Character Help: That 70s Team

winterhawk

Originally posted by McCoy

Humm, was Beast in the Champions? Iceman and Angel were charter members, but I think Hank was in the Avengers at the time. He did rejoin Bobby and Warren as they transfered to the Defenders, and presided over that group's demise.

Back on topic. For your fad hero how about a Black martial artist who's powers come from his breakdancing moves?

Wow, had to double check that...but yeah, Iceman no Beast...

My breakdance guy is on That 80s Team...which my players and I brainstormed in like 5 minutes.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

Seraphim:

A beautiful woman with great black wings and Light manipulation powers. Inspired by Storn's Thunderbird art.

Enforcer you may want to alter that name -- IIRC, "seraphim" is the plural; the singular form is, I believe, "seraph".

I just had a player point out that the name of an NPC hero -- "Aesir" -- was a plural. It became a running gag the entire night.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

Is there a guy with a Flock of Seagulls Haircut?

Originally posted by Captain Obvious

LOL... Don't forget Neon-Clothing Lad, with his Continuous Uncontrolled Flash attack....

Oddly enough...

That 80s team consists of Dayglo, Material GIrl, Breakdance, Joystick & Mohawk. They were called the Starwarriors, but Lucasfilm served them with a court order prohibiting them from using that name. They are a deliberate play off of the lame line-ups of the JLA and Avengers during the 80s.

Originally posted by JmOz

I offer you a few idease:

First off I think you need a "Fad" hero in there as well so how about as an odd ball "Haula Hoop" she has found a mystical Haula Hoop like item, that she can spiral around for a variety of effects (Flight, energy blasts, an entangle, etc), maybe tie her into the alien thing and have the "Haula Hoop" be some kind of advance Alien weapon taking years of experience (Come on Galactus made a surfer for a herald, another carries a baton...)

Lol, this makes me think back to the old public TV show "Dr. Fad," hosted by the guy that came up with the Wacky Wall Walker toy. He even wore a sweater covered with the things. Man, that's show's theme song was catchy...

For the older, wiser Kid Cyclone, you might try "Hurricane", which has a meaner, and less poetic, ring to you (and echoes Hurricane Carter, the black boxer).

In your weird mystic, you said you wanted a "good man as monster" stereotype, so perhaps you might like:

Yeti, a fur-bound semi brick with eastern meditational powers (astral projection, etc)

The Pharoah (mystic with Egyptian flavor, perhaps able to split into the traditional egyptian "soul distinctions" (ka, ba, etc).

a heroic vampire (in the mold of vampirella or Morbius). No name for this one, but fairly easy to write up.

the Apparition, normally desolid, but able to manifest and affect the physical world for limited periods of time (buy the +2 affects physical world advantage on your strength, but limit the advantage to cost End. This would make an interesting "Deadman" type hero who doesn't have to possess others (of course, Deadman himself is cool).

some sort of witch. This gives you a female character, and someone with a repetoire of many spells. She's a pagan, rather than a satanist, so she can both clash with organized religions, and combat demonic evils.

(Note that I've done a bigfoot, a mummy, a vampire, a ghost, and a witch).

For outcasts, consider an alien very strongly. Especially if you pick an obvious, but not overtly threatening looking alien (say a traditional Grey, or a Rom, Space Knight type), this seems to fit the seventies very well. You really want the outcast to be able to function as the conscience of the group, much like the Martian Manhunter does at times. His/Her/Its ability to comment on the foibles of humanity seems particularly 70's.

A grey (little alien, big head) with telepathic powers, or some sort of space paladin (like Rom) seems really appropriate.

Some more period bits.

Internationalism: New X-Men (75), Captain Britain (78), Alpha Flight (78).

Ethnic minorities: Not just blacks. There were also reds - Thunderbird (75), Dawnstar (77) and yellows - Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu (73).

'Man --- ': Man-Bat (70), Man-Thing (71), Man-Wolf (73). Incidentally a female version of Man-Bat called She-Bat appeared in 72. A female monster - how 70s can you get?

Animalistic heroes: Wolverine (74), Tigra (75). It seems to me this trend has much in common with that for monsters. Contrast Wolverine and Tigra with Spider-man. They all have animal powers but the 70s characters have bestial minds whereas Spidey has a normal personality.

Philosophical animals: Howard the Duck (73), Cerebus the Aardvark (78). In the 70s funny animals weren't very funny. They stayed up half the night pondering the meaning of it all and questioning their place in the universe.

Gods as aliens: New Gods (71), Eternals (76), Omega the Unknown (76). Chariots of the Gods (69) is probably a big influence here. One can see similarities between New Gods and Star Wars too. Cosmic adventure, superhuman powers, connection with old mythology but with an updated setting. Family relationships.

The Age of Aquarius: Aquarian/Wundarr (73). The search for the Celestial Madonna.

The look for a 70s hero: Long hair everywhere - Doc Samson, Aquarian. Asymmetrical, off-the-shoulder numbers. Ludicrously open-chested costumes - Tyroc, Moondragon (on her I like it, though). Tyroc's also features an ultra-high collar and ultra-tight shorts.

Monsters/supernatural creatures: These have been mentioned already but there were a particularly large number - Swamp-Thing (71), Morbius (71), Ghost Rider (72), Wendigo (73), Son of Satan (73), Blade (73), Living Mummy (73), Golem (74), Hellcat (76). A lot of these characters didn't look like full on monsters but were, to a greater or lesser extent, superheroised. Morbius is somewhere between a traditional vampire and a superhero, for example.

Winterhawk, did you ever finalise your 70's team?

Looking at what you have so far, I'd say you need a flier. It's possibly that Horus and Wildfire fly, but if only one of them do, you might need more air support. As many of your characters are split archetypes, I am not sure you need to cover any ones in particular.

Reviewing everyone's comments, I think a cyborg might be good (flight jets, armour etc.) and preferable to my original bionics suggestion, as the character might feel he is a freak (a bit like Victor Stone). He could be an outsider for a different reason.

I like Doug's summary of 70's comic themes. How about a female monster? How about a qeeen bee/wasp woman type, a female vampire, or lady werewolf? The bee could shoot stinger blasts, like the Jessica Drew Spider-Woman, or have a more realistic stinger (all sorts of analogies there).

Maybe you could try a version of the Bride of Frankenstein (tie in 70's feminism - "They created me just to be someone's mate! Can you believe that?"). There's also a little parallel to the "She" character, intended to be Adam Warlock's mate. Give her some super strength, resistance to damage and, if you want, some electrical powers (cheesy and not connected with the story, but you already have a couple of bricks). She wouldn't be limited to the hours of darkness (unless you pull a "Blade") or phases of the moon.

I've also thought about an Atlantean ("The Man from Atlantis") for an outsider role, but that always has its problems with adventures not being near bodies of water (cf Aquaman). He's not really grabbing my imagination though.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

Winterhawk, did you ever finalise your 70's team?

Looking at what you have so far, I'd say you need a flier...

Yes, I did, actually. Thanks to everyone that contributed. The Strangers consist of:

Black Hercules: Dr. Marshall Walker, biochemist, who uses a refined formula of Vitamin J, a "Miraclo" styled drug utilized by the Golden Age hero Dr. Atlas and derived from the serum first discovered by the infamous Dr. Henry Jekyll.

Wildfire: A Malvan princess who underwent the Firewing ritual but had to flee Malva because she broke Malvan law. She assumes the identity of a girl who died in the Our Lady of Angels fire (a terrible tragedy in Chicago's history) in 1958 and grew up as an Earthling.

Horus: An archeologist who was blessed with "The Gifts of Horus" from a charm he found in a pyramid.

Revolution: The aformentioned former kid sidekick, who becomes a counterculture hero.

Nightmare: A young man who stumbled into a DEMON binding ritual and accidentally had a Nightmare being from the Dream Dimension bonded to him.

...and I agree, I needed a flier, and since the Defenders had Nighthawk and the Champion had Angel, I decided on a winged one...and thinking back to another great 70s run of a comic, Legion of Superheroes, I came up with...

Sparrowhawk: A member of the lost Anasazi tribe, who gave themselves wings through magic and retreated to the highest peaks of the Sierra Nevadas to live in seclusion. He has return to the "White Man's World" on a vision quest...

Thanks again for all the suggestions...when I get around to some art, I'll post 'em.