HWY: "Take a bullet"

mallet

I have a player who is making a character for a DC game that is/was a bodyguard. He was wondering about what type of ability/power would let you "take a bullet" for someone else. And I really did not know the answer.

How would you guys build a power like that?

I was thinking something like Missle Defelection with the At Range modifier because this lets you block attacks at people standing with in a 1" radius of the character. And then addon a big limitation that you can only "deflect" attacks by taking the damage yourself.

Or something like that.

I also thought "armor" with a "trigger" might work.

What does Herodom think about this?

Re: HWY: "Take a bullet"

The optional maneuver Dive For Cover can also be used to put yourself between an attack and its target.
Yes. Mentor's character Prodigy did just that in one of our games (although it was a dagger, not a bullet) when he DFC'd to protect a sacrificial victim from a fanatic's knife. Took 13 BODY through his defenses too. :eek:

The maneuvers Block and Martial Block can also be used for defending versus hand-to-hand attacks against another character as well. All you need is a Held Action (or the GM can allow an Abort to protect another character.) Why do you think those Secret Service agents always are just standing around? They're Holding their Actions. ;)

Now that's "taking" a bullet! From across the room without even moving even!

So, so you work for the Department of Redundancy Department? :)

And hey, the OP just asked how to do something. I just look at ways to do it, not vet it for it being a good idea. Though I should've included the requested 1" range max. ;)

Seriously, Dive For Cover was specifically designed for this task. It's also designed to get your character away from a grenade, same mechanic either way really. Make a DEX roll to put yourself in the path of the bullet before it's fired/hits the target, with a penalty for how far you have to move. I allow DFC to take a bullet to be aborted to just like a defensive maneuver. I also typically ignore the roll. If someone wants to take a bullet for someone else, they always succeed. Not only is it heroic and such heroism should be rewarded, I've never seen it fail in fiction. The only exception is when Mr. Invulnerable starts acting like a Force Wall for the team. If he wants to do it that way, then he buys lots of Movement and Missile Deflection.

So' date=' so you work for the Department of Redundancy Department? :)[/quote']

Yes I do work there, and I'm also an employee.

And hey, the OP just asked how to do something. I just look at ways to do it, not vet it for it being a good idea. Though I should've included the requested 1" range max. ;)

Isn't a range of 1" the same as No Range... or rather, Adjacent?