Character Help: That 70s Team

winterhawk

I an effort to flesh out my campaign's timeline, I noticed a glaring gap in a hero team in the 70s. Fondly remembering my childhood (I'm an old-timer), I pulled out some of the comics of my youth, specifically the Defenders and the Champions. One thing both teams seemed to have in common were that their lineups were so weird. The core Defenders were Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, Namor and the Hulk (with Nighthawk and Valkyrie joining soon after). The Champions were even stranger: Ghost Rider, Hercules, Black Widow, Angel (in one of the worst costumes of all time), Beast and later Black Goliath.

In putting together my team, using the above two as models, I determined it would be neat to have a metamorphic brick (Hulk/Black Goliath), a mythical character (Valkyrie/Herc), a weird mystic (Dr. Strange/Ghost Rider), a detective type (Nighthawk/Black Widow), and a couple of outcasts (Namor, Surfer, Beast & Angel).

What I have: the metamorphic brick, the mythical character, and the basis for a detective character.

What I need:

A name for the detective. He's the former sidekick of the Tornado (boxer type ala Wildcat/The Atom I), who went by the name Kid Cyclone. The unrest of the 1968 Democratic Convention caused a rift between the Tornado and Kid Cyclone, which made the sidekick go off on his own "to make the world a better place". I'm thinking Nightwing caught up in the idealism of the late 60's/early 70s. Any suggestions for a code name?

Weird Mystic: Marvel seemed to have a lot of "good men as monsters" characters such as Ghost Rider, Man-Thing, Son of Satan, etc. Looking for something along those lines.

A couple of outcasts: Totally open on this one. Mutants, Atlanteans, aliens, what have you...

As always, thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Weird Mystic: How about Nightmare? An extradimensional beast from the Dream Realms (or alternately, a human lucid dreamer who has somehow gained the ability to apply lucid dreaming to the real world).

Some suggested powers:

"If you hit the ground, you'll die" Teleport 20" straight up, usable against others

"Something's chasing me..." Mental Illusions to cause fear, linked with an EB or RKA (only if target doesn't flee)

"...and I can't get away" Mental entangle

"How can you hold the world hostage if you're naked?" PRE Drain linked to RKA only vs clothing ;) (Okay so this one is more than a little tongue in cheek)

A small VPP to allow other effects is also in line...a little STR here to pick up a house, a little Flight there to grow wings and chase an escaping villain....

I agree that just dropping the 'Kid' might be a simple and good way to go for the Detective.

As for the 'Weird Mystic', mmm two thoughts come to mind:

Jack O'Lantern, not the gimmick wielding villain, but an actual spirit made flesh based on the old folk lore of being neither accepted by Heaven or Hell... so he's stuck in between.

or some sort of werewolf, infected with the curse of lycanthropy, but managed to get enough of a blessing or spell cast on him to help hold it 'partially in check'. He will never go full werewolf, but might still show signs of the beast when he uses his superior strength and senses. Each time he does, he risks having those spiritual wards break just a little more...

The outcast type

I'd go for an Alien, but then I like extraterrestrials in comics. Maybe a noble (to fit in the Namor sort of attitude) who is exiled to earth as a punishment (thor like maybe?) or because of political change.

I offer you a few idease:

First off I think you need a "Fad" hero in there as well so how about as an odd ball "Haula Hoop" she has found a mystical Haula Hoop like item, that she can spiral around for a variety of effects (Flight, energy blasts, an entangle, etc), maybe tie her into the alien thing and have the "Haula Hoop" be some kind of advance Alien weapon taking years of experience (Come on Galactus made a surfer for a herald, another carries a baton...)

Disco is Life! /You call that living?

For sheer embarrasing 70's chic in my campaigns, no one will top (in my mind) one player's creation. Of course, it was a modern campaign, which made this all the worse/funnier :D

Let's see, how did that battle cry go??

"I am a tower of power!

A sight of might!

I'm a disgrace to the black community

No one strikes faster,

no one hits harder...

than the Amazing Disco Godfather!"

Re: Character Help: That 70s Team

Originally posted by winterhawk

A name for the detective. He's the former sidekick of the Tornado (boxer type ala Wildcat/The Atom I), who went by the name Kid Cyclone. The unrest of the 1968 Democratic Convention caused a rift between the Tornado and Kid Cyclone, which made the sidekick go off on his own "to make the world a better place". I'm thinking Nightwing caught up in the idealism of the late 60's/early 70s. Any suggestions for a code name?

I lean toward just calling him Cyclone too.

Weird Mystic: Marvel seemed to have a lot of "good men as monsters" characters such as Ghost Rider, Man-Thing, Son of Satan, etc. Looking for something along those lines.

Mine of this period was Balthazak the Destroyer. Former General in the Armies of Hell, currently AWOL, and seeking redemption so that he can get back into Heaven. Of cource, he was an 8' tall purple and green skinned horn headed monstrosity wearing mismatched hawaiian print (color blind) outfits. So, most people won't give him the time of day. Heaven doesn't trust him, and Hell wants to bring him home.

A couple of outcasts: Totally open on this one. Mutants, Atlanteans, aliens, what have you...

Come to think of it, Balthazak fits this one too. That allows you room for the Disco Pirate. He'd be an outcast, too.

As always, thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Hope this is somewhat useful.

D

Good suggestions so far...

I really like Capt. O's nightmare and Hermit's Jack O' Lantern...maybe a nightmare with the visage of a Jack O' Lantern? Nice homage to the Ghost Rider's flaming skull...

I was also toying with just Cyclone for the detective, but I really want something that rings of the times...to further extrapolate on him, he is my one NPC that is sort of 'a sign of the times'...he begins his carrer early in the Silver Age as a smiling kid sidekick (Kid Cyclone), evolves into a counterculture hero (?), becomes an industrialist in the 80s (calling himself Turbo, using pneumatic weapons), is crippled at the Battle of Detroit, and is now the "grim mentor who's done it all" type.

I've been toying with a fad hero, but can't think of one that hasn't been taken or isn't too cheezy (Disco Inferno anyone?)...

and Hermit, my metamorph brick is none other then Black Hercules, whom I stole from Justin Dunnuck's Fair City setting featured in an article in the now defunct ezhero.

Keep them suggestions rollin'!

Re: Character Help: That 70s Team

What I have: the metamorphic brick, the mythical character, and the basis for a detective character.

What I need:

How about "Nightwind" or "Night Ranger"? Unless he's not really the "skulk by night" type...then, maybe go with Cyclone (as has been previously mentioned)

How about "Stonehenge", the living embodiment of the ancient landmark. He looks like a man made of stone, with a British accent, and can sling spells like nobody's business...

How about a "mole man" type, from subterranea, or an outcast jungle lord?

Just a few ideas.... :)

Re: Disco is Life! /You call that living?

Originally posted by Hermit

For sheer embarrasing 70's chic in my campaigns, no one will top (in my mind) one player's creation. Of course, it was a modern campaign, which made this all the worse/funnier :D

Let's see, how did that battle cry go??

"I am a tower of power!

A sight of might!

I'm a disgrace to the black community

No one strikes faster,

no one hits harder...

than the Amazing Disco Godfather!"

I remember that movie! :)

The 70s. Blacks, usually called 'Black something'; martial artists; the supernatural - sorcerers, voodoo, vampires (Blade), werewolves; monsters, often swamp-based; horror; barbarians; feminism (Miss Marvel became editor of Miss magazine); cyborgs (I think Deathlok was a 70s character); talking ducks.

Cosmic, exemplified by Jim Starlin. Going into space or other dimensions, in the case of Dr. Strange. Seemingly paradoxically, this was accompanied by looking inwards, examining one's own mind, navel-gazing. Exotic locations may be metaphors for the psyche. At any rate, both mental and physical exploration are far removed from day-to-day life. Streets, newsrooms, school, college. The cosmic hero cannot be found in these places.

IIRC Adam Warlock's main foe was the Magus, a future version of himself. Battling yourself, representing a mind in conflict - you can't get more 70s cosmic than that.

There was a brief trucking/CB craze in the mid to late 70s which produced one superhero - Razorback, I think.

Anyway, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent but you can see some of these 70s tendencies in the Champions and Defenders. Supernatural - Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Valkyrie. Monsters - the blue furry Beast (was he in the Champions?) Cosmic - Silver Surfer. I don't think either team actually had a black member but if so that's quite outrageous - how dare they be so out-of-period!

Nonetheless if you want that period feel you could cast your net a bit wider than the Champions/Defenders actual members.

Weird Mystic: The Stranger. He's kind of a Batman/Spider clone, but instead of striking terror, he Strikes Madness in the Minds of Men! Featureless mask that he can remove for his coup de grace, the "Glimpse of Madness." Vanish teleport, clinging (walking along walls). Not occult per se, but he has "seen things that would drive other men to madness."

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

The 70s. Blacks, usually called 'Black something'; martial artists; the supernatural - sorcerers, voodoo, vampires (Blade), werewolves; monsters, often swamp-based; horror; barbarians; feminism (Miss Marvel became editor of Miss magazine); cyborgs (I think Deathlok was a 70s character); talking ducks.

Cosmic, exemplified by Jim Starlin. Going into space or other dimensions, in the case of Dr. Strange. Seemingly paradoxically, this was accompanied by looking inwards, examining one's own mind, navel-gazing. Exotic locations may be metaphors for the psyche. At any rate, both mental and physical exploration are far removed from day-to-day life. Streets, newsrooms, school, college. The cosmic hero cannot be found in these places.

IIRC Adam Warlock's main foe was the Magus, a future version of himself. Battling yourself, representing a mind in conflict - you can't get more 70s cosmic than that.

There was a brief trucking/CB craze in the mid to late 70s which produced one superhero - Razorback, I think.

Anyway, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent but you can see some of these 70s tendencies in the Champions and Defenders. Supernatural - Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Valkyrie. Monsters - the blue furry Beast (was he in the Champions?) Cosmic - Silver Surfer. I don't think either team actually had a black member but if so that's quite outrageous - how dare they be so out-of-period!

Nonetheless if you want that period feel you could cast your net a bit wider than the Champions/Defenders actual members.

Ah yes, Razorback from my birth state of Arkansas. Nothing stereotypical about that character huh?

Originally posted by William Bushway

Weird Mystic: The Stranger. He's kind of a Batman/Spider clone, but instead of striking terror, he Strikes Madness in the Minds of Men! Featureless mask that he can remove for his coup de grace, the "Glimpse of Madness." Vanish teleport, clinging (walking along walls). Not occult per se, but he has "seen things that would drive other men to madness."

Oh yeah! Coupled with Capt. O's Nightmare this is really cool...I'm totally using this.

Originally posted by ZootSoot

For the former Kid Cyclone caught up in the social revolution how about "Winds of Change" (or Changewind, but that seems more confusing).

This was actually this first thing that came to mind...except Wind of Change doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and Changewind is a bit confusing...something like Man of the People...but shorter. Keep 'em coming!

This was actually this first thing that came to mind...except Wind of Change doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, and Changewind is a bit confusing...something like Man of the People...but shorter. Keep 'em coming!

Everyman? Not very super-human sounding, but maybe he's more interested in his 'Man of the People' role.

I know it's the name of a current Titan, but what about "Tempest" for your detective? It has connotations of storms and chaos (shaking up the "system"). If you make him oriental (not impossible when you think about Green Hornet and Kato), perhaps he is Typhoon or (more likely) Tai Pan. You could tie him in with the 70's martial arts craze (ie a 70s reference that isn't ludicrous). This is also a tip of the hat to Speedy, who went off and learned Moo-Gi-Gong (I think) and became Arsenal. Actually, thinking about it again, no reason he couldn't be a martial artist called Tai Pan, but still be a white Amercian.

If you want another 70s craze that would not be too absurd as a hero, how about skateboarding? Marvel's character the Rocket Racer, actually had some decent powers, but very "faddy" characters are not really my sort of thing.

Another craze of sorts would be bionics (more 70s flavour than simple cybernetics). Have your very own jumpsuit wearing ex-military man with bionic enhancements.

As for the outcast, there are so many choices, it's a tough call. It might be easier if you can decide what sort of powers you want (another brick, an energy projector etc.), as that shapes things a bit more.

Re: Mystic monster who removes his mask - great idea, very reminiscent of Johnny Sorrow, but also Judge Fear from the Judge Dredd stories.

Guest Confusinator

Possible Ideas

I was also toying with just Cyclone for the detective, but I really want something that rings of the times...to further extrapolate on him, he is my one NPC that is sort of 'a sign of the times'...

I'm just guessing at what the fallout at the DNC was, but how about Revolution. Rings of the times, and has a double meaning that ties into both cyclones and turbos.

I've been toying with a fad hero, but can't think of one that hasn't been taken or isn't too cheezy (Disco Inferno anyone?)...

How about Hi-Fidelity, sonic powers w/ just the hint of cheese.

Re: Possible Ideas

Originally posted by Confusinator

I'm just guessing at what the fallout at the DNC was, but how about Revolution. Rings of the times, and has a double meaning that ties into both cyclones and turbos.

DING...DING...DING...we have a winner!

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

As for the outcast, there are so many choices, it's a tough call. It might be easier if you can decide what sort of powers you want (another brick, an energy projector etc.), as that shapes things a bit more.

Re: Mystic monster who removes his mask - great idea, very reminiscent of Johnny Sorrow, but also Judge Fear from the Judge Dredd stories.

OK, so to go through the current line-up: Black Hercules (metamorphic Brick), Horus (Mythical Brick/EB), Revolution (detective/MA), Wildfire (Female EB), Nightmare (mystic/mentalist)...so what am I missing in the context of the times? And Johnny Sorrow is my favorite villain from my favorite comic ;)

Okay, I am inspired. Working on my own team of 70's era heroes. I have:Thunder: DC had once thought to make Captain Marvel an African American hero. This, along with the picture on pg 16 of the CU book gave me Thunder. A Shazam like clone hero with a big afro.Little Dragon: A chinese-american who belives that he is the vessel for the recently (at the time) departed Bruce Lee. He has a masterful grasp of Wing Chun Kung fu and Jeet Kun Do. Also has some mystical ch'i abilitiesSeraphim:A beautiful woman with great black wings and Light manipulation powers. Inspired by Storn's Thunderbird art. Frogman:A humanoid frog, strong, with leaping abilities and eventually martial arts. He would have been called Frogger, but I'm sure that game came out in the 80's.Randall Ironsson of Dr John Randall Irons, basically a Doc Savage clone.Here is Thunder all written up...ThunderPlayer: NPC; Member of Force Five

Val Char Cost
60 STR 5
18 DEX 15
30 CON 10
13/23 BODY 6
15 INT 5
23 EGO 26
20 PRE 5
14 COM 2
25 PD 5
20/30 ED 5
5 SPD 2
22 REC 8
60 END 0
60 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM012" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 94
Cost Power END
Mystically Bestowed Attributes:, all slots: , Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points) (+1/4)
67 1) Thunderous Strength: +45 STR, Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4) (67 Active Points) 3
11 2) Lighting Speed: +3 DEX (11 Active Points)
37 3) Durability: +15 CON (37 Active Points)
10 4) Invulnerability: +10 BODY (25 Active Points); Only to Stave off Death Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
6 5) Aura of Power and Authority: +5 PRE (6 Active Points)
20 6) Toughness: +8 PD, Hardened (+1/4) (20 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
18 7) Toughness: +9 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (18 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
25 8) +2 SPD (25 Active Points)
34 9) Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (25 PD/20 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (34 Active Points)
9 10) Electrical Resistance: Armor (0 PD/10 ED) (19 Active Points); Only Works Against Lightning/Electrical Based Attacks Very Limited Type of Attack (-1)
5 11) Stubborn And Strong: Knockback Resistance -2" (5 Active Points)
14 12) Life Support , Extended Breathing, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum (14 Active Points)
44 13) Flying: Flight 15", x4 Noncombat (44 Active Points) 4
12 14) Keen Eyes: Enhanced Perception (+5 to PER Rolls for Single Sense Group) (12 Active Points)
7 15) Keen Eyes: Telescopic +4 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group) (7 Active Points)
32 Mystically Endowed Abilities: Multipower, 26-point reserve, all slots: , Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points) (+1/4) (32 Active Points)
1u 1) Thunderbolt Strike: (Total: 26 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Thunderous Blow: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5) plus Lightning Flash: Flash 2d6 (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); Linked to Thunderous Blow (-1/2), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Thunder Clap: Flash 2d6 (Hearing Group) (6 Active Points); Linked to Thunderous Blow (-1/2), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) 6
1u 2) Instant Change: Transform 2d6: into and out of Superhero costume (Cosmetic) (10 Active Points); Limited Target (Clothes) Limited (-1/2) 1
Powers Cost: 353
Cost Skill
Tactician Set
15 1) +3 with HTH Combat
5 2) Defense Maneuver: I-II
3 3) Demolitions 12-
2 4) KS: US Military 11-
2 5) KS: Civil Rights Movement 11-
2 6) PS: Firefighter 11-
3 7) Stealth 13-
2 8) Survival 12-
2 9) WF: Small Arms
Skills Cost: 36
Cost Perk
6 SFPD: Contact, Organization Contact (+2) (6 Active Points) 11-
6 Local Hero: Reputation (A medium-sized group; 14-) +3/+3d6
1 Base Contribution: Vehicles & Bases (5 Base, 0 Disad)
4 Force Five Membership: Fringe Benefit: Basic 8- Contact (UNTIL), Membership
Perks Cost: 17
Val Disadvantages
10 Dependent NPC: Elizabeth Scott (Later Bruce) Reporter (Later Wife) 11- (Normal; Useful noncombat position or skills)
10 Distinctive Features: Mystical Aura (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
20 Hunted: DEMON 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)
10 Hunted: Iron Valkyrie 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: White Knight (Racist Supervillain) 8- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs Killing (Common; Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Likes the media attention (Common; Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Outspoken, Strong convictions, Stubborn (Common; Strong)
5 Rivalry: Professional (All-American; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Dwayne Bruce) (Frequently; Major)
10 Unluck: 2d6
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Earth Based Magic (Uncommon)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 150Total Experience Available: 150Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 500

Height: 6' 4" Hair: Black
Weight: 260 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: A tall, well muscled African American male with a white costume. He has a golden T/Lighning Bolt on his Chest, in side the insignea is a fist (representing Black Power). His cape, boots, and trunks are blue. He wears his hair in a popular style for the time, in the 70's he has an afro, sideburns, and a soul patch. He wears a gold belt and no gloves or mask. Basically he is the guy on pg 16 of the Champions Universe book.Personality: Thunder is a fairly straight forward guy, good hearted, kind to children, respectful of his elders. He is kind of start struck by his powers and loves the media attention. During the Civil Rights movement, he acts as a spokesman for his people. However, like the Scarlet Shield from Detroit, his actions are often treated as suspect by both sides. Quote:"Hey baby, why not get with the REAL Chocolate Thunder!"

"I'm taking you in to the cops, on your feet or on a stretcher, its up to you!"

Background: Former Vietnam Vet turned firefighter, Dwayne Bruce was knocked unconscious trying to help an elderly man from an apartment complex fire in 1973. While he was unconscious he had a dream in which he was standing at the edge of a lake high in the mountains. The ground began to tremble, the water frothed, and up from the bottom of the lake appeared a gigantic humanoid with blue skin and a silver beard. The Giant told Dwayne that he had been chosen, for his bravery and his desire to help his fellow man, to bear the powers of the storm gods. Although Dwayne had trouble believing this, even in his dream, he accepted the responsibility.

When he awoke, he found that he had been in a coma for over three months! The doctors were shocked that he seemed to get bigger and stronger as the time passed, his muscles grew rather than atrophed. On his way home from the hospital he saw a child running into the street in front of an oncoming car. Willing himself to the scene, he grabbed the little girl and flew into the air. Realizing the vision of the giant was true, he developed the personae of Thunder.

Powers/Tactics: A classic brick, Thunder is a "Shazam" style original hero. He generally mixes it up with other strong men, using his natural hand to hand combat skills and judicious use of the Thunder Bolt Strike.Campaign Use: A 70's era hero. He has since retired. He could be a mentor, or the father of a current hero or villain.it should be noted that during the 70's DEMON was less a threat. So you might drop the Extensive NCI, to make up the points, change his DNPC to "Doesn't know of his Secret ID).

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

Humm, was Beast in the Champions? Iceman and Angel were charter members, but I think Hank was in the Avengers at the time. He did rejoin Bobby and Warren as they transfered to the Defenders, and presided over that group's demise.

Back on topic. For your fad hero how about a Black martial artist who's powers come from his breakdancing moves?

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by McCoy

Back on topic. For your fad hero how about a Black martial artist who's powers come from his breakdancing moves?

While breakdancing started in the 70's, its definitely an 80's fad.