Vehicle: Gepanzerter Gehender Träger Läufer

Susano

Okay, a bit late period, but its something you can have fun with.

GEPANZERTER GEHENDER TRÄGER

LÄUFER

(Runner)

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Notes[/b]
4	SIZE	20	2.5" x 1.25"; -4" KB; -2 DCV
49	STR	19	Lift 22 tons; 9 1/2d6 HTH Damage
12	DEX	6	OCV:  4/DCV:  4
10	BODY	0
11	DEF	27
2	SPD	0	Phases:  6, 12
[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  72

Movement:[/b]	Ground:		16"/32"
	Swimming:	0"/0"

[b]Cost	Abilities and Equipment
Propulsion Systems[/b]
4	[b]Two-Legged Walker:[/b]  Extra Limbs (2 legs); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)
20	[b]Two-Legged Walking Military Vehicle:[/b]  Ground Movement +10" (16" total); 
1 Continuing Fuel Charge (easily-obtained fuel; 6 hours; -0)
-2	[b]Ground Vehicle:[/b]  Swimming -2"

[b]Tactical Systems[/b]
57	[b]105 mm leFH18 Light Field Howitzer:[/b] RKA 3 1/d6, Explosion (+1/2), Increased 
STUN Multiplier (+1/4) Indirect (can be arced over some obstacles; +1/4), Increased 
Maximum Range (2,000"; +1/4), 30 Charges (+1/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire 
(forward 60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +1 OCV, +3 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
53	[b]20 mm MG 151/20 Cannon:[/b]  RKA 3d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Increased STUN 
Multiplier (+1/4), 250 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (forward 60 
degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus +2 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
5	[b]20 mm MG 151/20 Cannon:[/b]  Another 20 mm Cannon (total of 2)
52	[b]7.92 mm MG 34 Machine-Gun:[/b]  RKA 2d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Increased 
Stun Multiplier (+1/4), 1,000 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) plus 
+2 OCV, +3 RMod; OIF Bulky (-1)
4	[b]Heavy:[/b] Knockback Resistance -4" (-8" total)

[b]Operation Systems[/b]
4	[b]Radio:[/b] Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group); OIF Bulky (-1), Affected As 
Hearing Group As Well As Radio Group (-1/4)

[b]197	Total Abilities and Equipment Cost
269	Total Vehicle Cost

Value	Disadvantages[/b]
25	Distinctive Features: Nazi Germany Wehrmacht Armored Walker (NC, Extreme)
25	[b]Total Disadvantage Points
49	Total Cost (244/5)[/b]

Description:

While the Bewegliche Festung (Mobile Fortress) served to appease Hitler's vanity, the much smaller, and much more mobile Läufer was far more popular among the infantry, who liked having close-in artillery support capable of traversing almost any terrain. Designed and built by the Nazi "mad" scientist Dr. Clausenhausen, the Läufer was a bipedal armored combat machine, designed to accompany infantry, snipe at enemy armor, and generally serve as a all-terrain self-propelled gun.

The Läufer was used on both fronts, and was especially popular in the thick forests of Russian and the broken farmlands of France. Although not especially well armored, its size and shape made the vehicle easy to hide, and the Allies often found them tucked into barns, factories, deep ditches, thick stands of trees, and the like. As the howitzer was of limited use against enemy armor, the Läufer was usually used to shell troops in the open or soft vehicle targets -- such as jeeps and trucks. The 20 mm cannon was often used to help spot targets for the howitzer, and tracer rounds were a common load. The MG 34, on the other hand, was meant for close defense and as an antiaircraft weapon.

Although several hundred Läufer were made, they had little overall impact on the course of the war. While fine anti-infantry weapons, their high silhouette and thin armor made them walking (literally) targets for Allied tank gunners and ground-attack pilots. Also, as the war progressed, and parts became scarce, many Läufer were simply abandoned upon experiencing a mechanical failure, although a few were made into semi-fixed artillery platforms.

As a curious side note, there is an account of a Läufer successfully destroying an American BGP Mark 1 "Pistol-Packing Pete" in what is thought to be the first clash of armored combat walkers.

A Gepanzerter Gehender Träger Läufer has a squat blocky body mounted on two short legs. The howitzer is set to the right of the pilot, with the twin 20 mm cannon mounted to a fixed wing on the far right of the vehicle. The primary access hatch is behind the howitzer, while the vehicle's engine is directly behind the driver's compartment. It is roughly 12' tall, 10' long, and 8' wide. It weighs 20 tons, has a top speed of 26 miles per hour, and a crew of three (driver, gunner, loader).

runner.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Vehicle: Gepanzerter Gehender Träger Läufer

I was expecting some sort of battleship-aircraft carrier hybrid from the name. (Gepanzerter = Armored, Träger = Carrier).

Still cool, though!

It's supposed to be Armored .... Armored... now I forget what I typed into the on-line translator. Armored Combat Walker, I think. Läufer = runner, I know that.

I was expecting some sort of battleship-aircraft carrier hybrid from the name. (Gepanzerter = Armored, Träger = Carrier).

Still cool, though!

I'd translate it (very) loosely as "armoured walking (weapons) carrier" but a more literal translation would be "armoured walking/going carrier runner"

:nonp:

I don't recall where I got it, but I have seen work (including this picture) before - the guy responsible has some very cool matte paintings of alternate WW2 german installations with wierd tech - I assumed for a video game.

Cheers, Mark

I'd translate it (very) loosely as "armoured walking (weapons) carrier" but a more literal translation would be "armoured walking/going carrier runner"

:nonp:

Yeah, Armored Walking Weapons Carrier was the words I used. And if you look, "Läufer" is painted on the side of the vehicle.

I don't recall where I got it, but I have seen work (including this picture) before - the guy responsible has some very cool matte paintings of alternate WW2 german installations with wierd tech - I assumed for a video game.

Yeah, I eventually found his website by using Google to image search for German mecha.

Cool write-up, cool picture. But the "Träger" in the name makes no sense. I would prose these names:

Schreitpanzer "Läufer" (Armored Walker "Runner")

Gepanzerter Schreitpanzer "Läufer" (Armored Walking Tank "Runner")

Laufpanzer "Läufer" (Walking Tank "Runner" - redundant!)

Waffenträgerschreitpanzer "Läufer" (Wa.-Spz. Läufer)(Armored Walking Weapons Carrier) - here you even get a cool allied nickname WASP

"Schreiten" is another German word for "walk", but it means a more forceful, maybe dignified way of walking - you are not walking around aimlessly, but you know where you want to go and you walk there directly - du schreitest.

Cool write-up, cool picture. But the "Träger" in the name makes no sense. I would prose these names:

Schreitpanzer "Läufer" (Armored Walker "Runner")

Gepanzerter Schreitpanzer "Läufer" (Armored Walking Tank "Runner")

Laufpanzer "Läufer" (Walking Tank "Runner" - redundant!)

Waffenträgerschreitpanzer "Läufer" (Wa.-Spz. Läufer)(Armored Walking Weapons Carrier) - here you even get a cool allied nickname WASP

"Schreiten" is another German word for "walk", but it means a more forceful, maybe dignified way of walking - you are not walking around aimlessly, but you know where you want to go and you walk there directly - du schreitest.

Oohhh! Thanks Baron! Like I said, I used a on-line "translator" to get the name. But I like Waffenträgerschreitpanzer "Läufer", it sounds like a German WWII war machine (err... a silly statement I know, but it has the right "ring" to my American ears) and as you say, you get the cool nickname of "Wasp"!

Repped!

Ahh - the Baron has it - I hadn't thought of "runner" as being the short name appended after the description: I should have realised, given usual practice.

anyway the artist's name is Ted Terranova (thanks, Mike!) and he also did this amazing image which is too early for Pulp Hero, but just right for Victorian hero

just amazing work! :eek:

cheers, Mark

If you have a Waffenträger, than you also need other Walking Tanks - like a mine-sweeper or artillery walking tank.

Here are some more fiendish inventions of Der Bar ... ehm .. Dr. Clausenhausen:

Artillerieschreitpanzer "Stachelschwein" (Art.-Spz "Stachelschwein" (Armored Walking Artillery Tank "Porcupine") ("Artie")

Gepanzerter Minensuchläufer "Dachshund" (Gep.-Min. "Dachshund" (Armored Walking Mine-Sweeper "Dachshund") ("Minnie")

And now something for your Golden Age Allied Do-Gooders to REALLY break some sweat about:

Überschwerer Kampfschreitpanzer "Thorshammer" (Ü.Kam.-Pz "Thorshammer" (Superheavy Armored Walking Tank "Thorshammer") (Wehrmacht slang: "Hurrah! An Ü-Ka! We are safe!" - Allied slang: "Oh holy .... A HAMMER! - Call Captain Freedom and the Invaders! ALL!! NOW!!!")

Please notice (just came to tha conclusion while writing this): "Läufer" is not really a very German name for a military vehicle - Wehrmacht and now Bundeswehr tend to use animal names (Tiger, Königstiger, Maulwurf, Wolf, Luchs, Gepard etc.) for their vehicels and weapon systems. "Läufer" is not an animal name - maybe "Windhund" would be a good name - or "Strauß" (Ostrich).

"Thorshammer" is a mythological name. I chose it to stress the one of a kind, super-powerful attitude that this walking tank should impress on the allies.

Hmmm ... my Teutonic wordprocessor is running wild with all these pictures of GIANT WARMACHINES!

Waffenträgersystem Schreitpanzer "Läufer" (Weapon Carrier System Walking Tank "Runner") would be even better - and if you use "Strauß" (Ostrich) instead or "Läufer" you can use the double Sig-Rune (SS) instead of the "ß" (sz) which is perfectly okay in German because there is no capital "ß" - you have to use a double S if you write it all in capital letters.

Would make for a good special model for the Waffen-SS.