[Review] Asian Bestiary I

TheQuestionMan

[Review] Asian Bestiary, Volume 1

Writing (4 out of 5)

Michael's writing has done nothing, but improve since Ninja Hero. I had to cross reference some of the Creatures from various sources and was very pleased to see how we he adapted mythological creatures into fiction. The Racial Package Deals are inspired, but they left you anticipating Cultural Package Deals somewhere (Maybe I missed them, but I do not believe so). If this is Book One of a Two Book set let me place my order for Book 2 NOW!!! My only complaint is a lack of Creature Sub Plots and Asian Wisdom in the borders reguarding them.

Layout (4.5 out of 5)

The layout by Region is inspired (Wish I had thought of that???). The Table of Contents, the Appendix Resources, and the Indexes are up to DoJ's high standards. The Creatures Listed by Country Table is great, but when, not if, but when Doj does a second print run they should add page numbers to it. The Shaded (?) Racial Package Deals and Additional Sections where a good choices and make it easy to reference. The Art placement is a big improvement over Fantasy Hero's Bestiary. Again my only complaints is The Creatures Listed by Country Tableand the many empty borders

Art (4 out of 5)

The Cover Art, what there is of it is nice, but I want full Cover Art (Personal Preference). The Interior Art is of better quality than recent DoJ Books. There are several great pieces and I love Duke's "Rakshasa" (Plug). Yet another reason I will be getting Book 2. Niiiccceee!

Summary (4.67 out of 5)

You want to through something strange and new at your Gamers, this is the book for you. I really envy Gamers who get to play in Asian Camapign settings and now I HATE YOU! The Asian Bestiary is the perfect addition to any Gamers Library. Its focus is on Fantasy Hero, but with little work it can be adapted to any Hero Genre.

Susano and DoJ did a great job and I highly recogmend the Asian Bestary Volume 1 for everyone.

More Later

QM

P.S.: I gots it and its mine mine I tell you muhwahahahaha!!!

Re: [Review] Asian Bestiary I

LOL' date=' sorry guys. I had a date last night and could only briefly check it out. I will get back to it today. [/quote']

A date? What's wrong with you! Where's your sense of purpose? Of sense of duty, of sacrifice???

:D

Just posting to say I got mine from the FLGS. Haven't cracked it open yet.

I too like the full page art, but I'm guessing it's a matter of economics that they simply adapt an interior picture to the cover.

Whoo Hoo! Thanks Question Man.

I'm still waiting eagerly for my copy.

Its too bad that no stores in downtown Toronto seem to sell any hero products.

Actually thats scary.

The Hairy Tarantula, it's a comics/games store maybe about a block or two from the Eaton Centre. You should be able to find it in the phone book. It usually has all the latest HERO products, though you might have to wait a bit for them to get in. Still, good store and well stocked.

The Hairy Tarantula' date=' it's a comics/games store maybe about a block or two from the Eaton Centre. You should be able to find it in the phone book. It usually has all the latest HERO products, though you might have to wait a bit for them to get in. Still, good store and well stocked.[/quote']

Ah I have not been there in years. I'll have to take walk down there.