Character Idea: A "Transformer" in Champions

AdamLeisemann

I have a character idea, but I spotted a potential problem that could be a pain for a GM to deal with.

The idea: Take a Giant Tansforming Robot (along the lines of Transformers). To accomplish this, you create a vehicle (with Ultimate Vehicle) as the character's multiform, and choose a size template to fit the vehicle Size (using Fantasy Hero or Star Hero).

The Problem: Because these robots are big, they cannot fit into any buildings. The other PCs can, but that leaves the player of the robot out of the action.

So far, there are three solutions to a problem like this.

1) The GM does something to occupy the Robot. This, for a GM, is nothing short of a pain, so let's scrap that one.

2) The player buys a follower who is a human. Unfortunately, the companion is an NPC and is considerably weaker than the PC.

3) The player buys a second, human Multiform that, when assumed, leaves the robot behind. Problem is, this goes against the very grain of Multiform, which does not leave behind a "Main Body"

What would you guys do if you wanted to play a GTR in a champions game but sidestep this problem without Incomveniencing the GM?

Re: Character Idea: A "Transformer" in Champions

I would probably pull a famous Transformer trick.

When I transform into humanoid form, I am 8 to 8.5 feet tall (2 levels of Growth), you can fit into most buildings without too much trouble except for having to bend your head, and slouch a bit. In really small buildings (they should be rare, but sometimes they just happen), I'll just have to suffer being on my knees (1/2 DCV?).

Next when I transform into vehicle mode, I am suddenly bigger and heavier. (Transformers conserve mass, since when?) Although dodging and diving for cover is easier, my DCV is even worse than being a giant human., since cars don't dodge nearly as gracefully as a humanoid.

An additional option:

The "Roller" option: (Also known as the "Cassette" option):

A Follower or Summon that consists of a separate character who is essentially a part of the main character, or nestled within the main character.

Named for the little rolling car that comes out of Optimus Prime's trailer ("More than Meets the Eye", part 2, or the Optimus Prime toy).

Also named for Soundwave's various cassettes: Rumble, Frenzy, Ravage, and Lazerbeak.

The nice thing with this option is it gives you options even when you are able to use the "main" character--Soundwave + Cassettes teaming up on some poor schmuck.

Giant Robot RPG (carry over post to SH from DC)

http://herogame.dans.cust.servlets.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40490

Superbuddies Forums - Artist Alley

Ultron...(New Transformers added 03/04)

http://www.superbuddies.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5007&start=120&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=transformers

Cheers

QM

The Headmaster, motorcycle, and "since when do Transformers conserve mass?" ideas are all things that occurred to me. There's also a variation on the Headmaster idea, just having a robotic or holographic "avatar" that can follow the other characters around.

A variation on this can give you some ideas.

Transformers had Headmasters and Powermasters (human partner changed into the engine). If you're commited to a 100% robot, you can have a small android pilot the larger robot. There wouldn't be a need for a big (if any) cockpit. You'd just plug yourself in like the Matrix.

Or you can go with another Transformer gimic, Pretenders. Taking "since when do Transformers conserve mass?" to a whole new level, you have a human shell containing the robot. The shell splits open/disolves/whatever and the robot comes out of it growing to its full height.

It doesn't have to be a large robot either. Transformers had Micromasters and Minicons who were roughly human sized. Sure the cars they changed into looked like something you see on a bumper car rink, but it still transformed.

I could see working some Transformers into Champions. Imagine your team just defeated Mechanon. He's about to transfer himself to a new body. But it doesn't work. Right before his body self-destructs he says, "Master please! Give me another chance! Unicron..!" BOOM!