The thing's I've learned playing a Brick...

Bloodstone

Re: The thing's I've learned playing a Brick...

1" of Stretching goes a long way' date=' especially as it's inherently indirect. This let's you pound almost any grounded opponent from above, putting all the knockback into a very immovable object.[/b']:eg: (Just don't try this on the 12th story of a building that's having enough trouble coping with you fight as it is. All that KB and Falling damage get's doled out in "dribs and drabs.":thumbdown)

Great Mechanic...What would it look like (SFX?)

A Brick with Flight IS the team vehicle.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Mechanic...What would it look like (SFX?)

Doctor Octopus isn't strong enough to be a true brick, but having a tentacle of his come down from above and slam spidey into the ground would be the image I'm getting.

In any case, I thought Stretching was Indirect by default.

Damage Reduction is your friend. Possibly your best friend, but at the very least a friend you would enjoy hanging out with and getting some ice cream with.*

*assuming said friend isn't lactose intolerant.

Bricks aren't just strong... "Invulnerable" can (and probably should) be defined with multiple (and redundant) game mechanics.

I'm a big fan of the "stand unharmed at the heart of a star" (thank you Enforcer84 for the "Hero A Day" thread... first time I saw that use of Desolidification). Also damage reduction, resistant (preferably hardened, preferably multiple times) defenses, power defense, etc.

As much as you can shoehorn into the campaign limits is just about always a good idea. For some reason the GM just always seems to love beating on the team brick... prepare for that eventuality accordingly. :D

(I also like the invisible force field example - I think it's from USPD... very handy for those NNDs vs. force field/wall that seem to crop up.)

Superleap usable as an attack on others (conditional say on grabbing first) with a lot of levels of extra distance can help you clean up a battlefield nice and quickly!

Wet blanket time, and I'm sorry about it, because I like the idea too:

I believe this construct is illegal for two reasons:

1) It duplicates the effect of an existing power (Telekinesis), which by the book is illegal.

2) Most GMs could/should/would bar this, because it begs to be abused:

Megascale Superleap, usable as an attack?

:eek:

Footnote: I have considered Megascaled Superleap, usable as an attack, with a whole slew of Limitations on it, to represent "throwing stuff into the sun" and other feats of Mega-Strength. In cases like that, I can just vaguely see an argument for allowing it; but on the whole, it still seems WAY too cheap for what you get.

Megascale on Strength though, that seems pretty reasonable (if you add certain Limitations) to represent people who can throw things superfar...

Reduced END on STR is a very good thing.

But LOTS of REC is better.

Assault's original version had 60 STR, 4 SPD, 66 END and 24 REC. He never had any problems with END, for some reason. Come to think of it, he seldom had problems with STUN...

1) It duplicates the effect of an existing power (Telekinesis), which by the book is illegal.

Definitely with you on point 2, but I'm not sure I see how this duplicates the effect of TK - particularly with the "grab required" conditional on it. Buying Ranged for your STR, now THAT duplicates TK. Leap UAA wouldn't be ranged. And, there are plenty of published examples of characters who use movement powers UAA to represent their ability to move heavier characters w/out being bothered by the STR/ Throwing chart (Gravitar, for example - Flight, UAA.)

That said, It's definitely potentially exploitable and would need a big STOP sign on it. :thumbup:

Never played a true brick myself (at least not as a player) but from what I've observed from the bricks on my team...

Resist Knockback - The Anti-Speedster.

A Brick (perhaps named White Dwarf) with 50 points of Shrinking (not always on) + 60 STR + a nice and tall bad guy jutting his chin out = A growth attack (perhaps with surprise) totaling22D6!!!

Wanna get really evil... Give a 50 STR Brick a device that gives him 50 points of Shrinking AND 50 points of Growth. Now find a villain soaring at the appropriate height and switch from your smallest size to your largest.

Total attack damage = POW! 30D6

STR Damage (10D6) + Shrinking acceleration (10D6) + Growth acceleration (10D6) = OUCH!!!!!!!

[Definitely a Stop Sign maneuver]

Originally Posted by Marketeer

Such a shame though... you can just imagine Mr Muscle battling the VIPER agents in Trafalgar Square (London) and casually hurling them in the direction of Paris... and them actually landing there!!! :D

Open to abuse... wellllll... maybe just a little!

If you keep lifting heavier and heavier things to bat your enemies away with (you know, airplanes, skyscrapers etc) there's going to be a point where your GM says "erm, on picking that up, you've just sunk kneedeep into the road... if you don't put it down pronto you're going to keep going until all anyone can see is a hand sticking out of a person-depth hole..."

Hm?

A 100 ton character leaping through a crowded city, say 32" per leap. As a GM, even in a four color campaign, I'd almost certainly have that character falling through the streets and into the sewers with every jump. ;)

The crushing rules in The Ultimate Brick are also interesting when applied to characters with Density Increase and Growth. In campaigns where those rules are in play, very heavy characters may spend many adventures hanging out in sub-basements.

Reduced END on STR is a very good thing

But LOTS of REC is better.

Assault's original version had 60 STR, 4 SPD, 66 END and 24 REC. He never had any problems with END, for some reason. Come to think of it, he seldom had problems with STUN...

Having Reduced END on STR and a LOT of REC is a surefire way of exceeding campaign DC limits by two.

My last brick had his strength as high as the GM would allow, with ½END purchased on it. When combined with the 20 REC and 60 END, this meant that I could afford to push my strength on attacks against reduced DCV opponents, and barely get half-way through my END before the battle way over.

My last brick had his strength as high as the GM would allow' date=' with ½END purchased on it. When combined with the 20 REC and 60 END, this meant that I could afford to push my strength on attacks against reduced DCV opponents, and barely get half-way through my END before the battle way over.[/quote']

Sounds like you're Pushing your Luck.

Before trying out your "PD that's high enough to survive falling from orbit" and leaping off the International Space Station, don't forget to check that your ED's high enough for all that pesky heat from re-entry friction on the way back in! :D