I Just Bought 5ER (finally)

Dust Raven

I just picked up 5ER this weekend. Yeah me! It must have been the last one in town too, as I had to visit several stores to find a copy.

Now that I actually have one and can keep up with the current rules, I have only a few things to say:

1) It's big! There's so much in here it doesn't stay closed. Really! It kinda lays there with the cover lifted up slightly. I can roll marbles off it and everything.

2) The pages are yellow. Okay, not traffic sign yellow, but certainly not white. It's like I'm reading an old newspaper... that's not been kept in a safe place but rather just left on the doorstep for a few months.

3) Well, okay, nothing else... yet. I'll probably have more to say once I've actually read through it. And maybe find that list of where all the changes are...

Re: I Just Bought 5ER (finally)

1) Freshly-printed FREds tended to have that problem, too. If you store the book where it will be pressed on from both sides, like tightly in a bookshelf or under a stack of other books, that warping will flatten out in a couple of weeks.

2) Did you miss the whole "yellow paper" flap when 5ER first came out? That paper was chosen because it's thinner and stronger than FREd's paper, which DoJ thought necessary to keep the book from being unmanageably thick. It's actually more expensive paper than in other Hero Games books; the color is due to it's not being bleached, since bleaching would weaken it, defeating the purpose of using it in the first place.

3) If you mean zornwil's summary of the differences in page numbering and comparable content between FREd and 5ER, you can view that here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26915 .

And congratulations!:celebrate

1) Freshly-printed FREds tended to have that problem' date=' too. If you store the book where it will be pressed on from both sides, like tightly in a bookshelf or under a stack of other books, that warping will flatten out in a couple of weeks.[/quote']

I'm weary of doing this in fear of damaging the spine of the book, but is probably unavoidable in the long wrong. I gotta put the book someplace other than in the middle of my desk...

2) Did you miss the whole "yellow paper" flap when 5ER first came out? That paper was chosen because it's thinner and stronger than FREd's paper, which DoJ thought necessary to keep the book from being unmanageably thick. It's actually more expensive paper than in other Hero Games books; the color is due to it's not being bleached, since bleaching would weaken it, defeating the purpose of using it in the first place.

I might have missed that... but for some reaon I recall all the stuff about it being stronger but thinner.

3) If you mean zornwil's summary of the differences in page numbering and comparable content between FREd and 5ER, you can view that here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26915 .

That might just be it! Thanks!

And congratulations!:celebrate

And thanks!

I just picked up 5ER this weekend. Yeah me! It must have been the last one in town too, as I had to visit several stores to find a copy.

Now that I actually have one and can keep up with the current rules, I have only a few things to say:

1) It's big! There's so much in here it doesn't stay closed. Really! It kinda lays there with the cover lifted up slightly. I can roll marbles off it and everything.

2) The pages are yellow. Okay, not traffic sign yellow, but certainly not white. It's like I'm reading an old newspaper... that's not been kept in a safe place but rather just left on the doorstep for a few months.

3) Well, okay, nothing else... yet. I'll probably have more to say once I've actually read through it. And maybe find that list of where all the changes are...

Wow, you managed to find a 1st Print Run of 5ER.

I know at least the second run (which is what my copy is from) is back to the white paper and is a good 1/2 inch thinner. In fact my copy of 5ER is not that much thicker than FREd.

I know at least the second run (which is what my copy is from) is back to the white paper and is a good 1/2 inch thinner. In fact my copy of 5ER is not that much thicker than FREd.

So much for buying quickly and trying to be supportive of the company. I wish I had waited for a second printing. :(

I personally don't care either way - as long as it's readable. And the yellowish paper was readable for me. Though I use Full Spectrum lights in my house and I notice everything is easier to read and see with those. Those crappy lightbulbs put off horrible light I hate having to use them.

But there's a certain visual stigma that goes with environmentally friendly unbleached paper... sadly.

The second printing was different?

Where the hell are these books? No such book ever made it to Phoenix!

I personally don't care either way - as long as it's readable.

That's the problem I'm having. In limited or florescent light, the pages are difficult to read. I'm a smoker, but I always smoke outside. One of the things I do is take a Hero Book with me and read while I'm out there. I've noticed a marked difference in contrast in the printing under my porch light.