Project 1000: Build a Legend/Megahero

megaplayboy

Re: Project 1000: Build a Legend/Megahero

Some of it depends on the degree of granularity you like on the character sheet too. Do you think everything the character has done' date=' every one they've met and befriends and every bit of equipment they've picked or happened to know should be represented even "normal" folks can get into high point totals. I've seen write ups for cab drivers and other normals that push the upper end of Heroic. If you assume somethings are just plot devices, stunts and dramatic license some characters come in cheaper.[/quote']

Sure. "If it's on the sheet, the player controls it, and can reasonably expect to be able to use it; if it's not on the sheet, the GM controls it, and the player gets to use it when and if the GM decides." If I as a player want to be able to speak Spanish in game, I need it on my sheet, and I probably need to pay points for it. If I as GM need a PC to be able to speak Spanish, I'm free to say to any of the players "You learned Spanish when you were traveling in Mexico; you can understand this guy"; after the game session, I can talk to the Player about whether or not we're adding it to his sheet. The same goes for gadgets, vehicles, or even powers. It's not even out of genre for most serial fiction; characters pick up skills and abilities all the time that vanish by the next story or even the next scene.

However, some gamers can't stand that kind of thing at all; for them, it all always has to be on the sheet. That's not BadWrongFun; it's just another approach. :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying its Badwrongfun just something can effect point totals in a game like Hero. It's hard to say what's the "right" point total is for a character since it depends on game style, preference in mechanical rigor and interpretation of the source material. Like if a martial artist punches mooks in rapid succession in a story he could have a high Speed, an autofire or AE attack or just be Sweeping it could even be a dramatic interpretation of a Block or HTH DCV if some of the "attacks" do nothing much more than just interrupt incoming assaults.

The character jumps into a car and manages not to get killed in the ensuing crash laden chase but doesn't pull off any stunts either Does she have Combat Driving or was 8- and Luck or some dramatic license being employing. If you GM is really liberal with the use of the Power skill, characters in the game will pull of more varied effects on fewer points.

Or if a character chats with a receptionist or some other minor NPC in a friendly manner. Some GMs would require she be brought as a contact if the PCs wanted to play on that later, some would just go with the role playing. It's matter of taste but one character would end up with more points on the sheet than the latter. Different people like different degree of focus on the character sheets and will interpret fictional characters in different ways when transferring to them to the medium of a game. That's all I'm saying.

Different people like different degree of focus on the character sheets and will interpret fictional characters in different ways when transferring to them to the medium of a game. That's all I'm saying.

Sure. I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with that, too. :)

I think, for me, the key to a "universal game system" is that you can have as much fun with a 25 point character as with a 250 or 2500 point character. I remember watching the trailer for "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed", where the main character uses the force to pull a Star Destroyer to crash to the ground in front of him. My first thought wasn't, "oh gee that's just going too far, that guy'd be way more expensive than any character in any sci fi game I've seen." It was "That's frickin' awesome! Why didn't Lucas do anything like that in one of his films? I'd love to play a game where characters could do stuff like that!"

And, at the same time, I can play a shlub with 25 points and have just as much fun. People get too hung up on power levels when they should focus more on "fun levels".:D

And, at the same time, I can play a shlub with 25 points and have just as much fun. People get too hung up on power levels when they should focus more on "fun levels".:D

Sometimes "fun level" is dependent on power level. I don't have as much fun with God like characters and the stories they tend to generate. Others too and I don't begrudge them that but I don't think there is anything wrong with my preferences either. After a certain power level I lose any connection with the character and their abilities and it gets kind of dull -to me- though others might like it.

And I don't find low point characters to be "schlubs" actually. I can actually relate more to them.

Of course, as has been pointed out. High point totals do not automatically mean high power level. It depends on how they're spent. And you don't need Kamahamaha Waves or the ability to snatch starships out of orbit with your mind to be interesting and even a hero.

I remember watching the trailer for "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed", where the main character uses the force to pull a Star Destroyer to crash to the ground in front of him. My first thought wasn't, "oh gee that's just going too far, that guy'd be way more expensive than any character in any sci fi game I've seen." It was "That's frickin' awesome! Why didn't Lucas do anything like that in one of his films? I'd love to play a game where characters could do stuff like that!"

Of course, as has been pointed out. High point totals do not automatically mean high power level. It depends on how they're spent.

I've run campaigns where PC had spaceship smashing or even planet smashing power; they can be a lot of fun, but I thing the "How points are spent" issue really comes into play here. :)

One approach I think works pretty well for maintaining niches is the old, much maligned, method of strict shtick preservation. If you're running a Star Wars game, and PCs are all built on the same points (which isn't necessary, but saves arguments), it's a good idea to set skill level and stat caps, hand out X points (probably 100 to 150) for players to build their PCs, and then give the players X additional points to be spent only on the PCs signature shticks. So, Han-tribute gets an extra 150 to build the Falcon and extend his skill list; Leia-tribute gets an extra 150 for perks, contacts, and maybe a bank of unspent points for a future "force accident"; Luke-Tribute gets an extra 150 points only for Force powers. If those powers don't have an active point cap, Luke will be a pretty awesome character, but he won't eclipse the other PCs in their shticks.

Classes in D&D and White Wolf's various template approaches often did this pretty well, if the players and GM were on the same page.

Sometimes "fun level" is dependent on power level. I don't have as much fun with God like characters and the stories they tend to generate. Others too and I don't begrudge them that but I don't think there is anything wrong with my preferences either. After a certain power level I lose any connection with the character and their abilities and it gets kind of dull -to me- though others might like it.

And I don't find low point characters to be "schlubs" actually. I can actually relate more to them.

Of course, as has been pointed out. High point totals do not automatically mean high power level. It depends on how they're spent. And you don't need Kamahamaha Waves or the ability to snatch starships out of orbit with your mind to be interesting and even a hero.

Well, actually, sometimes power level and level of capability are two very different things. Goku from DBZ is immensely powerful and skilled in combat, but outside of that arena, he's not the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree. He's awkward and naive in social situations, doesn't know the first thing about science, and can be easily manipulated. He has a wife and two sons, a best friend and two major rivals. He loves nothing more than having fun and eating well. There's plenty of roleplaying opportunities there that don't involve ducking planet-destroying blasts of ki. And his abilities aren't so comprehensive as to squeeze out other niches for others to fill. There's nothing wrong with having a strong preference, but I think it's good to be open-minded and "let the Fun flow inside you". Sometimes you'll be surprised at what you actually find enjoyable.:)

Well, actually, sometimes power level and level of capability are two very different things.

That's what I said.

I apologize for the split posting. I don't mean it to be antagonistic but I couldn't come up with a single response that seemed coherent and multiple post felt cumbersome.

Goku from DBZ is immensely powerful and skilled in combat, but outside of that arena, he's not the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree. He's awkward and naive in social situations, doesn't know the first thing about science, and can be easily manipulated. He has a wife and two sons, a best friend and two major rivals. He loves nothing more than having fun and eating well. There's plenty of roleplaying opportunities there that don't involve ducking planet-destroying blasts of ki. And his abilities aren't so comprehensive as to squeeze out other niches for others to fill.

There's nothing wrong with having a strong preference, but I think it's good to be open-minded and "let the Fun flow inside you". Sometimes you'll be surprised at what you actually find enjoyable.:)

Well, and I say this a long time fan of the show, it really does seems to boil down most often to punching people in the face and blowing things up and Goku -does- push aside the other characters to the point they pretty much become cheerleaders for him aside for the occasional plot device and passing the torch moments to the next generation of Z fighters. That's okay though since Goku is the main character for most of the series so he really should dominate. In an rpg it would be less fun (IMO) unless it was a solo game. But in the end it did start pushing the "silly" range for me. Mostly after the Cell games The Buu Saga was strained and GT wasn't very good at all.

The role playing aside from the fights were in large part comedy relief and eventually they characters were so powerful even most of the fights were pointless. But that was an issue with DBZ not high powered game in total.

I'm don't agree with the "High power = less role playing" meme at all, it's just immature as it's proponents claim high powered stories are. As I said the type of stories created with high powered characters don't hold that much interest to me in role playing but there are stories to be told there; they're just not my cup of tea for prolonged play. And I have tried it in the past. I get bored and disconnected quickly. That's just me.

My thoughts on the perceived dichotomy between low, mid and high power level games, especially supers games:

I think, qualitatively, "we just saved the neighborhood", "we just saved the city", "we just saved the country", "we just saved the world" and "we just saved the universe" are essentially exactly the same story. "Traveling to a different city to solve a mystery" and "traveling to a different planet to solve a mystery" and "traveling to a different dimension to solve a mystery" are exactly the same story. "Beating a gang of thugs" and "Beating a gang of agents" and "Beating a gang of supervillains" and even "Beating a gang of megavillains" are again exactly the same story.

"fighting city hall" and "fighting washington DC" and "fighting the UN" and "fighting the League of Worlds" and "fighting the Cosmic Council" are exactly the same story.

Girlfriend problems, DNPC problems, even murder mysteries can all be played out at any level of the game.

The only difference is in scale or location.

What stories exist where high level games don't do well (or at all), and what stories exist where low level games don't do well (or at all)? I do think one type of story that low level games don't necessarily handle well is the "this is a critically important mission/job/task, and the heroes are the only ones who can handle it", because at the really low level, either the first part or the last part really isn't true.

I think some story lines are more difficult to play out at high levels because of the capabilities of the heroes (mystery storylines are probably the toughest, but given the equal or superior capabilities of heroes' nemeses at this level, it's not an unmanageable problem). But a good GM should always be responsive to what players want. If players want more roleplay, that's obviously doable. If they want things to be more "relatable", then it's still possible to create a "hook" to work that in there (for example, the character, a teen with an otherwise ordinary life, says the magic word "antidisestablishmentarianism" to become Captain Veda and gain all the powers of the Hindu pantheon; when he isn't Captain Veda he has to deal with all the typical teen human problems) and to find ways to mitigate the effects of having vast power on some typical plot obstacles. Another thing is to still create levels of opposition which begin at the "local" level and therefore still involve the heroes interacting with ordinary civilians and tromping about local neighborhoods, and where they don't hop aboard their star cruiser to take on Lord Badguy and his Legion of Villainy until around stage 3 or 4 of the storyline. There's lots of ways to make storylines and characters more relatable, even in a high powered game. Really, as has been said, there's only so many different plotlines in existence. It's just that the explosions are bigger and the number of dice you roll is greater.:)

Really' date=' as has been said, there's only so many different plotlines in existence. It's just that the explosions are bigger and the number of dice you roll is greater.:)[/quote']

The very basic plotlines are the same I'll agree. There are only so many plots but the style and moods are very different. High Powered mysteries are generally solved through application of blunt force, for example. Telepathy, Cosmic Awareness, etc) where as in lower powered games they are more involved investigation, role playing and Deduction more often. The stories at low levels feel more personal to me. I can relate to the street level vigilante patrolling his neighborhood, helping people, getting personal thanks and at least theoretically vulnerable to some of the things that threatened the common more than can do Capt Awesome that can stand a tac-nuke the chest and fights embodied concepts Reality. Saving the neighborhood or the city by stopping a criminal gang or mobsters feels more real (particularly multiple times) than saving the Universe from Lord Chaos, more meaningful as I can relate to it. I generally only want to "Save the World" in the literal sense, once in a campaign as the conclusion not every other adventure.

I think the "critically important heroes" storyline works fine in low powered games. There might be "others" somewhere that could do it, but they're not there right now. Or the characters might actually be the only ones with the required abilities and more importantly, heroic drive to use them without being able to snap the planet in half. There's been allot movies, novels and comics along those lines that it seems to be valid storyline to use. I run a few 250 and lower point games and the players seem to quite happy with their PCs being the ones in the right place at the right time and often with the right tools without being the Justice League.

You say the same personal issues can come up, but frankly they just don't feel the same. The high power focus seems to be on the "epic" and "grand" more than dealing with a love life or interacting with people and issues in the world. Unless someone is a cosmic being or something similar, they don't seem to really "matter" and that's not a style that interests me. In the end, I just don't groove on planet busting Power. It starts to feel silly and dull to me very quickly. I find lower powered games create the more personal and, IMO, intense and intricate stories I enjoy. I'm trying to avoid sounding condescending. Maybe its' best to agree to disagree and I'll bow out of the thread.

At one point I had a copy of Ars Magica one of the recommended campaign ideas was to create all the members of the House from the powerful mages to the warriors and the servants. This allowed the GM and the players to tell very different styles of stories. I wonder how well this would work in Hero terms.

For example: A super team might consist of five or six amazingly powerful characters, your 1000+ supermen but it also has your lower powered, relatively speaking heroes at 350 points. Players would create two or three characters, the planet buster, the standard super and another players DNPC or follower. The GM then has a ready made cannon of possible stories at every range of play. Meed to stop Uberman from eating the Sun send in the planet breakers. The other members of the team can handle the crime syndicate who have been making their move in the chaos.

The more I think about it I may try this depending on how my regular game goes.

Well, one could have a "super hero franchise" concept, where there are maybe 3 teams of heroes, with one being the "big league" heroes who take on the world-beaters, another being the "mid league" heroes who are a typical big city team, and the third being the "junior league" heroes who are out patrolling the neighborhood and fighting street gangs, mobsters and minor supervillains. The plotlines of the three teams could even be interlinked, so the junior league heroes could uncover a larger plot that would draw in one of the other teams. The big league heroes could be busy fighting the major bad guy(s) while the junior league heroes were fighting mooks to retrieve a plot device or rescue a key prisoner.

I agree that fighting world-beaters all the time would be incredibly boring. That's why I've been looking at running a mystery solving campaign, where combat is almost always either totally one-sided or indecisive, and problems have to be thought about, rather than punched.

My ideal version of this would be a high power game, although I'm a bit rusty at GMing, and am therefore considering a low power version on the grounds that it might be simpler.

Basically, I'd really like to play the Silver Age Superman one day. He's not what you think, and neither were his stories.

• 2 months later...

I'll post a link here for my entry - Played from 350 to where she is now.

Character thread here with background and artwork:

Black Cat

Updated character sheet:

Black Cat

Val Char Points Total Roll Notes

25 STR 15 25 14- HTH Damage 5d6 END [0]

32 DEX 66 32 15- OCV 11 DCV 11

30 CON 40 30 15-

21 BODY 22 21 13-

22 INT 12 22 13- PER Roll 18-

21 EGO 22 21 13- ECV: 7

21 PRE 11 21 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

22 COM 6 22 13-

20 PD 15 29 29 PD (17 rPD)

20 ED 14 29 29 ED (17 rED)

9 SPD 48 9 Phases: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12

11 REC 0 11

60 END 0 60

60 STUN 11 60

10" Running 8 10"

4" Swimming 2 4"

5" Leaping 0 5" Total Characteristics Cost: 292

Cost Powers END

130 Martial Arts and Chi manuevers: VPP, 85 base + 45 control cost, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Cosmic (+2) (232 Active Points); Pool reserve is also total active point cap (-1), Limited Class Of Powers Available Martial Arts and Ch'i manuevers only - Generally only combat (nothing that lasts for very long) (-1); all slots Limited Power No Push (-1/4)

Ch'i abilities

15 Ch'i Training and focus: Elemental Control, 30-point powers

4 1) Ch'i Shift: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Any Location); Increased Endurance Cost (5x END; -2), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1) 15

15 2) It's _my_ Ch'i: Power Defense (20 points), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (30 Active Points)

15 3) Ch'i Healing: Regeneration - 2 active points of characteristic per turn, Vs All Characterstics at the same time. (+2)

10 4) Ch'i Pain Masking: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2)

10 5) Ch'i Pain Masking: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2)

6 6) Ch'i Enhanced Stability: +15 BODY (30 Active Points); Only vs Transforms, other change effects, or the level of negative body for death. (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

16 7) Faceshifting: Shape Shift (Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Touch Groups, limited group of shapes), Makeover, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (68 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/4), Limited group is very limited. (-1)

13 Ch'i Sense: Detect Ch'i 18-/13- (Sight Group), Discriminatory, Analyze 0

3 Soul Strengthening: Damage Resistance (4 Power Def.), Hardened (x2; +1/2) 0

10 Blessing of the Gods (Dragon Tournement): Luck 2d6 0

2 Blessings of Longevity (Dragon Tournement): LS (Longevity: 400 Years) 0

2 Been There, Done That / I've been dead already: +5 EGO (10 Active Points); Only for defending against presence attacks (-3)

Notes: Ego for defending against PRE attacks: 32

Physical Training / Complete Physiological Control

5 Endurance Training: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) applied to Running

5 Parkour: Usable As Superleap (+1/4) for up to 20 Active Points of Running 1

4 Parkour 2: Usable As Flight (+1/4) for up to 20 Active Points of Running; Must touch surface at start and end of movement (-1/4) 1

10 Perfected immune system: Life Support (Immunity All poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All diseases and biowarfare agents) 0

1 Metabolism control: LS (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week) 0

1 Meditation Training: Life Support (Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) 0

3 Meditation Training: Lightsleep

1 Iron Stomach: Life Support (Eating: Character can eat any protein, normal food or not, drink any type of water) 0

12 Endurance Training: Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (12 Active Points) applied to STR

2 Concentration Training: Eidetic Memory; Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1)

15 Awareness Training: +5 PER with All Sense Groups 0

8 Iron Shirt: Damage Resistance (8 PD/8 ED) 0

3 Environmental conditioning: LS (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (4 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4) 0

2 Breath Control: LS (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Minute) 0

Mental Abilities

Note: DECV 12, Defensive Ego 27, Breakout Roll 17-

0 Mind's Eye: Mental Awareness 0

5 Mental Awareness: Detect Minds 18-/13- (Mental Group) 0

12 Agile Mind: +4 DECV

6 Strong Will: +4 With Ego Breakout rolls

13 Mental Wall: Mental Defense (18 points total) (Defensive Ego added in) 0

1 Reinforced Mental Wall: Damage Resistance (3 Mental Def.) 0

8 Defensive Training: +7 EGO; Only For Defensive Psi stuff (figuring Mental D, DECV, Breakout rolls, and effect levels, And Pre Attacks) (-3/4)

15 Control Resistance: Mental Damage Reduction, 50% (30 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type Of Attack Not Vs Damage (-1) 0

8 Psionics: Variable Power Pool, 5 base + 3 control cost, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), IPE: Mental Sense Group, Hide Effect of power from Target, No metnal Signature/Trace (+1), Cosmic (+2); Pool reserve is max Active points in pool (-1), Limited SFX: Telepathic Mind to mind abilities only (-3/4)

0 Saving: Char * 0

0 Saving: Skills 0

5 Saving: Superskills 0

0 Saving: Ch'i 0

1 Saving: Mental 0

1 Saving: Physiological Control 0

Martial Arts

3 Defensive Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Block, Target Falls

3 Grappling Block: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, Block

3 Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Strike, Target Falls

3 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Dogde, Abort, FMove

3 Passing Attack: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Target Falls, FMove

Perks

3 Jack of All Trades

3 Scholar

3 Scientist

3 Linguist

5 Reputation - Master of the Inner Secrets (Martial Arists) ; 14-, +5/+5d6

10 Money: Wealthy

1 Fringe Benefit: Black Belt

2 Fringe Benefit: Private Investigator License

1 Fringe Benefit: Accredited Instructor

3 Fringe Benefit: Pentarchy Computernet Access Card

8 Fringe Benefit: Interdimensional Police Powers (BSU and Pentarchy Agent )

10 Fringe Benefit: License to Kill (Pentarchy Agent)

Talents

3 Absolute Range Sense

3 Absolute Time Sense

3 Bump Of Direction

18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

1 Reproductive Control

Skills

3 Breakfall 15-

3 Acrobatics 15-

3 Martial Arts (DEX-based) 15-

2 PS: Kata/Forms Performance (DEX-based) (JOT) 15-

2 PS: Dancing (DEX-based) (JOT) 15-

40 +5 with All Combat

10 +1 Overall

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

9 Ambidexterity (Eliminate Off Hand Penalty entirely)

22 Danger Sense (Sense, Intuitional, Out of Combat) 18-

5 Tactics 14-

3 KS: Military/Tactical History (INT-based) (Scholar) 14-

3 KS: Strategy / Tactics (INT-based) (Scholar) 14-

3 Deduction (Intuition) 13-

3 Analyze: Combat 13-

3 SS: Anatomy (INT-based) (Scientist) 13-

2 SS: Kinesthology (INT-based) (Scientist) 13-

2 PS: Physical Therapy (INT-based) (JOT) 13-

3 PS: Mystic Healing (INT-based) (JOT) 13-

3 Paramedics 13-

2 PS: Teacher (PRE-based) (JOT) 13-

3 Instructor 13-

3 KS: Ch'i (INT-based) (Scholar) 14-

2 KS: Eastern Philosophy (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: Martial Arts Mystic World (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: Martial Arts Styles (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: Martial World (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: Current Events (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: History (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: Agencies (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: Supers (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: Byzantium (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: The Twelve Worlds (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 KS: The Mystic Universe (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

2 SS: Political Science (INT-based) (Scientist) 13-

2 KS: Politics (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Oratory 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Bureaucratics 13-

3 Acting 13-

3 High Society 13-

4 Gambling (Board Games, Card Games) 13-

3 KS: Tactical Games (INT-based) (Scholar) 14-

2 KS: Games (INT-based) (Scholar) 13-

3 PS: Tactical Gaming (INT-based) (JOT) 14-

3 Stealth 15-

3 Climbing 15-

3 Criminology 13-

4 Navigation (Dimensional, Land, Marine) 13-

0 L: English (idiomatic; Native)

3 L: Cantonese (completely fluent)

1 L: Mandarin (completely fluent; Similarity & Linguist)

1 L: Hakka (completely fluent; Similarity & Linguist)

1 L: Wu (completely fluent; Similarity & Linguist)

3 L: Japanese (completely fluent)

1 L: Latin (completely fluent; Linguist and Similarity)

1 L: French (completely fluent; Linguist & Similarity)

1 L: German (completely fluent; Linguist & Similarity)

2 L: Gaelic (completely fluent; Linguist)

1 L: Spanish (completely fluent; Linguist & Similarity)

2 L: Byzantine (idiomatic; Custom Adder, Linguist & Similarity)

2 L: Pentarch (completely fluent; Linguist & Similarity)

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 723

Total Cost: 1015

200+ Disadvantages

20 Watched: Pentarchy 11- (Frequently), More Powerful, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching

5 Distinctive Features: Aura of Serenity (Chi master) Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses

10 Agent of the Pentarchy: (Frequently, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

15 Hunted: Deathcat 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: V.o.t.W. 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: Enemies of the Pentarchy 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

5 Dependent NPC: Trainee (or her charges/contacts on her mission) 11- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

10 Reputation: Master of Ch'i, Amazing Fighter., 14- (Known Only To A Small Group)

5 Distinctive Features: Master of Ch'i, Amazing Fighting Skills (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Small Group; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)

10 Psychological Limitation: Code of the "Master" Common, Moderate

10 Psychological Limitation: Honorable to Same Uncommon, Strong

15 Psychological Limitation: Code of least force Common, Strong

15 Psychological Limitation: Protector of the weak Common, Strong

Total Disadvantages Points: 150

And Powers in the Martial Arts pool.

Cat's Martial Manuevers

63 Martial Strike: +2 with OCV plus +2 with DCV plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +13d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

60 Defensive Strike: +3 with DCV plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +12d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) plus +1 with OCV

63 Accurate Strike: +3 with 0CV plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +13d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) plus +1 with DCV

60 Minor Accurate Strike: +2 with 0CV plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +15d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

60 Minor Defensive Strike: +2 with DCV plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +15d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

57 Power Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +17d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

48 Grab: +85 STR; No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), No lifting capacity/only for Combat Grabs and damage (-1/4)

56 Nerve Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6+1, No Normal Defense - r D over body rolled (Standard; +1) (84 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

66 Paralytic Nerve Strike: Entangle 2d6, 4 DEF, Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (82 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

68 Eye gouge / Ear Pop: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 16d6; Only on those with approriate physiology (-1/4)

82 Crippling Strike: Major Transform 3 1/2d6, Partial Transform (+1/2)

65 First Strike: Lightning Reflexes: +15 DEX to act first with Single Action plus +2 OCV plus HA +12d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

59 Thunder Strike: Hearing Group Flash 4d6 plus EB 3d6 (vs. ED), NND (Deaf or Hearing group Flash D; +1); No Range (-1/2) plus HA +8d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

84 Knocking the Armor off: (Total: 84 Active Cost, 84 Real Cost) +1 with OCV (Real Cost: 5) plus Drain rPD 5d6+1, any rPD power one at a time (+1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4) (79 Active Points) (Real Cost: 79)

56 Multitarget attack: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6+1, Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Selective Target (+1/4); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

56 Combination Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), 0 End (raising from on pool) (+1/2); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

56 Counterpunch: HA +8d6+1, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; When Blocking successfully; +1); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

56 Run and hit: HA +8d6+1, Area of Effect Trail (+1); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

56 Concussive Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +9 1/2d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (84 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

57 Ch'i Enhanced Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +11d6+1, Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (85 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

57 Ch'i Flame Punch: HA +17d6; Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Notes: Vs ED not PD

57 Precision Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +11d6+1, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

56 Perfect Precision Strike: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6+1, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

28 Vibrational Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +13d6+1, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4); Target must be touching barrier (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Attack must be made within barrier (-1/2)

57 Ghost Palm: HA +11d6+1, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

85 Spirit Lock: +50 STR, Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)

65 Faster than the Eye can see: On STR: Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) for up to 25 Active Points plus Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

80 Killing Strike: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (vs. PD), +4 STUN Multiplier (+1)

80 Assassin's Strike: HKA 2 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (vs. PD), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2)

80 Lethal Counterstrike: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (3d6+1 w/STR) (vs. ED), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Successful Block; +1) (80 Active Points)

79 Flashing Knife Hands: HKA 3d6 (3 1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. ED), Autofire (2 shots; +1/4), 0 end (on top of pool) (+1/2)

85 Lethal Strike: Piercing, rPD, 15 pts plus HKA 2 1/2d6 (4d6 w/STR) (vs. ED)

42 Doorburster: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 5 1/2d6 (7d6 w/STR) (vs. ED); Only half damage vs skin/organic ect (normal on metal, wood ect) (-1)

85 Ch'i flame strike: HKA 5 1/2d6 (7d6 w/STR) (vs. ED)

Notes: Vs rED not rPD

60 Avoiding the shots: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) plus +20 with Missile Deflection

84 Take it on the Chin: to 3/4r Physical reduction plus to 3/4r Energy Reduction plus Armor (8 PD/8 ED)

57 Rooted to the Earth: Clinging (245 STR); Cannot use movement powers (-1/2)

72 Ultimate Dodge: Desolidification (affected by Area Affect powers); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2) plus +9 with DCV

72 Ultimate Dive for Cover: Desolidification (affected by Any non area that would hit her DCV); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2) plus +9 with Dive for Cover

33 You may not pass: FW (22 PD), Must stay mobile (+0), Transparent to ED Attacks (+1/2); No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2)

68 Channeling with Ch'i: Absorption 11d6+1 (physical, PD), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (85 Active Points); The Uncontrolled only effects the defense, the absorbtion does not continue (-1/4)

68 Channeling with Ch'i: Absorption 11d6+1 (energy, ED), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (85 Active Points); The Uncontrolled only effects the defense, the absorbtion does not continue (-1/4)

80 Ultimate Block: +8 with OCV plus +8 with DCV

57 Kiai Shout: +17d6 Pre Attack; Attack only (-1/2)

54 Kiai so loud it hurts: EB 5d6 (vs. ED), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1), NND (Deaf, hard Ear Covering; +1); No Range (-1/2)

26 Kiai so loud it makes you deaf: Drain INT 4 1/2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2); Only Vs Hearing Perception Rolls (-2)

67 Kiai so loud it hurts - Focused: EB 8d6+1 (vs. ED), NND (Deaf or Hard Ear Covering; +1); Limited Range 50" (-1/4)

42 Kiai vibrational attack: RKA 5 1/2d6 (vs. ED); Only vs Rigid, inanimate objects (-1)

55 Ch'i Hand: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6 1/2d6, Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defence; +1 1/2) (82 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

53 Multitarget Ch'i Hand: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4 1/2d6, Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Selective (+1/4), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defence; +1 1/2) (80 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

54 Combination Ch'i Hand: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3 1/2d6, 0 end (added to pool) (+1/2), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defence; +1 1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (81 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

85 Ch'i Healing Burst: Healing Standard 8 1/2d6

42 Flow of Life: Healing BODY 6 1/2d6, Resurrection; Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Takes the amount of healing as damage.; -1)

85 Ch'i Restoration: Major Transform 5 1/2d6 (Person into Healthy Person)

83 Ch'i Grab: Telekinesis (55 STR)

56 Ch'i Shove: Dispel KB resistance 14d6, Does Knockback (+1/4), Double Knockback (+3/4) (84 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

40 Dim Maks: Drain 6 1/2d6, Delayed Return Rate (5 Points per Minute; +1/4); Limited Power Only One affect per target at a time (-1)

85 Special Nerve Strikes: Drain Any physical Char but Body 8 1/2d6

80 Strike of physical weakness: +1 OCV plus Drain BODY 2 1/2d6, all Characterisitcs simultaneously (+2) (75 Active Points)

85 Touch of Weakness: Suppress STR 17d6

85 Touch of Clumsiness: Suppress DEX 17d6

85 Other Touch: Suppress Other Characteristics 17d6

85 Special Nerve Flurry (Death Flower): +5 OCV plus Drain BODY 2d6, 0 End (in addition to pool) (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (60 Active Points)

57 Ch'i Wave: EB 11d6+1 (vs. ED), Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4); No Range (-1/2)

68 Ch'i Blast: Energy Blast 17d6 (vs. ED); Limited Range 50" (-1/4)

85 Ch'i Beam: RKA 5 1/2d6 (vs. ED)

82 Focused Ch;i Beam: Killing Attack - Ranged 3 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Penetrating (+1/2) (82 Active Points)

75 Splitting Focused Ch'i Beam: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Penetrating (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points)

85 Accurate Ch'i Beam: +4 OCV plus RKA 4d6+1 (vs. ED)

67 Ch'i Concussion Blast: EB 9 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Double Knockback (+3/4); Limited Range 50" (-1/4)

68 Ch'i Fireball: EB 11d6+1 (vs. ED), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2); Limited Range 50" (-1/4)

84 Ch'i Disruption: Dispel 22 1/2d6, Variable Special Effects (Any Ch'i Powers One at a time; +1/4)

82 Ch'i Theft: Transfer 1 1/2d6 (Stun to Stun), Can Transfer Maximum Of 25 Points, Uncontrolled (lasts one turn) (+1/2), Continuous (+1)

82 Ch'i Leak: Drain Characteristic 3d6+1, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (lasts one turn) (+1)

84 Special Pattern Strike Ch'i leak: Suppress 5 1/2d6, 0 End (Added to the pool's) (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1)

28 Ch'i Ehancement: Aid Whatever 8 1/2d6 (85 Active Points); All fade in 1 turn (-1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)

57 Strike of Ultimate Despair: Mind Control 13 1/2d6, Telepathic (+1/4); single command - Surrender (-1/2)

42 The Calm of true peace: Mind Control 13 1/2d6, Telepathic (+1/4) (85 Active Points); Single command - calm down, be at peace (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)

52 Tower of Iron Will: (Total: 79 Active Cost, 52 Real Cost) Buy off Limitation on Damage Reduction; 1/2 Phase Combat Ending action (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Buy Mental Reduction to 75% r; (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus +20 Mental Defense (20 points total) (20 Active Points); (-1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus Damage Resistance (7 Mental Def.) (3 Active Points); (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) plus Hardended on Mental Defense; (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)

The pool is for "martial maneuvers" basically her training enhancing her personal abilities - it can enhance her Mental pool, but no more than double.

Well, let's look at a "simple" power and see how much it would really cost to build to concept.

Bulletproof skin: no weapons smaller than a small cannon(20mm) are capable of piercing the character's skin under any circumstances, and the character is highly resistant to larger caliber weaponry. Most of the time the character will also suffer no concussive injury from small arms fire, either.

Let's build it as Armor (20rPD), double hardened, that's 45 real points.

Throw in +30 PD to ensure that minimal stun gets through, that's another 30 real points.

Finally, we can toss in 50% physical damage reduction, resistant, to ensure no lucky bullet will ever stun the character, that's another 30 real points.

105 points to be nigh-invulnerable to everything up to heavy-machine gun fire.

And that doesn't even include protection against blaster attacks, sonic attacks, etc.

Even if you scale it down to 13rPDh Armor, with +20 PD and 1/4 reduction, that's still 60 points.

Now, let's say the character has a special attack:

Tank-buster punch: The character's fists are so strong and tough that she can punch through tank armor like it was styrofoam.

(Let's say the character has a 75 STR and can do 21 DC with a pushed haymaker)

2d6-1 HKA, AP Pen, 3.5d6 HKA with pushed haymaker. 54/55 real points (plus the cost of STR)

My only point is that doing some of the standard stuff that mid-powered characters in the comics do is already pretty expensive. Achieving the more impressive feats could(and usually does) take a huge number of points.

Nexus' date=' you mentioned running out of things you want to buy for a character... I have over 1500 pts of things to get in my "want to buy" list for Black Cat, so I could keep playing her for another 10 years. Or more. :)[/quote']

I guess I just don't think at that scale. I can never come up with that much stuff. Even the character I mentioned feels unbelievably bloated and power gamed and probably isn't that bad on this scale.

Some of this depends on how you buy it. There are different ways of modeling the same effect. How your campaign is scaled (I have some issues with the supremacy how military hardware is handled, the ever lovin' Stun Lotto and feels like some general power creep) and if you consider "proof" to mean absolutely no Stun or even notice of the attack. So far, I haven't had any complaints about PCs feeling "weak" compared to their comic book counterparts in long time running Champions so I must be doing something right. :)

I'm not saying there's a right or a wrong way to handle things. In the end it's all just preferences but you don't "need" quad-digit characters to have fun and tell comic book stories (whatever comics you happen to enjoy).

Well of course we don't "need" four digit characters any more than we need low-3-digit ones. They're just fun to play.:)

I guess I just don't think at that scale. I can never come up with that much stuff. Even the character I mentioned feels unbelievably bloated and power gamed and probably isn't that bad on this scale.

:)

Not saying you are wrong, or that what I do is something you should, but here are some of the reasons I like high point characters (and feel comfortable with them)

A lot of it, for me anyway, are those nifty powers that are in there for color, but can be expensive.

9 pts for full Ambidex. Sure.

You note with 'Cat I have a huge list of skills, many of which are color. Perks and talents that have almost never come into play but that fit character conception.

I also tend to build characters who create themselves, and improve themselves as time goes on (Powered Armor, Mages, Martial Artists) - so as long as I have concepts that these characters could train/build to more than they are, then the ability to keep getting things is intact.

Plus there is concept evolution - Black Cat started as a darkforce wielding superhero. Then I talked to the GM, had a radiation accident and became a straight martial artist. Then I started thinking about some of the stuff in some novels I read about someone having complete control of their entire body (including autonomous systems). Then drifting to Ch'i/Video game level martial arts abilities. Then getting mental powers (something every human has the potential for in her universe - and makes sense with complete control of herself).

So here is a character whose story is not completely told (I tend to come up with new major personality based story arcs for her), and that I keep coming up with nifty new stuff for. No reason not to keep playing her and adding stuff. :)

9 pts for full Ambidex. Sure.

That is one of the most nonsensical changes between editions. Mathwise it may be accurate but cost vs utility it fails very hard particularly in games that don't use Hit locations or Impair/Disable.