WONDERFUL picture for Pulp Aircraft

gewing

Re: WONDERFUL picture for PUlp Aircraft

Sweet! It's from '43' date=' but could have been built during the 30's in a pulp milieu.[/quote']

I was primarily thinking in a "Jetboy", Sky Captain, or Crimson Skies type scenario, there could be at least some people with higher technology, whether the whole aircraft industry advanced faster or not.

Imagine if WWI lasted until 1921...

Re: WONDERFUL picture for Pulp Aircraft

Reminds me of the Dornier Do-335.
Known as the Arrow, the Dornier 335 had propellers at both the front and rear of the fusilage in a "push-pull" configuration. Until the advent of jets the Arrow was the fastest fighter plane in the world. A terrific example of cutting edge German aeronautics.

Known as the Arrow' date=' the Dornier 335 had propellers at both the front and rear of the fusilage in a "push-pull" configuration. Until the advent of jets the Arrow was the fastest fighter plane in the world. A terrific example of cutting edge German aeronautics.[/quote']

If/when I get around to writing "Look! Up in the sky! II", the Dornier 335 will be included (as will the Me-262).

Here is some more information on this plane:

The Do-335 was one of a small group of aircraft marking the pinnacle of international piston-engined development.

It was the fastest production piston-engined fighter ever built, attaining 846 kilometers per hour (474 mph) in level flight at a time when the official world speed record was 755 kph (469 mph). Powered by two 1800-hp engines in a unique low-drag configuration and weighing 9600 kg (21,000 lb) loaded, it was an exceptional heavy fighter. This very innovative design also featured an ejection seat, for pilot safety, and a jettisoning fin.

The unconventional layout of the Do-335 -- one engine "pulling" in the nose and another "pushing" in the tail -- was patented by Claudius Dornier in 1937. The configuration provided the power of two engines, but with reduced drag and better maneuverability. The German Aviation Ministry (RLM) was interested in the design, but initially wanted Dornier only to produce bombers. By 1942, Dornier was still continuing design work and the war situation was worsening. The Luftwaffe now needed a multi-purpose fighter, and the prototype Do-335V-1 ("V" indicating "versuchs" or "experimental") flew in fighter form in September, 1943 - six years after its conception. Orders were immediately placed for 14 prototypes, 10 A-0 preproduction aircraft, 11 production A-1 single-seaters, and 3 A-10 and A-12 two-seat trainers.

In working on the color text for Sora-hime (http://surbrook.devermore.net/superpics/sora_hime.html), I wanted to find a cool plane for the cast to get around in. Since the setting was the Pacific, I decided a sea plane was the best bet. Lo and behold, the Sikorsky S-38. Two crew, 8-10 passengers, top speed of around 120, range of 600-750 miles.

And here's a picture:

Just a side thing...but the "fastest plane" thing is inaccurate. A WW2 Bearcat (Albeit, heavily streamlined) holds the current single engine rating at 529 mph. (Rare Bear, Reno racer) But that's not the fastest prop plane. The honor goes to the TU-95 bear, 4 engined bomber, at 575 mph. But all of that aside, since we're really focusing on WW2, we have this:

"With a top speed of 487mph in a clean configuration, the P-51H was the fastest propeller-driven aircraft produced during World War II."

http://www.flightjournal.com/plane_profiles/p-51_mustang/p-51_mustang_history.asp

Sorry, I just knee jerk on this issue. Like when BMW claims to have invented the jet engine, some 2 years after Frank Whittle had started construction on his....

EDIT: And hopefully Treb and Mike will understand this isn't directed at them, since I see the arrow quoted as the fastest plane on any number of sites, and it just bugs me.

Just a side thing...but the "fastest plane" thing is inaccurate. A WW2 Bearcat (Albeit, heavily streamlined) holds the current single engine rating at 529 mph. (Rare Bear, Reno racer) But that's not the fastest prop plane. The honor goes to the TU-95 bear, 4 engined bomber, at 575 mph. But all of that aside, since we're really focusing on WW2, we have this:

"With a top speed of 487mph in a clean configuration, the P-51H was the fastest propeller-driven aircraft produced during World War II."

Out of curiosity, was that using a piston engine? (Not sure if prop-planes use any other kind). Of course it all comes down to semantics at this point. And still 487 versus 474? Both are moving pretty danged fast!

Out of curiosity' date=' was that using a piston engine? (Not sure if prop-planes use any other kind). Of course it all comes down to semantics at this point. And still 487 versus 474? Both are moving pretty danged fast![/quote']

Bearcat and Mustang, yes, piston engines. TU-95, Turboprop.

And oh yeah, I never said the DO-335 was slow, it was the fastest German Prop of WW2 after all! :) It also was a technical marvel on several points you mentioned. I think part of the reason some people give it the top notch is its odd looks and the fact that, let's face it, the Mustang was almost the "Toyota Corolla" of WW2 in terms of its widespread recognition. You couldn't swing an empty Fritz helmet without hitting a 'stang. ;)

EDIT: Hey Mike, I can't remember, were the props on the Arrow "In opposition"? IE: Did they rotate in opposite directions to cancel torque? I know that was always a problem with some props; they'd snap roll like a monster in one direction thanks to the pull, but not as well in the other. With two engines and props, I'd guess they counter rotate so it can spin like a beast in any direction.

EDIT: Hey Mike' date=' I can't remember, were the props on the Arrow "In opposition"? IE: Did they rotate in opposite directions to cancel torque? I know that was always a problem with some props; they'd snap roll like a monster in one direction thanks to the pull, but not as well in the other. With two engines and props, I'd guess they counter rotate so it can spin like a beast in any direction.[/quote']

I haven't checked.found out. I know the props counter-rotated on the F5F Skyrocket.

I haven't checked.found out. I know the props counter-rotated on the F5F Skyrocket.

NOW we're talkin'!!! Blackhawks forever yo! :D

EDIT: And should anyone need stats on a F5F Skyrocket, Michael has already done the work for you! Grab his "LOOK! UP IN THE SKY!" article from Digital Hero #25 and get to flying! (End shameless shilling for a bud, but it is an excellent article!)

EDIT: And should anyone need stats on a F5F Skyrocket, Michael has already done the work for you! Grab his "LOOK! UP IN THE SKY!" article from Digital Hero #25 and get to flying! (End shameless shilling for a bud, but it is an excellent article!)

Say, we ever going to work on that armored vehicle article?

Say' date=' we ever going to work on that armored vehicle article?[/quote']

Absolutely.

I have SMS training this week away from home, so I'm looking forward to catching up on writing. I'll fill you in on why home is now a non-conducive writing environment at a later date. ;)

Absolutely.

I have SMS training this week away from home, so I'm looking forward to catching up on writing. I'll fill you in on why home is now a non-conducive writing environment at a later date. ;)

I'll be at Katsucon Saturday. Hmm... maybe we can do lunch Monday, if you're off?

I like the skyrocket a lot, and it more or less evolved into one of my favorite late war planes, the F7F Tigercat, with 4x 20mm, 4x.50 caliber, and EXTENSIVE underwing armament and very good speed. Anthony Williams has pointed out that the British HORNET waS ACTUALLY FASTER, and probably a better fighter (they kept it around for years after jets came in because of its range) but I like the Tigercat better. Prettier imo.

The Flying Flapjack is another one of my favorites. :)

A blackhawks/Crimson Skies style campaign could be great fun, but the characters would probably be too much like the characters in the original Battlestar galactica. "We're Pilots, but we are also elite commandos and ground troops"

:rolleyes::D

I like the skyrocket a lot, and it more or less evolved into one of my favorite late war planes, the F7F Tigercat, with 4x 20mm, 4x.50 caliber, and EXTENSIVE underwing armament and very good speed. Anthony Williams has pointed out that the British HORNET waS ACTUALLY FASTER, and probably a better fighter (they kept it around for years after jets came in because of its range) but I like the Tigercat better. Prettier imo.

The Flying Flapjack is another one of my favorites. :)

A blackhawks/Crimson Skies style campaign could be great fun, but the characters would probably be too much like the characters in the original Battlestar galactica. "We're Pilots, but we are also elite commandos and ground troops"

:rolleyes::D

Agreed on both planes. I used to tear up the skies in "Aces of the Pacific" once I got to the Tigercat. It was a freakin' beast! I've also bandied about the Blackhawks/CS campaign idea and hit most of the same conclusions. Still, it's been back there in my head since I saw that group of fighter jocks fighting UFO's in Super Agents. ;)

Agreed on both planes. I used to tear up the skies in "Aces of the Pacific" once I got to the Tigercat. It was a freakin' beast! I've also bandied about the Blackhawks/CS campaign idea and hit most of the same conclusions. Still' date=' it's been back there in my head since I saw that group of fighter jocks fighting UFO's in Super Agents. ;)[/quote']\\\

I have been wanting a game that let me fly some of the odd planes.

Does that run on XP?

Any other suggestions?

\\\

I have been wanting a game that let me fly some of the odd planes.

Does that run on XP?

Any other suggestions?

The new Lucasarts "Secret Weapons over Normandy" (IIRC?) runs on XP and allows you to fly some of the more esoteric later aircraft, but unfortunately, I've never managed to spend the time required to get the "Aces" series to run on 98, much less XP. I kinda gave up after not investing the time when I still had 98. Shame too as Aces allowed you to fly the P-80, the Tigercat, the Bearcat, the Shinden, and the Kikka. Much fun, many good DOS gaming memories. ;)

I've only played the first mission on SWoN however, my old computer couldn't handle it and I haven't put it on my new machine yet. I got sucked into Age of Empires 3. My review based off of only one mission out of many woulod be that the game is okay, but a little too Hollywood in it's game play (I somehow managed to destroy a reinforced concrete and steel bridge with 2 - 50lb bombs....) so that's probably why I haven't hurried to reload.

The Do-335 props almost certainly had to counterrotate. As it is, Spitfire pilots had to apply hard left (?) rudder on takeoff to counter the torque; Mustang pilots were cautioned not to jam the throttle forward too quickly at low altitude lest they snap roll the plane. Having two such engines on the same axis would surely overpower control authority.

It would actually be simpler to have counterrotating props since that's what happens if you have two identical engines, one facing fore, one aft. Then all you have to change is the prop blade angle and the radiator facing.