Mjolnir

Starlord

Re: Mjolnir

Exactly' date=' he blocks them simply because he can. It is pretty much all ranged attacks that he's ready for, so why not? I don't see Thor as having Superman type invulnerability, but I see him more as a damage sponge...he's just really, really tough. From a HERO standpoint, Thor has more damage reduction and Supes has more damage resistance (hardened, of course). Bullets and lasers probably sting a bit, so why let them. Although, I agree with Chuck that it's also a good setup for a PRE attack.[/quote']

I agree that Thor has some level of damage reduction and high but not tremendously excessive defenses. Plus enormous Con and Stun. That would explain why chumps like the Wrecking Crew can inflict stun on him routinely, but not be able to win.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catacomb -- Not kidding in the slightest bit, about either the Thanos-clones ("My own unique blend of clone, android, and mystical doppelganger") or about the Ka-zar thing.

To get rid of 'Thanos vs. Ka-zar, Thanos loses', I will accept Thanosbots. The alternative is just too sanity-blasting to contemplate.

(But Squirrel Girl still legitimately kicked his ***! :D )

It was just so cool seeing Firelord and Thor chase down Thanos and Kurse, and Kurse grinding Thor's face onto those sharp rocks while Thanos gave his victory speech, and then Thor crossed that second line...oh man I loved it. Especially when Thor sent Thanos reeling and Thanos was genuinely suprised, was good stuff, good writing. Damnit, Thanos bot crap...gibble...gobble...blah!

Supes' date=' at full Silver Age power, is as fast as the Flash with Super Strength as a bonus.[/quote']

Hey, Post-Crisis, Supes still has 99% of lightspeed superspeed level -- which is 99% as fast as any member of the Flash family except Wally himself, who can go FTL (Jay Garrick and the rest, can't.)

Just, Supes hardly ever *uses* his superspeed, but fug, Superman not using powers he has most of the time, hardly a new problem.

With that logic Thor could just fry supes with magic' date=' and it really wouldn't be hard. Everyone forgets just how powerful Thor really is because Thor essentailly plays with kid gloves all of the time. Yes I know Superman does as well, but I don't know it its to the same extent. Thor has beaten, and I mean trashed Thanos in a fight toe to toe and Thanos is a galactically powerful uber-villian. Alot of that has to do with the fact that Thor knows Thanos can take, and give, a punch. Also remember that Thor has three levels of power that have been pretty neatly defined.[/quote']

Theoretically, Thor can win pretty much every fight just by dimensionally teleporting you. He also has the ability to have Mjolnir drain the life force from even cosmically powerful beings. Although, nobody ever seems to remember Superman has Flash level superspeed, too. :)

It was just so cool seeing Firelord and Thor chase down Thanos and Kurse' date=' and Kurse grinding Thor's face onto those sharp rocks while Thanos gave his victory speech, and then Thor crossed that second line...oh man I loved it. Especially when Thor sent Thanos reeling and Thanos was genuinely suprised, was good stuff, good writing. Damnit, Thanos bot crap...gibble...gobble...blah![/quote']

Note, during the Warrior Madness arc, the real Thanos took on Odin.

And fought him to a draw.

In Asgard.

So Thanos, him not shabby. And him (the real him) legitimately above Thor's league.

Note, we have a scene later of the real Thanos assaulting Asgard -- and he fought Odin to a draw.

Odin.

Thanos, him not shabby.

When Thor hits overdrive he is the Odinson, he has daddy's powers. Its been that way since he was allowed to return to Asgard. Moreso more recently as well since Odin has gotten 'sick' he has even greater access, just in case.

Theoretically' date=' Thor can win pretty much every fight just by dimensionally teleporting you. He also has the ability to have Mjolnir drain the life force from even cosmically powerful beings. Although, nobody ever seems to remember Superman has Flash level superspeed, too. :)[/quote']

Its what he did to Juggernaught.

No' date=' it was that way since daddy finally passed on and let him inherit the Odinpower, which was another arc entirely and eventually led to the stupidest ending of a THOR series ever. :cry:[/quote']

I haven't read it recently so its good what you said is not true.

Nope, not true, not at all, nope...okay thanks bye.

Yeah' date=' I've seen the energy when he throws it a lot, but I always figured it was just atmospheric effects or lightning trails.[/quote']

To my mind, you can't separate Mjolnir's magic from its physicality. The more determined Thor gets, the more artists draw magical effects around it. Thor doesn't think "Hmm, I'd better charge my hammer up with magic lightning." He just wails away on the bad guy and the hammer does its thing. I disagree with Busiek on that point.

Look' date=' you hit a guy with a train and he keeps coming its time for a new tactic.[/quote']

Exactly. Thor isn't stupid. He just prefers to slugfest the old-fashioned way, and will only change tactics if he tries the straightforward beatdown and it fails to work. Thor virtually never leads off with the exotic stuff.

Is not a crippling Psych Lim, just that Moderate "Prefers Slugfest" I mentioned earlier.

To my mind' date=' you can't separate Mjolnir's magic from its physicality. The more determined Thor gets, the more artists draw magical effects around it. Thor doesn't think "Hmm, I'd better charge my hammer up with magic lightning." He just wails away on the bad guy and the hammer does its thing. I disagree with Busiek on that point.[/quote']

Always seemed to be subconscious to me as well.

No' date=' I'm talking about sans power gem, I'll find the issues when I get home, but it was Thor, and Firelord vs.(I'm wanting to say Kurse) and Thanos. Thor broke out the gaunts and belt and gave him a whoopin' big time. Thanos even made the comment 'Ah Odinson I see you have finally come prepared to fight me, it is about time you learned I am not one of those terran bound insects you play with so often and seem to care so much for.'[/quote']

I thought that was Thor #25 or so of his second run. It was Thanos and Mangog, I thought.

I thought that was Thor #25 or so of his second run. It was Thanos and Mangog' date=' I thought.[/quote']

It freaking is Mangog, thank you. The trimming villian doesn't matter Thanos was the big fish. Although I wasn't sure it was Kurse myself, as evidenced by my original post. Time to break out the Thor stuff tonight methinks.

Actually, it's *not* -- given that Thor was able to use Mjolnir to cut Juggernaut off from his power source later.

Where Thor erred lay in matching himself against Cytorrak's *strongest* point (resistance to physical damage), instead of matching his strength vs. Juggernaut's weakness. He's the Juggernaut, being physically invulnerable with a capital "I" is his *thing*. Thor simply found a way around that, not directly through it.

That's legitimate.

Actually, it's *not* -- given that Thor was able to use Mjolnir to cut Juggernaut off from his power source later.

Where Thor erred lay in matching himself against Cytorrak's *strongest* point (resistance to physical damage), instead of matching his strength vs. Juggernaut's weakness. He's the Juggernaut, being physically invulnerable with a capital "I" is his *thing*. Thor simply found a way around that, not directly through it.

That's legitimate.

Chuck is right, also remember that Thor had theat 'sickness' on him during the fight that kept coming up at very bad times as sick feelings are apt to do. Thor went after Juggs in a physical manner, had he looked at it more outside of the box it would have been easy to just cut him off, as he later did.

It freaking is Mangog' date=' thank you. The trimming villian doesn't matter Thanos was the big fish. Although I wasn't sure it was Kurse myself, as evidenced by my original post. Time to break out the Thor stuff tonight methinks.[/quote']

I kinda have to with ChuckG on this one, though, re: Thanos' power level. Thor did beat down Thanos, but he gathered together all his other magical weapons (strength-doubling belt, special gloves) and had the dwarves build him that uber-protection shield to be able to do it. Firelord may have helped, too, if I'm remembering right.

I kinda have to with ChuckG on this one' date=' though, re: Thanos' power level. Thor did beat down Thanos, but he gathered together all his other magical weapons (strength-doubling belt, special gloves) and had the dwarves build him that uber-protection shield to be able to do it. Firelord may have helped, too.[/quote']

All is true but Firelord, he went down like a sack of po-ta-toes(Said in best Samwise voice.).