Cyberpunk Hero?

zakueins

Re: Cyberpunk Hero?

Here's an idle thought. It's traditional for Yakuza to cut off body parts to atone for messing, but it's less common now in reality because that kind of DF is less accepted in Japan. The lifelike prosthesises of this genre offer a way to avoid that problem.

I'm not looking forward to Cyber Hero' date=' but then again I have the previous edition and that could be said to have scarred me for life.[/quote']

A number of people have told me that Kazei 5 is far better a sourcebook than 4th Editon Cyber Hero.

Back in The Day I sloged through one or two of those Shadowrun paperbacks. I found them incomprehensible.

Those weren't Cyberpunk. Those were bad fiction.

If you really want a good taste of the genre pick up some short story anthologies, I suggest Mirrorshades and Burning Chrome.

80% of the Shadowrun Authors had no experience with the Game Mechanics only the Meta Plots. I owned all the Shadowrun Novels at one point and have to agree that 80% of them were really really bad, but a few like Micheal Stackpole and Nigel Findley were very good.

Just my 2 cents

QM

• 3 weeks later...

To my mind the toys and trappings of Cyberpunk are easy. The hard part is defining a setting that is neither so one dimensional that it quickly grows tired' date=' but not so complicated and dense that it's impenetrable for players.[/quote']

Isn't "Cyberpunk" kind of passe as a genre? :eg:

Isn't "Cyberpunk" kind of passe as a genre? :eg:

I don't think so, personally. I think the writings that made it popular in the 80's are dated, but I don't think the genre itself is. There was a thread recently discussing this in detail actually. I just finished reading Robert K Morgan's 5 books which are all contemporary cyber[something] -- would have been called cyberpunk if they were put out 20 years ago more relevantly.

In my own current focus, detailed here: MetaCyber, I mix in a little metahuman elements, but the setting would work even without that.

We're both in San Diego so its not impossible for us to sit outside Starbucks by Game Empire and discuss it some fine day in person.

Eh, there are always those that like to say that "x is dead". All they're really saying is that their minds are closed to new interpretations. Stagnation effect.

Personally, I try to take things on their own merits and flaws and not try to apply arbitrary judgments -- particularly those based upon nothing more than a date based elitism. ;)

Eh' date=' there are always those that like to say that "x is dead". All they're really saying is that [i']their [/i]minds are closed to new interpretations. Stagnation effect.

Personally, I try to take things on their own merits and flaws and not try to apply arbitrary judgments -- particularly those based upon nothing more than a date based elitism. ;)

Aye.

Personally - I think it is dead as a "movement" - especially a social elitist movement based on (of all things) your choice of clothing.

(I was laughing with the Authors of The Real Cyberpunk Fakebook).

As a literary movement (which it started as, continued as, and will always be as far as I'm concerned) it is far from a dead thing.

I picked up The Traveler (John Twelve Hawks) a few months ago and consider it very cyberpunk - and hope to find the time to finish reading it someday.