Pcs and the presidency

Patriot

Re: Pcs and the presidency

Maybe I'm dense, but I just don't see the problem with it.

If I didn't want the PC to actually become President, he wouldn't become President. I'd probably even tell the player so in advance; no need to be passive-aggressive about it.

On the other hand, if the player really had his heart set on it, I might just allow his character to succeed. So What? It's just another job after all -- a nice, high-ranking one with perks, to be sure, but the office certainly does not come with immediate, personal godlike power attached. In that regard I think it's being consistently overrated in this thread.

If he had a public ID, And was for sake of argument a Brick Think of all the money that could be saved on secret service agents.

Assassination attempt......(looks down at the 12 bullet holes in his coat) i though we just had a bad bunch of mosquitoes.

I need ideas:

How many different ways can an election be rigged in the average supers universe?

my thoughts so far:

Voters could be mindless drones.

Could be? (just kidding)

I ran a huge adventure arc in a Champions camaign many years ago, where a US senator (who had relatively minor but invisible psionic powers) worked his way up the power/influence ladder by manipulating friends and enemies alike (including the PCs). He framed the VP with a crime, then got the PCs' help to uncover the crime, forcing the VP's resignation. Of course, the Senator made sure he got selected as the new VP. All he had to do then was get the President out of the way (manipulating Genocide into assassinating him, IIRC), and he was in the White House. *That* is when the PCs figured out what had happened. It was a very dark campaign.

Unless it was a solo or one-shot game, I don't think I'd allow a PC to become President. Too much power, too many restrictions and complications, and if there are multiple players, there's too much chance of it becoming a one-man show.

This discussion makes me want to run a Super Sentai game with the PCs as the executive branch of the government.

Super Executive Team Hyper Task Force Go!

Advised by the Joint Chiefs, the President, VP, Secretary of State and Chief of Staff fight against injustice and threats to the United States from out of its borders, and out of this dimension! When they combine their forces, the can call on the powers of the White House, which transforms into a gigantic mecha which fires lasers from the marble columns.

Needless to say, it would be rather silly.

I need ideas:

How many different ways can an election be rigged in the average supers universe?

my thoughts so far:

Candidate could be “Manchurian”.

Voting machines can be hacked.

Electors could be mindless drones; Voters could be mindless drones.

News Networks can be hacked, controlled, or bamboozled.

Candidate could be an illusion, construct, proxy, robot, or alien shapeshifter.

White House completely replaced by _____ type of construct.

Constitution can be amended to make any of the above easier or unnecessary.

more?

Please: Save your "witty" political banter or party jokes for non-gaming discussion area...

Necromancy and Thread-Jacking: super-crime at its very best....

Thanks.

A crisis could be manufactured specifically for the purpose of allowing the candidate to "save the day".

Actual candidate could be replaced an illusion, construct, proxy, robot, shapeshifter.

Opposing candidate could be an illusion, construct, proxy, robot, or shapeshifter or be replaced by one.

Opposing candidate could be framed for some terrible transgression an illusion, construct, proxy, robot, shapeshifter or mindcontrol.

Person or organization close enough to opposing campaign to provoke guilt by association responses could be framed for some terrible transgression an illusion, construct, proxy, robot, shapeshifter or mindcontrol.