WWYCD: Unholy Matrimony...

Marcus Impudite

Click here for relevent infomation from a previous WWYCD thread.

The Winter Solstice is tonight. You hear from your usual sourse on the supernatural thatTerror'Khan, infamous Lord of the Shadow Wraiths, is going forward with a key part of his long tern plan to turn the entire universe into one vast realm of absolute darkness. It turns out the reason he save the would-be virgin sacrifice, Amanda, from the Doom cultists was because he plans to perform a ceremony that will transform her into the Shadow Queen, a female Shadow Wraith possessing dark power second only to her husband. According to ancient prophecies, the combined dark mystical might of the Shadow Lord and the Shadow Queen would be more than enough to crush the strongest opposition your campaign could possibly muster; be they good, evil, or indifferent (IOW, the universe is in deep **** if Khan pulls this off).

To make Amanda his Shadow Queen, His Evilness must wed her in an elaborate ceremony at midnight during the Solstice and infuse her with a portion of his dark essense via kiss at the conclussion. If the Shadow Lord and his new Shadow Queen are then allowed to consumate their relationship, the transformation will be irreversable short of destroying Terror'Khan himself (easier said than done). If the ceremony is disrupted, Khan will have to wait a full century to try again (and obviously have to find another virgin bride).

The unholy marriage is to take place at a ruined church in a rundown part of the campaign city and Khan is going all out to make sure everything goes as planned. He will have thirteen of his most powerful Shadow Wraith lueitenants on hand to deal with any meddlers, and they are joined by a cadre of mystical villains who all owe the Shadow Lord favors. The Shadow Lord has also had his cultists set up some truely nasty mystical traps to prevent interlopers from getting into the chapel during the ceremony.

WWYCD?

Re: WWYCD: Unholy Matrimony...

Blackberry would hit the panicbutton, call up all the favors she's owed, then have some of her higher-powered friends lead a true knock-down drag-out assault to try to stop this Vile Scheme .

In the meantime, she'd try to sneak in a side or back way, and mess up the ritual, for which she'd have several plans:

1) A brave snatch-and-run where Blackberry tried to get Amanda away.

2) Various distracting spells, to disrupt the ceremony--Blackberry is short on brute force, but good at creativity, and a smoke bomb is a real downer at a wedding.

3) Desperate measures--if this happens to need to be done precisely at midnight, a pie-to-the-face at the right time should be sufficient to prevent the kiss from being timed properly...

Hmm... a little heavy handed. While I do applaud a villain who has the forethought to actually have strong defenses, it sounds a bit unreasonable to have THAT much. Then again, I guess that's the point.

If Lady Silver hears of this, ESPECIALLY if she's archmage, it's time to start grabbing allies fast. Between her old team, the Silver Knights (the world's JLA/Avengers), her current team (a lower powered group around 350 pts each who ware mystically based), and whatever mystics she can muster (like Caliburn and Vadeleur (the two have a special relationship and end of the world stuff could move him to act) they should have enough firepower for a smash and grab of the bride especially if the bulk of the force is a distraction while someone else ports in. If wards are in place to protect from a quick 'port, she would rely on Speed Demon to zip the bride away posthaste to where she could then teleport to a hidden location.

As noted, this is not a fight but a smash and grab- even the two teams combined are probably not going to match up against such (over) powerful foes. Instead it's to get the bride away (and get that panic button away) an try to talk some sense to her. Either she doesn't realize that she's under control or she's insane since I don't care HOW much in love you think you are: you're not going to be transformed into a souless demon to get married.

Regardless though, the bride would be held very securely= the heroes might not like it but given the alternative, denying something their marriage for a day is okay by them. The municipal court will be open tommorow for a civil and non mystical marriage- if it's love, the couple shouldn't care.

;)

I'm not understanding' date=' from our character's point of view, what has changed since the last time they spoke to Amanda? Just gaining knowledge of what [i']could[/i] happen, or has Terror'Khan made explicit promises/threats?

You just found out from your usual source on stuff like this. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

This is the time at which I wish I played Silver Age Superman (or Supergirl) so I could say, "Fine! I can't handle magic, but I don't have to. I move the entire planet Earth past the equinox point just before Terror'Khan is about to do the kiss, thus screwing up the astrological calculations."

You just found out from your usual source on stuff like this. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

In that case, show up with gifts and gently chide the happy couple for not inviting us. We knew all along that Terror'Khan was probably doing this to gain more power. The question is what he intends to do with it.

All my characters believe in the power of redemption, and will not participate in a preemptive strike against someone who helped save their butts the last time the going got tough. (They also live in a world with more than a few examples of Venerable Comic Book Cliche #16, "Any sufficently popular villian will reform and get their own title.")

If he becomes more difficult to take out after the wedding, AND he gives us a reason to take him out, so be it.

Get there a few days before and screw things up at the Church before anyone gets there. If everything must be precise, move the Altar slightly, change the furniture around, erase the pentagram and redraw it just a LITTLE off-center. Set a Flash of light spell holding magic Item hidden in the ceiling to go off at the crucial time. Unobtrusive Sabotage. (spell ?)

If all else fails, call in CLOWN.

Tao would counsel against allowing the ritual to continue. Its just too dangerous to allow a being like that access to more power.

Ivy would strongly suspect Amanda, if not being maniuplated magically, is being played for a fool and would try to convince her not to go threw with it, but if it was going to happen she wouldn't use force with more proof.

Eve would defer to the adults. :)

Some people aren't motived by naked ambition or selfishness.

Some people are though. Just because she was a victim/virgin sacrifice doesn't mean she was a good person. We don't exactly have a whole lot to go on regarding her character, but the "Amanda=bad" theory fits the available evidence without requiring extra stuff going on behind the scenes that characters haven't detected.

• 2 weeks later...