Custom Mechanon

Ascolacicola

I want to base a 6-session gaming arc around mechanon (e.g. the 'heros' get caught up in a mechanon scheme and the session ends with a Mechanon showdown). I was wondering if anyone has any recommended modifications or "re-envisionments" of the iconic champions supervillain. The 'heros' will be near 300 points when they finally face Mechanon.

Also, I was wondering if anyone can remember a favorite minion that Mechanon used in past games. I'm starting from scratch and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Custom Mechanon

One of the gm's in our group;for his closed world;turned Mechanon into an Automaton & he's got some of Engineer's powers(over machines).In this world Mechanon took over Genocide & replaced all it's operatives w/robot doubles, & so he has control of all those Minutemen(who were also turned into Automaton).I did a similar thing years ago in a dimension-hopping game(Mechanon & Engineer got merged at one of his factories).Mechanon also has human-sized Minutemen(yea he read X-men during the last Sentinel storyline).As Automatons these Minutemen are tough fights,very tough.(one time we faced 3 of them.We lost 2 heroes (out of 8 heroes;one got better though :ugly: .He has resurrection.)& we only took out one & lightly damaged a second.(the hero we lost was Grond.)

Do you have the Fifth Edition Champions genre book with the latest incarnation of Mechanon? Because that book leaves Mechanon's true origin a mystery, there have been a couple of discussion board threads here exploring various origin concepts for him, with quite a few plot seeds implicit in them:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12908

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37502

If you do have the Champs genre book, you'll notice that Mechanon has the power to Summon servant robots, assembling them from nearby technology. You can download the stats for his baseline robots as a PDF from this page in the "Free Stuff" part of the website: http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/writeups.htm

As far as servants go, Digital Hero #12 features an adventure, "Unearthed Mechana," which besides being a good introductory scenario to a campaign, includes a less powerful "feminine" version of Mechanon.

There was an IMO very good adventure for Fourth Edition Champions, Blood Fury, published under license by Atlas Games, which presents a mutli-session story arc featuring Mechanon, and which also details several robotic minions for him. It would take little work to prepare it for a Fifth Edition game. I can suggest online sources to buy it from if you're interested.

Finally, if you haven't seen it yet Galactic Champions describes a massively upgraded future incarnation of Mechanon with plenty of lesser robots at his command. One of the origins in the discussion board threads above suggests how to incorporate that version into a modern-day Champions campaign using Mechanon.

I hope some of that is of use to you. :)

Thanks for your responses so far. I do not have the genre book but I may look into it. I'm curious about the all-powerful mechanon and I would love to look into the galactic heros book.

I think I have my backstory for Mechanon ifigured out (shodan meets skynet). I'm more interested in powers/skills/stats/talents to assign him. Cool attacks, interesting defenses, good for having one supervillain fending off a half dozen 275-325 pt characters.

I agree with Sketchpad. Mechanon as designed in the genre book would make an excellent climactic confrontation for the group you suggest. He's more powerful and far more versatile than any previous version - fourteen offensive Multipower slots in two separate Multipowers, plus wide-spectrum Defenses and lots of other neat Skills and abilities - but his Defense level is such that a team of lower-powered heroes can still beat him with luck and good tactics.

As for "Mechanon 3000" from Galactic Champions, your PCs will want to stay away from him for a long, long time. Try to picture the Death Star as Mechanon's head. :eg:

I always pictured Machanon 3000 as that dude from the Transformers movie more than the Death Star...

Either way the As Is Mechanon in the 5E sourcebooks is more than enough of a match for a group of 300pt Heros.

Unicron ... I agree ;)

• 2 years later...

When 4th Ed first rolled out, I ran the 'Mechanon Tries To Melt The Ice Caps' Scenario. Our robotic villian jacked a bunch of tech (to save time because his resources were tied up) and recruited Armadillo to his team. The Armadillo armor was mass produced (see, the Mechanon factories were preocupied) and thugs recruited to wear the armor (building computer controls for all those power suits would take more time and resources - humans are cheap, free, and expendable). Once set up at the Frozen North, teams of heroes from all over the world responded. Our PC's got to meet other heroes - Everyone was shocked to see fifty Armadillos, and I got to explain why the Russian guy went from having 128 duplicates for 3rd Ed to only 8 duplicates for 4th Ed.

Copy a power suit, put expendable humans inside - the heroes don't hit the living as hard.

I threw a pair of redesigned Mechanon mods at our team MidGuard. They're 30 foot long centipedes with clinging, HKA jaws, and seismic sensors to track unseen ground targets. They're time-traveling alien robots in our campaign, but there's no reason not to make them revert to being (unusual) Mechanon bodies. :eg:

HDC file attached.

My highschool GM did "Night of the Mechanons". We faced sleek, fast, gleaming black "Stealth"Mechanons, a Giant Silver Mechanonolith, a bursting with energy golden Mechanoblaster, and a Purely frightening crystal component PSIONIC Mechanon.

Also News of the World had the Champions face a 50 foot Mechanon. Don't remember if it was written up.

Pipes, fins, neon, obnoxious sound system blasting gangsta rap about destroying all life, custom paint....

As printed for 5th I think I'd tone Mechanon down a bit if your players are using characters just shy of 300 points. He's built with the assumption of 350 point characters + experience. Maybe shave a few to several points off his defenses here and there, and cut down his DCs by a few here and there.

As printed for 5th I think I'd tone Mechanon down a bit if your players are using characters just shy of 300 points. He's built with the assumption of 350 point characters + experience. Maybe shave a few to several points off his defenses here and there' date=' and cut down his DCs by a few here and there.[/quote']

Well, IME the version of Mechanon printed in the Champions genre book is just about right for a team of starting heroes. Admittedly his attacks are pretty large, and he has two Multipowers; but only his Overall Skill Levels apply to a Multiple-Power Attack, and his Defenses are at a level where most starting PCs can hurt him, and even Stun him with Coordinated attacks and good rolls.

OTOH Mech's reprint in Evil Unleashed adds 50% Physical and Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, which obviously gives him far greater staying power. If you were also to change his "+4 with Primary Weapons Array Multipower" (12 points) to "+4 with Ranged Combat" (20 points) so he has full OCV for MPAs, he'd be a much bigger threat.