently, and being able to compare depictions of the person with and without the Focus would give a chance of realizing that these people don't merely look alike.

How would you build this? -- Pteryx

Re: How would you build identity disassociation?

Well, I'm not all that familiar with Exalted, so I may not be getting the drift you are going for, but the three options that come to mind first are:

1) Shape Shift vs Sight Group, which despite the name may not actually involve any change in shape at all. However, the effect is fairly absolute and thus difficult to see through.

2) Images. This effect can be seen through by very perceptive targets.

3) Mental Illusions, Area of Effect. The effect can be seen through by strong willed individuals. This build is also potentially VERY costly, though it may model the effect you are going for best...

Guest WhammeWhamme

Well, it sounds more of a god-level mind control that is totally irresistable.

Because no matter what senses you have, you won't recognize them.

I don't know Exhalted either: what are the mechanics of the ability? It sounds like a secret ID to me: the sfx being that the characters look the same but they are perceived as different. All a bit dependent on how the GM wants to play it but I would not be inclined to pay points unless there is some in-game advantage, like being able to vanish in plain sight: suddenly you are another person and everyone just assumes that the first one disappeared.

I'm not that familiar with Exalted either, but I agree with Sean; the mechanics will make a big difference. The number of "Resplendent Destinies" that a character can have at any one time would affect how I'd suggest handling it. If the character can assume any other identity he can imagine at any time, then I'd favor Shape Shift, with the SFX that people just don't recognize him as the same person. I'd add Limitations based on the circumstances through which the identity can be penetrated. Based on the circumstances you describe above, I'd call it -1/4.

OTOH if a character can only have a limited number of different Resplendent Destinies to choose from, I would buy each one as the Perk, "Deep Cover." That would in practice give you what you're looking for. It's possible for Deep Covers to be "blown," so I'd just say that the actions you mention would do so.

One idea - Invisibility with Inviisble Power Effects is one route, just recently discussed elsewhere. Basically, you are invisible but it isn' trealized as such by people because they "see" someone right there.

Given that it sounds to me like you also want the negative aspects of being seen (being stopped by guards, etc.) this may not work, though. In theory you could add a Limitation such as "Visible as someone else" but I think that's kludgy. The ONLY reason I make this suggestion is IF in terms of plot the character is never stopped or harrassed or such - in which case he's as good as invisible, then.

Resplendent Destines are an odd effect. The Sidereal more or less creates a completely new idenity. They can't imitate a specific person, but their new identity will be functionally real for as long as they hold it. It can be completely different from their "true" identity, even a different gender.

If the appearance is the same but the person is just perceived differently, it sounds like a successful Acting roll to me; this might be a Skill bought as a Power with the limitation "Only to change identities". At a high enough level (18- on the roll) you could just assume it was automatic.

That said, I still think I like Lord Liaden's simpler Deep Cover suggestion better for most cases.

"Nobody must know my name, for nobody would understand, and you kill what you fear, and you fear what you don't understand." - The Guide Vocal from The Duke's Travels

For what genre is this? For superheroes, a common genre convention is the minute change to alter identies. Clark removes his glasses and is Superman, and no one has the slightest chance of noticing the two have identical faces, voices, posture and body language. Many supers just put on a tiny mask. Others might pull back or let loose their hair. There is no cost for this effect, it's just part of the genre. And of course, if someone witness them change from one identity to another, or sees the wrong identity using powers associated with the other, the observer may connect them together. This sounds very similar to the effect you want. The thing is, in a superhero game, this costs no points because it's a common convention used throughout the genre. It's not so much a power, but simply a way to keep all the supers out of ski masks.