Power Construction: Spreadable Plague

red_eagle123

I'm working on building my own version of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, and I just came up with a great idea for Plague. The problem comes in how to build the power I came up with.

Here's the idea:

Anyone Plague touches gets infected. Once infected, the victim will go on a mindless rampage, attacking anyone nearby who is not already infected. Anyone they touch is likewise infected. While infected, the victim has heightened strength & defenses. If the victim is restrained, and completely unable to move for 2 of their phases, the plague burns itself out of the victim.

I can figure most of it out, the part that I'm stuck on is the 'spreading from victim to victim' portion.

Since it's a super-villain I'm not too worried about cost. Also since I will be using this against NPC's and PC's, I'd like to give the PC's a slim chance to resist it (However repeated exposures reduce that chance to resist), but any NPC's are automatically infected (I thought about making it based on Ego rolls, but my Players didn't really buy up their Ego's at all).

Last thing, just for fun, I decided that anyone who's infected turns a beet red color, to easily distinguish who's infected and who's not.

So, I turn to the assembled herodom, is it possible to construct a power like this, and if so, how would you educated Hero scholars build it?

P.S. Yes, I got the idea from the Return of Optimus Prime cartoon plague, so sue me for not being original :D

Re: Power Construction: Spreadable Plague

I don't have my books or anything (work) but off the top of my head

Mind Control (only to berserk) uncontrolled , continuous, sticky (like fire, right?) linked with an aid to the stats you want to boost and a side effect or SFX beet red or visible effects. Probably want reduced end. To simulate the two phases thing, I'd go with limited power yadda yadda yadda -1.

Now one of the smarter people will probably give you a much better answer, but thems my two cents.

Hmmm. My first thought was a Major Transform to Plague Victim (same as normal with DF: Red Skin and Berserk) and make it Sticky, Continuous and Uncontrolled.

This would give them the option of succumbing over a period of a few minutes or a few days or a few seconds.

The problem is going to be with breakout rolls. Berserk when Conscious, change to go 14-, change to recover 8-. Even if someone breaks out, it won't be for more than a second or two.

I think Mind Control would be more economical and simulate the effect he's looking for more accurately. They aren't really changing into something, they're being affected and I think he wants them able to fight it with a mundane method rather than something exotic like power defense. So Mind Control based on Con if you want to avoid ego stuff.

But i'd go with Ego and punish your heroes for not spending their points on something other than combat prowess.

The upside of the Transform is the simplicity of its execution. All Transforms need a way to be countered. This fits nicely with the Restrained for Two Rounds idea. PC's, having high Body, will be more resistant, especially with an All or Nothing requirment.

That's my vote.

He did say there was a heightened STR with it, suggesting a Transform.

Mind Control/AID has its advantages but seems a bit clunky IMO. AID has a fade rate on it, pushing it down the chart still means the victims STR fades away leaving them in a frenzied MindControl.

Transform with a "Effect may be avoided for x-period of time with an EGO Roll" will allow for the PCs, higher level NPCs and anyone else the GM wants a chance to avoid to have it. Anyone else (normals mostly) have a low enough EGO they'll succumb, or the GM can wave it.

Major Transform, sticky, vs. physical defense rather than power defense.

If you want it to be somewhat effective against PCs, add the penetrating advantage to it.

Add a number of points to their STR and other stats=the points in the new disads. The Transform they have is "free".

If you want the Transform to be short lived, that can probably be done with a limitation on the power.

Mind Control/AID has its advantages but seems a bit clunky IMO. AID has a fade rate on it' date=' pushing it down the chart still means the victims STR fades away leaving them in a frenzied MindControl.[/quote']

I've never been fond of the kludgy Mind Control uses (eg the single command "STOP!"). While Mind Control may be able do the job, it is certainly a stretch on the power.

I've never let in anything like this in my campaigns and I never would.

I've never been fond of the kludgy Mind Control uses (eg the single command "STOP!"). While Mind Control may be able do the job, it is certainly a stretch on the power.

I've never let in anything like this in my campaigns and I never would.

I agree with you here... would I could Rep you I would, but I've been too generous lately and must wait some time.

I guess the new joke about the do everything powers should be "just buy it as XDM, usable against others, AOE, megascale--the PCs are transported into a dimension where everything is the same, except the populace is crazed and attacking each other"

If a "wish" can be built that way, you can build every effect imaginable by just saying "I travel to a world where everything is the same, except this happens":p