Help Requested: Name my Canadian team and it's members

proditor

Re: Help Requested: Name my Canadian team and it's members

You might take any of the suggestions that feel "marginal" and run them thru a English-French translator. If the resulting word rolls off the tongue easily enough (unless you have bilingual players, pronounciation isn't too important), you have a fresh-sounding Quebecois character.

My favourite Canadian brick name is from the western prairie: Haymaker.

On a side note, this is great fun but why-oh-why do any teams not based in the US of A have such ethnic/national labels? In "retaliation", my world's GM character American team had: Eagle, Johnny Reb, Greenback, Da Wise Guy and the Big Apple

Good point on the sidenote, but I generally do 2-3 teams per country that i expect the PC's to interact with regularly. So I have one "Flag suit" team, and then 1-2 more "normal" ones, as yes, otherwise it's silly. ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things that I like about the way this team is shaping up, is that the "Canadianness" of it is more subtle than some other national teams that have appeared in comics or games. Of the names chosen so far - Mosaic, the Magus, Kodiac/Lynx, the Arrow, and Big Nickel - none leap out as being Canadian without some familiarity with the sources of the names.

That said, don't forget that DC Comics did come up with a government superteam called the Force of July: Major Victory, Lady Liberty, Silent Majority, Mayflower, and Sparkler.

You might take any of the suggestions that feel "marginal" and run them thru a English-French translator. If the resulting word rolls off the tongue easily enough (unless you have bilingual players' date=' pronounciation isn't too important), you have a fresh-sounding Quebecois character.[/quote']

Out of the character names chosen so far, the easiest to make a Quebecois would be Mosaic. That translates as la mosaique, pronounced almost the same as in English.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this, hopefully the figs will show up before the weekend and I can get to painting! After that, we'll make some sheets, and then hopefully, I can do a full reveal.

Team name: Canadian Shield

Mystic (Leader): Magus

HTH Expert/Tracker: Kodiak

Blaster (Fire): Hellfighter

Speedster: The Arrow

Stretchy Powers: Rebound

Power Armor Brick: Big Nickel

Wierd power sword lady: Mosaic

So, some side questions...if the speedster dropped "The" from her name, would there still be the same recognition? I'd think so what with that TV movie ya'll had and all, but I figured I'd check.

As for the costumes, I'm thinking about something similar to the Alpha Flight costumes from their later run of issues, Red and White, but with some of them displaying a half maple leaf a la Guardian/Weapon Alpha/Vindicator. The rest would have the leaf displayed somehwere on the uniform, more like a patch. (Which should make for some festive painting, let me tell you...)

I was going to stick to just Red and White to get a cohesive feel to the uniforms, but I was also going to mix it up a little bit on the individual suits. So like Arrow, she'd have a suit almost identical to Vindicator, Heather Hudson. But Mosaic, she've had a red cape with a white maple leaf and a white bodysock, with a red maple leaf. So different, but the same. Sorta...this might be easier to illustrate than describe. ;)

So' date=' some side questions...if the speedster dropped "The" from her name, would there still be the same recognition? I'd think so what with that TV movie ya'll had and all, but I figured I'd check.[/quote']

Debatable. Lots of people know about the Avro Arrow, but more people know what "arrows" in general are, and might not make the connection. "The Arrow" is a lot more identifiable. I was thinking that the name would be comparable to "The Flash"; a flash could be lots of different things, but The Flash is unique. In conversation with his peers, though, Flash is enough to identify him.

BTW, I like "Rebound" as the stretcher's name. It's a good hockey reference, too. ;)

EDIT: Just as a side note, you might want to check out the actual, original Big Nickel.

To tell you the truth, proditor, I'm finding the notion of a whole team with red and white costumes and maple leafs to be a bit, well, boring. I love the Canadian flag - it's simple, distinctive and striking - but for those reasons it's also hard to make a lot of variations on. I dig your notion of giving the whole group a team look, but I'm worried that it may come out kind of heavy handed if it's too uniform.

I'd really recommend mixing up the colors a little, or perhaps changing some of the symbols. For example, with a name like "Mosaic" that character ought to have more of a patchwork or geometric costume, and how could you have "the Arrow" without an arrow somewhere? Or heck, even the silhouette of a jet? While a sorceror just won't look very mystical in red and white IMHO.

Perhaps you could incorporate some of the colors or images from the Canadian provincial flags?

I know that I am stepping in late in the game, but I just found the thread.

I like the name Hellfighter, but that was also the official nickname of an all black American regiment in WW I. They also had a Jazz Band and first spread that music to Europe.

Skyfire could serve as his name as well. Sort of a sidelong Aurora refference. (And yes, I know he was a Transformer.)

It would be hard to paint, but I also like the idea of common maple leaf patches, but different costumes.

I also love the name Big Nickel.

Just my five cents worth.

• 3 weeks later...

To tell you the truth, proditor, I'm finding the notion of a whole team with red and white costumes and maple leafs to be a bit, well, boring. I love the Canadian flag - it's simple, distinctive and striking - but for those reasons it's also hard to make a lot of variations on. I dig your notion of giving the whole group a team look, but I'm worried that it may come out kind of heavy handed if it's too uniform.

I'd really recommend mixing up the colors a little, or perhaps changing some of the symbols. For example, with a name like "Mosaic" that character ought to have more of a patchwork or geometric costume, and how could you have "the Arrow" without an arrow somewhere? Or heck, even the silhouette of a jet? While a sorceror just won't look very mystical in red and white IMHO.

Perhaps you could incorporate some of the colors or images from the Canadian provincial flags?

You convinced me. Well, you and a lot of looking at Red and white maple leaves. ;) Okay, I still want a Canadian flag suit, so I think The Arrow gets the nod there. I like Mosiac having the Quebec provincial colors and the Fleur de lys always looks cool. :)

So now I have to decide what everyone else will be wearing...

I see lots of browns and tans in Kodiak's future, but I'm a little stumped for the rest. Okay, any more suggestions folks? :D

Okay, I still have to hit a few of you up with Rep, but Lord Liaden has gotten too much love from me recently, and on top of that, I just ran out for the next 24 hours. But thanks again, and I'll keep smiting out with the rep stick till I get ya'll. ;)

• 1 month later...

Another small update, Mosaic, the Magus and Big Nickel are mostly done!

BIG Props to hooligan_x for suggesting mountie colors for someone. :thumbup:

Also, while it was a nightmare to paint, the idea of making the characters costumes based off the provinces was genius. I love the look of Big Nickel. :D

So here are the "in progress" pics (sorry about the blurry, I'm still a lousy photographer) and a sneak peek at my massively in progress Clix team. ;)

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

prod, those are beautiful. I'm particularly grooving on Mosaic, although the others are also very cool. (Never would have thought of a "mystic Mountie," but it works.) I can't wait to see the rest of the team. :bounce:

You could place them all in Montreal, and the government would say:

Nous serons fiers d'annoncer sous peu, la plus nouvelle équipe superbe du Québec, Le Bouclier Canadien!

Team name: Bouclier Canadien

Blaster (Fire): Combattant D'Enfer

Speedster: De Flèche

Stretchy Powers: Rebond

Power Armor Brick: Nickel Grand

Wierd power sword lady: Mosaïque

oryan

You could place them all in Montreal, and the government would say:

Nous serons fiers d'annoncer sous peu, la plus nouvelle équipe superbe du Québec, Le Bouclier Canadien!

Team name: Bouclier Canadien

Blaster (Fire): Combattant D'Enfer

Speedster: De Flèche

Stretchy Powers: Rebond

Power Armor Brick: Nickel Grand

Wierd power sword lady: Mosaïque

oryan

Absolument indique. :thumbup: Even for a Canadian national team, this is undoubtedly how they'd be known in Quebec.

(But shouldn't that be "La Fleche?")

For your elasti-girl I think you might be better off with a name related to her shtick, that is, whatever it is that sets her apart from other generic stretchy people.

Personally I would make her with "water" powers and the ability to instantly freeze her fists for extra pummeling damage (and maybe other parts of herself for a Force Field with a DEX roll) and call her Ice Floe (or maybe just Floe)

If you call her that make sure she has an inquisitive niece DNPC who gets captured once a month or so. You know, so she can look forward to regular visits from Aunt Floe.

:sneaky:

Team's coming along nicely. I did the majority of painting on Kodiak today, and got down the base colors for Hellfighter. (Kodiak is in Saskatchewan's colors, Hellfighter in Alberta's.) And then it all came to a quick stop as I realized the main plant for Avro (makers of the original Arrow) are apparently in Ontario. But so is the Big Nickel, and I already painted him! :cry:

*Le Sigh*

So I'm rethinking The Arrow's costume again, and she may be the sole and true flagsuit of the group, wearing the maple Leaf a la Guardian/Vindicator/Weapon Alpha.

Oh, rebound is getting the Newfie colors and pattern (more or less). Should look neat, more pics once I quit sobbing uncontrollably. ;)

The Arrow belongs to all of Canada. The Canadian flag suit is fine for her. :thumbup:

BTW I should mention that the way you composed the three elements of the Ontario flag (red background, the Union Jack and the trillium shield) on Big Nickel was brilliant. I can't wait to see what you do with the others.

This may turn out to be the coolest Canadian national superhero team ever! :D

Oh' date=' rebound is getting the Newfie colors and pattern (more or less).[/quote']

'Bout time Newfoundland got a little respect. :)

Thanks a lot for all the kind words, it means a lot when I'm sitting there squinting at these suckers and thinking "Why did I start this again?" :doi:

I'm glad you dig them LL, and I am admittedly quite proud of the ole Big Nickel. :D

Small update: Okay, 6 down, 1 to go...this picture sucks even worse than the last, and just after I figured out how to get at least some clarity on the New Knights of the Round Table, my camera let me know I should download because I was almost out of juice. D'oh! So I'll try again, hopefully without the flash that washed out these two pics, and some filtered light, after I get some more AA batteries. Hopefully you can make out the Newfie Yellow/red pattern on Rebound's midriff. In the meantime:

Canadian Shield, almost there.

cs.jpg

And most of the New Knights. I just need to make a Ghurkha really. Left to right for them is Spitfire (I decided to put her in Spitfire camo, including national roundels), Stalwart, The Clansman, Silver Shadow.

rt.jpg