Real-Life Hyperspace Theory?

Chuckg

Re: Real-Life Hyperspace Theory?

Causality. Relativity. Faster than Light travel.

Pick two out of three. Problem is, tossing out relativity is going to be hard without contradicting over a century's worth of experiments that show special relativity works.

Agreed. And there are even more problems if you toss out causality.

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3v.html#causality

Frankly this looks more like junk science than anything else.

And you will find plenty who will agree with you

http://www.adastragames.com/news.cgi?msgid=473

The only thing this theory has going for it is the fact that it accurately predicts the masses of various subatomic particles, which no other theory does. But that is a pathetically thin thread to hang from.

However, it will work marvelously in a Hero campaign.

ChuckG said:

ObGaming -- do you realize that with just one assumption for your gameorld -- that this news story is true and soon bears fruit -- this lets you plausibly run hard-science(*) interstellar campaigns set in 2015?

Man, if this article had been brought to my attention only a *few weeks* earlier, I could be doing this instead of the Champs game I'm starting up soon.

Two SF novels in the "submarine into spacecraft" genre are The Daleth Effect by Harry Harrison and Gilpin's Space by Reginald Bretnor.

Both of them start in current mundane times. And in both, some scientist invents the stardrive, and spends the rest of the novel being pursued by the agents of every government on the planet.

Perhaps this sort of scenario could be used as a bridge from your current campaign into an Interstellar 2015 campaign?

Of course! This is for a space opera RPG' date=' not reality.[/quote']

OK, thought we were talking reality there. I'm told I get those two confused sometimes.

Daleth Effect: great book. (And due for a re-read, I would say.)

bigdamnhero

[twack!] “Message for you, sir.â€

The only thing this theory has going for it is the fact that it accurately predicts the masses of various subatomic particles' date=' which no other theory does. But that is a pathetically thin thread to hang from.[/quote']

Given that it does so when nothing else ever has, and that its predictions have proven even more correct as we add more precision to universal constants, it may not be as pathetic as all that.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm only saying that theoretical physics is a tenuous place for dogma. ;)

Causality. Relativity. Faster than Light travel.

Pick two out of three. Problem is, tossing out relativity is going to be hard without contradicting over a century's worth of experiments that show special relativity works.

Frankly this looks more like junk science than anything else.

Could be right that this is 'junk science.'

Then again, science is simply an incomplete description of What Is, and there have been many paradigm shifts (and will probably be a few more.) That's without even going near the debate about how much influence observers have on things...

BTW, there's now some interesting observations concerning the properties of space-time near black holes that suggest space-time might be pretty close in properties to the 'luminiferous aether' that was debunked over a century ago with the Michelson-Morley experiment, and that they weren't as completely wrong as has been assumed. http://www.sciamdigital.com/browse.cfm?ITEMIDCHAR=5D1B0A6E-2B35-221B-66BE12222958AD41&methodnameCHAR=&interfacenameCHAR=browse.cfm&ISSUEID_CHAR=5CE65F08-2B35-221B-6CA922740414072A&ArticleTypeSubInclude_BIT=0&sequencenameCHAR=itemP