Anyone wanna suggest a build for GPS?

Enforcer84

Re: Anyone wanna suggest a build for GPS?

BTW, a GPS is only accurate to within a few metres at best, and won't function at all in built-up urban areas (meaning a business district with numerous multi-storey buildings close together) or indoors. It also won't tell you where you are, per se. It just gives a co-ordinate, and if you give it another co-ordinate to compare with the first, will tell you which direction to go to get from A to B. So I'd say "Bump of Direction" (with Limitations about being outdoors and away from structures) with an added special effect you know the range to your destination too. And your rough height above sea level.

Of course, GPS tech is evolving all the time, I might be working with old tech, new tech might be able to perform better. And comic book tech is always one step ahead anyway.

Well, what exactly does his GPS do? Is it standard GPS, like you'll find in your OnStar or TomTom system (or a fishing navigator), or are we talking about 'super GPS,' like that used by Rev Runner in Loonatics Unleashed, capable of locating not only himself but objects around him accurately enough to target them in battle?

If it's the former, I agree with the Perk: GPS, 3 pts approach for a modern-scale one. If you want to be more complicated/accurate, then Absolute Range Sense, Bump of Direction, and bonuses to the Navigation skill.

If it's the latter, then I'd suggest all of the above, plus Spatial Awareness.

I have a Garmin GPS/GMRS unit it cost me $149.00 and does the following (granted these are seperate abilities but they are integrated);

1) Location (long/Lat) to within 3 feet. (works welll even in downtown Salt Lake City and San Fransisco, the only cities with tall buildings I have used it in).

2) Compass direction (with built in correction for true north)

3) Altimeter

4) Stores up to 500 way points with loadable maps (can either road maps, area maps, or topo maps)

5) Shows direction and speed of travel plus time to destinatoin at current speed.

6) Has a trasnmit range on the radio of up to 12 miles (I have had problems at distances of less then a mile and have also talked using "skip" at a rang of about 27 miles).

7) Has a recharger unit for the NiMH batteries.

My point of all this is that this level of complexity in a device is readliy available to everyone, but IMHO should either cost more than a perk or be bought using money/equipment allocation rules.

I have a Garmin GPS/GMRS unit it cost me $149.00 and does the following (granted these are seperate abilities but they are integrated);

1) Location (long/Lat) to within 3 feet. (works welll even in downtown Salt Lake City and San Fransisco, the only cities with tall buildings I have used it in).

2) Compass direction (with built in correction for true north)

3) Altimeter

4) Stores up to 500 way points with loadable maps (can either road maps, area maps, or topo maps)

5) Shows direction and speed of travel plus time to destinatoin at current speed.

6) Has a trasnmit range on the radio of up to 12 miles (I have had problems at distances of less then a mile and have also talked using "skip" at a rang of about 27 miles).

7) Has a recharger unit for the NiMH batteries.

My point of all this is that this level of complexity in a device is readliy available to everyone, but IMHO should either cost more than a perk or be bought using money/equipment allocation rules.

Well, I would say you can go get a GPS from the store that does all that with Money no problem - but it subject to GM Caveat whether or not it works in all places, gets crushed in combat or the battery dies on you when you're least expecting it.

Buy all those powers with points and you can pretty much garauntee that everything works all the time, without exception. Only very very rarely will they fail you.

It's why we buy AK: Campaign City and not say we've got a 7-11 Road Map. Sure, the Road Map can help us with bonuses, but if that's all you have don't expect to find much in the city...

Location (long/Lat) to within 3 feet. (works welll even in downtown Salt Lake City and San Fransisco' date=' the only cities with tall buildings I have used it in).[/quote']Which suggests I am working with older tech (which surprises me not one bit). I am working on a system for Asset Management which is being integrated with a GIS system to give a spatial representation of major assets. When I suggested I could test the Remote Capture function by walking down the street and capturing all the objects I found, I was told that our GPS didn't work in the city - even going to one of the open squares we have within the city would be marginal. I've also been told one of the issues with our GPS is it is only accurate within 5 metres.

Perk or Talent: 3pts as Log suggested.

If you really really need a stat-

Detect: Longitude & Latitude (3pts)

As that is all basic GPS is designed to do.

Considering how most talents have been constructed now, I like this option very much, and it looks like it covers power #1 of Starwolf's list.

Considering how most talents have been constructed now' date=' I like this option very much, and it looks like it covers power #1 of Starwolf's list.[/quote']

Indeed, it fits into the Talent List quite nicely. And really that's all a GPS is. All that other stuff on the list is added items to make the GPS data meaningful.

You really should have; Area Map: AK - Local Area. along with your GPS Power.

It's a lot like the other Talents... Bump Of Direction gives you magnetic north, but nothing very useful otherwise unless you already know you need to head east or some such.

Which suggests I am working with older tech (which surprises me not one bit). I am working on a system for Asset Management which is being integrated with a GIS system to give a spatial representation of major assets. When I suggested I could test the Remote Capture function by walking down the street and capturing all the objects I found' date=' I was told that our GPS didn't work in the city - even going to one of the open squares we have within the city would be marginal. I've also been told one of the issues with our GPS is it is only accurate within 5 metres.[/quote']

There was a time when 5 meters was in fact a limitation. It was imposed on all civilian GPS devices by the US Government. Only military hardware was accurate to within 3 feet, this was called "Selective Availability". Then on May 2, 2000 President Bush removed selective availability allowing manufacturers of civilain devices to produce the more accurate devices.