FH Ultimates

Chris Goodwin

I suspect that a lot of this kind of thing is intended to be covered by the "generic" Ultimate books, rather than making FH-specific ones. For example, warriors would be pretty well covered by The Ultimate Martial Artist and The Ultimate Brick. Mages and priests covered by The Ultimate Mystic and The Ultimate Mentalist. Rogues covered by The Ultimate Skill (and bits of the same books that cover warriors), etc.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

I suspect that a lot of this kind of thing is intended to be covered by the "generic" Ultimate books, rather than making FH-specific ones. For example, warriors would be pretty well covered by The Ultimate Martial Artist and The Ultimate Brick. Mages and priests covered by The Ultimate Mystic and The Ultimate Mentalist. Rogues covered by The Ultimate Skill (and bits of the same books that cover warriors), etc.

Most of the heretofore released Ultimate books are aimed at superheroes. The Ultimate Mystic is definitely aimed at Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate style superheroic wizards rather than Fantasy Hero wizards.

I just thought that seeing the Ultimate Fantasy Warrior, the Ultimate Fantasy Wizard, etc. would be pretty cool. :)

Originally posted by archer

I just thought that seeing the Ultimate Fantasy Warrior, the Ultimate Fantasy Wizard, etc. would be pretty cool. :)

At the very least I would think they would make cool Hero Plus books. I am not sure you could fill-up 128 printed book with nothing but "Fantasy Warrior" information (Package Deals would become as common as Prestige Classes) but with an e-book you can run from 32+ pages and never really have any problems with printing size issues.

I would not mind seeing a similar thing done with the Star Hero/Terran Empire as well.

Originally posted by archer

Most of the heretofore released Ultimate books are aimed at superheroes. The Ultimate Mystic is definitely aimed at Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate style superheroic wizards rather than Fantasy Hero wizards.

Actually, The Ultimate Mystic has never been published. The earlier version was called (accurately) The Ultimate Super-Mage. I believe Steve has indicated that when it's redone, part of the reason for retooling it and renaming it The Ultimate Mystic is to make it more applicable to non-super spellcasters. :)

The Ultimate Mystic is definitely aimed at Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate style superheroic wizards rather than Fantasy Hero wizards.

That's incorrect. One of the specs for The Ultimate Mystic is to make it an actual Ultimate book that applies to multiple genres. USM is really just "Mystic Masters II," and while I want to do a book like that, it's not going to be an Ultimate book. The change of name alone betokens a change of focus.

Sure, some Ultimate books tend to apply the most to superheroes -- Brick and Speedster, for example, since neither concept requires much additional explanation or rules until you've got a lot of STR or velocity, and that occurs most often in Champions. Similarly, I'm sure The Ultimate Mystic will have a lot of superhero-centric material. But all Ultimate books make some effort to apply in multiple genres, since they're really about rules, not "character classes."

Originally posted by Enforcer84

I thouht you were going to make FH versions of the Ultimates... *sigh*

Yeah, I thought that, too. Might be fun to do up a variant for alternate history/alternate universe/time trouble adventures. Probably more appropriate to the Champions forum, though.

True,

somewhere I made an alternate version of the Ultimates, using their names and giving them a more mystical bent. Their leader was a summoner (Binder, get it?) it was pretty cool, maybe I still have them somewhere. If I find them I will post them to the champions board.