How would you construct "Fake Memories"?

bryanb

Re: How would you construct "Fake Memories"?

Originally posted by bryanb

I have a mentalist in my campaign and would like to run an adventure where the antagonist, when "attacked" with Telepathy, gives the character a false memory...How would you do this?

Depending on the magnitude of the memory:

minor transform, BOECV, vs. Ego not Body(+1/4), Damage Shield, Continuous, 0 END, 3d6(127 Active points)

or major transform, 2d6, advantages as above.

The down side is that this would take several attacks to achieve the desired effect.

Telepathic mind control might also be able to achieve that effect.

Mental Illusions might do it(an illusory memory).

You could maybe do it with images to memory, BOECV, damage shield.

I would actually use two abilities to do this. First I would use Shape Change versus Mental Group so that the basic mind pattern would be disguised. Then I would take levels of Mental Defense with the following; Variable Memories (allowing the person to adjust the memories to fit the situations) (+1/4) and only to set up a false history and memories (-1).

Shape Change (Mental Group, Variable Mind Pattern) 25 points (25 active points)

Endurance Reduction and Imitation can be added for added color.

Mental Defense (+20 def, Variable memories/histories (+1/4), only to give false Memories/ Histories (-1)) 13 points (26 active points)

G

I'd build it as Mental Illusions, Damage Shield, with perhaps an "Only For Giving Illusion Of False Memories" Limitation, with perhaps lots of diceage and Standard Effect. If it's on Damage Shield, it automatically hits the target if the target uses a Mental Power on him.

If you're specifically asking how to implement mine in play, I'd think that false memories wouldn't take very much on the Mental Illusions dice; you're just creating, essentially, an illusion against a Mental sense (EGO or EGO+10). Of course, for more detailed memories, you might need more effect.

Originally posted by archer

If you're specifically asking how to implement mine in play, I'd think that false memories wouldn't take very much on the Mental Illusions dice; you're just creating, essentially, an illusion against a Mental sense (EGO or EGO+10). Of course, for more detailed memories, you might need more effect.

More precisely, I'm curious to see how you would implement false memories on the role-playing level. I can think of a couple of ways, but it would be interesting to see how you or others would role-play the effects.