Introducing Scott Free Press!

Kevin B. Madiso

Re: Introducing Scott Free Press!

I'd just like to point out a little something I don't know if anyone's thought about

Scott Free = Mr. Miracle, a DC owned character who may or may not have the name copyrighted and trademarked. Yes Yes I know, two different beasts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy Folks,

Some answers to your questions:

Did you use Hero Designer for this, and if so, what version?

None, just pencil, paper and a calculator.

STUN: Figured Characteristics give him 48, so it should only cost 2 points, not 3 to bring him to 50.

Corrected (I rounded down when I should have rounded up).

Why if he has 19" of running and 20" of leaping, does he only have 2" (default) of swimming?

In my mind, it fits the character concept. Ariswanto is an Indonesian Super-Soldier and while he may be quite fast and agile on land, I don't see the same translating to the water (although there may be a case for a higher than average Swim).

ASSAULT RIFLE: Once the charges become an advantage instead of a disad, you receive 2x the # of clips (thus, 4, not 2)...WF: This should only cost 5 points, not 10. Assault Rifles/LMGs are part of the "Small Arms" catagory, it doesn't need to be purchased/listed twice...RUNNING: 19 doubled is 38, not 28...REPUTATION: This should be given "Extreme" to make it worth 15 points, otherwise, it's just 10.

All Fixed.

CONTACT TNI: This needs to be expanded/detailed.

According to the Hero Games Writing Guidelines, this suffices. Ariswanto has contacts with the Indonesian military, but since Indonesia became a democracy, he's lost many of the contacts that would have raised the cost of this Perk (he's seen by the current administration as a useful tool, but also an unfortunate reminder of some of the worst acts of the Suharto regime).

The biggest weakness of the character is NO Resitant Defense!

This isn't a flaw in the design, it's an intended shortcoming. In Ariswanto's history, it describes how he was trounced by a Timorese superhuman when he faced him head-on, which is why he now makes use of stealth and guerilla tactics against other superhumans.

I would personally change the flashlight to "Change Environment" instead of Images.

I used the write-up for a Flashlight on page 189 of the HERO 5th Revised Rulebook, but I can see how Change Environment would work too.

As for the weapons that you mentioned were missing in the description, I've written them up two ways (one as individual items and another as a VPP), leaving players and GMs to choose whichever works best for their campaigns.

Thanks for the excellent feedback Kirby (good to have a pair of eyes more experienced in HERO than mine to look over the stats). Please keep it coming.

Scott Free = Mr. Miracle, a DC owned character who may or may not have the name copyrighted and trademarked.

Heh heh. I think I'm safe on this one. Like many of the other characters in the 'Fourth World' line, Mr. Miracle's secret ID name speaks to his character (an escape artist who gets away 'scott free') in the same way that Darkseid's name spoke to his character (a ruler with a pronounced Dark Side). The name of my company is simply based on this same common phrase.

In any case, as I mention on the site, the name comes from combining the phrase 'scott free' with the idea of a 'free press'. Hopefully that will keep DC's lawyers at bay for now (although if you want to read about potential litigious correspondence from Marvel, read here). :D

Thanks for the comments guys!

Until next time I remain,

As an aside etymology lesson, the actual phrase is scot-free (adj.) meaning "completely free from harm, restraint, punishment, or obligation." It uses the word "scot" (not Scot) (noun) 1. a payment or charge. 2. one's share of a payment or charge. 3. an assessment or tax. [ME < ON skattr tax, treasure; c. OE gescot payment.

(all thanks to Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary, 1996, p.1719)

Yes, I'm a word nerd. :)

Now, having stated that, I don't think there's a copyright infringement since DC's Scott Free (a pun) is regarding a comic character while Scott Free Press' use of Scott Free, while also a pun (unless accidental misspelling), refers to a business and is thus not infringing on the name.

Related, when I go see my eldest niece, I drive by a Champions Real Estate, but there's no infringement between that company and HERO Games' Champions universe. I *think* this is relatively along the same line of DC not being able to copyright a bat for Batman (they had to copyright a symbol, not merely the animal) and Marvel not having a monopoly on the name Juggernaut (just for a comic character).

When I used to work for a business credit management company, I discovered that there could be a (example name) "Paul's Pizza Palace" in one state owned by one person and a "Paul's Pizza Palace" in another state owned by a second person and no infringement (as the name is only reserved for that state). This is different from MegaCorp having MegaStore in each state.

Okay, sorry for being so glib. :D

Did you use Hero Designer for this, and if so, what version?

Using HD 2.42, I've found several flaws:

STUN: Figured Characteristics give him 48, so it should only cost 2 points, not 3 to bring him to 50.

RUNNING: 19 doubled is 38, not 28

COST: I show his characteristics costing 255, not 260

(Aside, why if he has 19" of running and 20" of leaping, does he only have 2" (default) of swimming?

ASSAULT RIFLE: Once the charges become an advantage instead of a disad, you receive 2x the # of clips (thus, 4, not 2).

CONTACT TNI: This needs to be expanded/detailed. Is it merely a 13- for a group? (If so, does it not have any useful skills?)

WF: This should only cost 5 points, not 10. Assault Rifles/LMGs are part of the "Small Arms" catagory, it doesn't need to be purchased/listed twice.

REPUTATION: This should be given "Extreme" to make it worth 15 points, otherwise, it's just 10.

POINT COST: The character has 125 pts in disads, +250 in base (are you sure 250? Not 200?) +83 in XP = 458, but I'm showing the charcter only costs 450 (unless the 250 base is changed to 200 [standard Superhero] in which case, there are 42 points missing).

The biggest weakness of the character is NO Resitant Defense! The Powers and Tactics states "Ariswanto prefers to eliminate targets before they are aware of him (usually through the use of explosives or stealth and silenced handguns)." However, he has neither an explosive nor a silenced weapon.

It says his weapon is an M-16A (is this A1 or A2?) If an A2, the autofire should be reduced to 3 shots.

I would personally change the flashlight to "Change Environment" instead of Images.

I'm starting to get a European Enemies vibe.

Is this a reference to the amount of incorrect character builds from the old European Enemies? I don't own the book' date=' but I seem to remember reading something about it before.[/quote']

Yes, but you shouldn't take it as a malicious stab. Just encouragement to proof and double check your builds before you publish. With this crowd not knowing the system very well or having bad math can be a real killer. On the other hand, I only skimmed your site and haven't read your character write-ups, so it may be they are inspired, whereas in European Enemies those were abyssmal as well. I would like to make one suggestion, though. You will get a better response on the boards if you participate in a few other discussions and become a little better known of your own accord without the marketing (as you have this thread for that already). You don't have to be a hugely dedicated, but I suspect one of the reasons only a few people have responded to your post and most of them are responding around you as opposed to responding to you is that you are an unknown and have essentially only posted marketing posts to date. People tend to respond better when people post about their products (and we have a few members who do) when its a member of the community as it were. I would like to say, however, that I appreciate the fact that you have links to the hero site and several fan sites (like global guardians) on your website.

There are people on the board who would probably gladly respond to the opportunity to proof your builds in return for a credit in your publications. I'm not one of them, being fairly lackadaisical about build costs, but I suspect that an open call would net you more volunteers than you need.

Keith "suspects he misspelled 'lackadaisical', but is too lazy to look it up" Curtis

Yes, but you shouldn't take it as a malicious stab. Just encouragement to proof and double check your builds before you publish.

Heh heh. Consider it a lesson learned. I was sloppy with the write-up and the post and it won't happen again (well, I'm going to try to be sure it doesn't). One of the nice things about posting the characters to the site first is I'm able to fix errors in them as quickly as they're noticed. That said, I realize the high standard of quality associated with the HERO System and I'll be making damn sure I triple check my write-ups in the future. :cool:

I also appreciate the advice regarding posting on other threads too. Your comments are spot on and I'm really regretting having approached these boards the way I did. I'll be making a concerted effort in the future to be more of a participant on the boards, rather than a Scott Free Press mouthpiece.:thumbup:

As for links to sites, if anybody has a site they'd like to have linked from the Scott Free Press site, please drop me a line at kevinmadison@scottfreepress.com with the url and I'll be happy to add it to the links (another one of the perks of being my own webmaster...instant edits).

Cheers,

There are people on the board who would probably gladly respond to the opportunity to proof your builds in return for a credit in your publications.

Damn your fast fingers Keith! :D

That's an awesome idea. If anybody has the time or inclination to look over the HERO write-ups of the Change the World characters, I'll be more than happy to give them full credit on the site and in the published product!

No, not really.

Keith "I suspect I'm not the only one" Curtis

PS. Not meaning any disrespect Rapier, it just seemed like an odd assumption.

Actually, it wouldn't do a thing for me either...I just figured I was in the vast minority. Shrug.

Howdy folks,

I just finished up and posted the HERO System version of Abdul Rahman to the site for your viewing pleasure.

Next up will be Ifrit, the Indonesian superhuman terrorist.

Also, after seeing V for Vendetta this weekend and seeing what's been happening in Belarus this week, am I the only one who thinks that country could use a superhuman?

Cheers,

Howdy folks,

Just wanted to let you all know that the new State of the World is up at the Scott Free Press site, discussing how the media can be used in your HERO System campaign.

In addition, early this week, the HERO System version of Ifrit will be up at the site.

Hmm, with 18/21 posts soley to saying "Look at my site" and those other 3 posts are single posts to other threads (which feels like superficial token responses), I think it's time to unsubscribe to this thread.

I hope it goes better, but SFP is not for me.

Hmm, with 18/21 posts soley to saying "Look at my site" and those other 3 posts are single posts to other threads (which feels like superficial token responses), I think it's time to unsubscribe to this thread.

I hope it goes better, but SFP is not for me.

That's too bad for you then. I was using the info on his site long before he posted the link here. I also think that the fact that his information is going to be made into a Marvel comic is a great boon for him [assuming it has nothing to do with the date]. It also shows that actively taking the time to promote your company/information does pay off. Perhaps Hero Games should take note.

And, of course, you could have just unsubscribed without adding to the non-Hero vitriol which has become so prevalent on these boards of late.

Howdy Folks,

As you've no doubt guessed by now, the big Marvel announcement was only an April Fool's prank (and wishful thinking on my part).

However, in an effort to make it up to you, the next Canadian character, Totem, is now up and ready for use in your own M&M Superlink campaigns.

I was trying to have the HERO System version of the character up at the same time (and get that much closer to catching the HERO System versions up with the M&M Superlink versions), but I was having a hell of a time writing up his animate images ability in HERO, so I'm appealing to the community for advice.

Basically, what he can do is animate about 10 different images at the same time, all of which can stick around for a pretty extended time, all of which are totally loyal to him. The troubles I'm having with the HERO version are:

1) Would the fact that he can only Summon things that are drawings or paintings make the power have an OIF (drawn/painted image) or a specific form of Limited Power?

2) To simulate the Mental Link with the summoned creatures, should I buy a 25 point version of Mind Link (One mind in a group of minds, 8 minds at once, planetary range) and if so, can it get a limitation for being usable only on the Summoned beings and if not that can it get a limitation for being Linked to Summon?

3) Can you think of a better way to build the Artificer feat (which allows him to build magical items for use in specific situations) other than VPP (although this is looking like the best way at present)?

Anyhoo, that's all of my HERO questions for now. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't quite have the time to finish this week's State of the World column, so I'll be posting that (which deals with structuring superhuman police campaigns) along with a few write ups of the spirits Totem can summon tomorrow evening (M&M Superlink stats).

Finally, sorry to see you go Kirby (thanks for the help with Ariswanto's stats) and thanks for the kind words Mitchell.

Oh and before I forget, if anyone has a website they'd like to see added to the list of links at Scott Free Press, drop me a line at postmaster@scottfreepress.com with the URL and I'll add it to the Links page.

1) Would the fact that he can only Summon things that are drawings or paintings make the power have an OIF (drawn/painted image) or a specific form of Limited Power?

I would build this with an OAF, as he'd need an accessible item to use the ability.

2) To simulate the Mental Link with the summoned creatures' date=' should I buy a 25 point version of Mind Link (One mind in a group of minds, 8 minds at once, planetary range) and if so, can it get a limitation for being usable only on the Summoned beings and if not that can it get a limitation for being Linked to Summon?[/quote']

I would use both limitations myself (-1/2 ea.)

3) Can you think of a better way to build the Artificer feat (which allows him to build magical items for use in specific situations) other than VPP (although this is looking like the best way at present)?

You could make it a variation of the Power Skill. I would do something akin to this:

Artificer ([iNT/5]+9): The character may create one-shot devices that allow him to emulate certain powers. The difficulty for the skill is (AP/10) and should be applied at the time of building. KS: Arcane Lore may also add a synergy at the GM's allowance.

Hope this helps :)

Howdy Sketchpad,

Thanks for the advice on Totem's stats. I'm gonna take another run at him later this week, now that I'm armed with your advice. Cheers. :)

In other news, I've posted the tardy State of the World column to the Scott Free Press site for folks to enjoy. It's a lengthy examiniation of how to structure campaigns that feature superhuman law enforcement characters. :thumbup: Check it out!