Ravenswood Academy Yearbook

Dr. Anomaly

Re: Ravenswood Academy Yearbook

Great stuff.

Would love to see the character write-ups, or even just a 'main powers' write up for each character.

Or even a Marvel style stat write up...

Physical: 1-10

Mental: 1-10

Training [Type]: 1-10

Power [Type]: 1-10

Hmm...interesting thought. Though considering they're all teenaged super-students, most of those stats wouldn't be too high. (And the real problem would be, "abstracted on what scale, or in relation to what baseline?")

Let me toss this out there...if anyone would like to help me write-up some of these (and grant that I'd get final editorial say-so on stuff) I'd be happy to have the help, and to list appropriate credit on the web page for the student in question.

Anyone interested?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible work, there, Doc. Great job!

As far as the "all supers look good" topic, one thing to consider for people promoting "average looking" supers is that the very lifestyle of a superhero is going to promote physical fitness,a nd physically fit people are more attractive. The only "overweight supers" in comics are those whose powers directly link to their shape. Matter Eater lad, Big Bertha (and her size is variable), and people like that. Characters like the Thing arent overweight, just differently structured.

Just something to keep in mind.

Sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water for me. My mentalist need not be the least bit physically fit to accomplish his goals. And suppose my EP character can teleport? He might grow a spare tire from inactivity. And I don't recall too many people saying how Lou Ferigno (sorry, I don't know his name's exact spelling) from the old Hulk tv show was handsome and he was very fit.

The reason why comic book characters, heroes really, are presented as goodlooking is the same reasoning why Barbie is built the way she is too.

Steve

Sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water for me. My mentalist need not be the least bit physically fit to accomplish his goals. And suppose my EP character can teleport? He might grow a spare tire from inactivity. And I don't recall too many people saying how Lou Ferigno (sorry, I don't know his name's exact spelling) from the old Hulk tv show was handsome and he was very fit.

The reason why comic book characters, heroes really, are presented as goodlooking is the same reasoning why Barbie is built the way she is too.

Steve

All a matter of taste, really, and how closely you want to follow the general genre conventions. :) Me, I prefer my heroes to be good-looking but don't all need to be drop-dead gorgeous, have bulging biceps or 38DDs. Other people prefer their heroes to look more like real people. In other words, the approach and style is a valid one, if it makes you happy with your game, whatever that approach or style choice happens to be, right? ;)

So, Dr. A., do you do any non-monumental projects any more? ;)

Even the faculty ... both traditional and non-traditional ... are stunningly good-looking, which as you've said before with regard to students, is a genre thing.

Hmm...interesting thought. Though considering they're all teenaged super-students, most of those stats wouldn't be too high. (And the real problem would be, "abstracted on what scale, or in relation to what baseline?")

Let me toss this out there...if anyone would like to help me write-up some of these (and grant that I'd get final editorial say-so on stuff) I'd be happy to have the help, and to list appropriate credit on the web page for the student in question.

Anyone interested?

Paint me interested.

email me @ kraig@radiokaos.com

Can't believe I missed this when you started the thread - that's some amazing work! Teen Champs isn't one of my favorite genres' date=' but still... [James Earl Jones Voice'] Impressive. Most impressive! [/James Earl Jones Voice]:hail:

Thanks, bigdamnhero! :) It was a lot of work -- and actually I ended up doing a lot more than I'd initially planned to do -- but it was worth it. Now I just need to get character sheets updated and posted (or in a lot of cases, created) for the non-traditional students. ;)

And I don't recall too many people saying how Lou Ferigno (sorry' date=' I don't know his name's exact spelling) from the old Hulk tv show was handsome and he was very fit.[/quote']

Yes, but remember that Ferrigno was 1) supposed to be a monster, and 2) only on-camera for 5-10 minutes per episode. The rest of the time it was pretty-boy Bill Bixby.

Overall, I'd say most of my campaigns resemble action movies & TV shows in that the main characters tend to be fit and attractive; those that aren't tend to be notable as exceptions. I try to keep the minor characters a little closer to reality.

Just a quick note to let you know that I've got the updated version of Echidna uploaded and linked in to the yearbook. ("Updated" because she first appeared in my "12 DCs" project as a 100-point sidekick; she's received a bit of a power boost to make her level with the other Betas at Ravenswood.)

So what's the starting points and other restrictions on character builds if one of us want to contribute a classmate?

These are my general guidelines:

Freshman (Delta): Got these under control. :)

Sophomores (Gamma): 230 points total (100 base, 100 Disads, 30 xp), Active Point Cap of 40-45 on any one power, characteristic, framework pool, etc. Most Skills should probably be 11- or 12- at max, though one focus skill for that student might be as high as 14- or 15-. Common Disads include

Social: Minor [under 16] (Freq, Minor)

Social: Secret Identity (Freq, Minor)

Watched: Student Mentor 8- (Mo Pow, PC is very easy to find, Watching)

Watched: Ravenswood Faculty and Staff 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC is easy to find, Watching)

Juniors (Beta): 260 points total (110 Base, 110 Disads, 40 xp), Active Point Cap of 50-55 on any one power, characteristic, framework pool, etc. Most Skills should probably be 12- or 13- at max, though one focus skill for that student might be as high as 15-. Common Disads include:

Social: Minor [under 18] (Occasionally, Minor)

Social: Student Mentor (Occasionally, Minor)

Watched: Ravenswood Faculty and Staff 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC is easy to find, Watching)

Seniors (Alpha): 300 points total (125 Base, 125 Disads, 50 xp), Active Point Cap of 60-70 on any one power, characteristic, framework pool, etc. Most Skills should probably be 13- at max, though one focus skill for that student might be as high as 15-. Common Disads include:

Social: Minor [under 18] (Occasionally, Minor)

Social: Student Mentor (Occasionally, Minor)

All students, regardless of grade, must also purchase

AK: Millennium City 8-

as a 1-point Familiarity (or they may buy it as the full skill if it's appropriate).

(See following post for how to handle Everyman Skills, since I do a bit of house-ruling on them.)

Again, those are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules.

For the non-traditional faculty that actually have powers (and most of them I listed don't, but I'm open to changing that if you have someone in particular in mind you'd like to have powers), start at 350 points with a 75 Active Point Cap and go up from there as would seem appropriate due to age, experience, and so on. Myself, I tend to concentrate a bit more on Skills and a bit less on Powers than many when doing my write-ups (though often that means I end up using a Multipower to be able to get what I see as the appropriate Powers for the character within the points I have left after Skills).

Some faculty (Wendy Kagohara, for example) have minor enough Powers they'd be less than 350 points, maybe as little as 200 -- what in Wild Cards terms would be almost Dueces, if you will.

Again, it's more "as seems appropriate" -- in other words, when you look at a picture or read a description and then get an idea, concept, or feeling of how a character should be.

Also, I reserve the right to reject, edit, etc. any write-up submitted. But even if I do a lot of re-working, you'll still get listed credit. :)