Laughing Gas?

GoldenAge

Re: Laughing Gas?

Well, in the past I've normally bulit it as an Entangle; target is effectively paralyzed with laughter until they can use their EGO to break free.

Laughing Gas
: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (105 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in high winds (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Limited Power Power blocked by Life Support: air supply (-1/4). Real Cost: 52 points

Adjust power level, focus, etc to taste. As you can see, it ain't cheap. I hadn't really thought about doing it as mind control, but off the top of my head:

Laughing Gas
: Mind Control 6d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Set Effect (Laughter; -1/2), Conditional Power Power does not work in high winds (-1/2), Limited Power Power blocked by Life Support: air supply (-1/4). Real Cost: 27 points

The advantage of this build is that you can base how immobilized the target is based off the level of control acheived. So unless you reach EGO + A Lot, the target may still be able to take some actions. Hmm...interesting thought.

For a more low-powered version, I like Blue's CE suggestion.

I could use some help.:confused:

How would you create Laughing Gas using Mind Control???

To answer your actual question, you buy it with the -1 limitation "Based on CON", and the -1/2 limitation (Set Effect), and NND with the defense being

not breathing. Probably also Area Effect. You might also want to buy it with

Cumulative to represent the way people on TV are functional at first (though laughing) and then become steadily more incapacitated (as you achieve higher levels of control). Do you want it to eventually kill if people continue to be exposed to it?

Thanks guys... so it should look like this:

(Note: This is a mutant power - no Focus)

5d6 Mind Control

Advantages:

AE: Tight Explosion (-3DC/inch = Home Rule) (+1/4)

NND (Defence = Life Support: air supply) (+1)

Cumulative to 2x (+3/4)

Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)

[88 Active Points]

Limitations:

Based on CON (-1)

Set Effect (Uncontrollable Laughter, CON+10) (-1/2)

Conditional Power Power does not work in high winds (-1/2)

Concentration (1/2 DCV) (-1/2)

Extra time (extra segment) (-1/4)

Limited range (3") (-1/2)

Total Real Cost = 20

This is for a superhero... so no killing.

Does this look okay?

I just can't say enough how much I hate these types of constructs. Mind Control? How does Mental Defence or having a strong sense of self (high EGO) help you stave off the effects of laughing gas?

How does Laughing Gas target that same sense of self? WHY would laughing gas give you Mental Awareness? WHY would laughing gas let someone else know where the attack came from?

You are trying to shoe horn a concept into a power that, while it may work in theory, is a very very poor base for what you are looking for.

As always, start at the effect and work your way backwards. What effect do you want the laughing gas to do?

A little giggling? xd6 Cosmetic (possibly Minor) Transform from Person to Giggler.

Loss of motor skills? xd6 DEX Drain.

Loss of combat ability? Change Environment -x OCV/-x DCV.

Total inability to act? ECV Entangle.

Falling back on Mind Control for concepts like this is just the same as devolving all powers into Transform. Instead of EB and RKAs just use a Major Transform from Living to Dead.

...A little giggling? xd6 Cosmetic (possibly Minor) Transform from Person to Giggler...

Wouldn't this just be the coolest effect ever? Give a PC the 'Compulsive Giggling' disad with total commitment...curing it could be your entire adventure if the wrong PC got it. Imagine Captain America or Professor X with this... :D

Or the Punisher... :rofl:

Wouldn't this just be the coolest effect ever? Give a PC the 'Compulsive Giggling' disad with total commitment...curing it could be your entire adventure if the wrong PC got it. Imagine Captain America or Professor X with this... :D

Or the Punisher... :rofl:

Seems to be something your avatar would come up with. (IIRC There was a Batman story from the late 70's or early 80's that had this for a theme, The Joker had used it on Bats but he out willed it, of course.)

I just can't say enough how much I hate these types of constructs. Mind Control? How does Mental Defence or having a strong sense of self (high EGO) help you stave off the effects of laughing gas?

How does Laughing Gas target that same sense of self? WHY would laughing gas give you Mental Awareness? WHY would laughing gas let someone else know where the attack came from?

It doesn't. Mental Defence and high EGO don't defend you from Mind Control based on CON, that doesn't give you Mental Awareness.