How do I build THIS?

palaskar

Ok, I've tried posting this twice, and both times nothing happened. Let me try again.

The power is:

The character has a number of discs. The discs can stick to most flat surfaces with a Post-It like adhesive, or can simply be placed. When triggered, the discs "unpack" the energy inside them and project a foot-wide sphere of energy. The spheres have multiple functions, including, so far: laser, crude TK (no fine manipulation), illumination of the surrounding area, a cone-shaped EMP burst, and a cone-shaped flash attack. The spheres are controlled psionically by an AI in the character's helmet, but they all function at once, and can be told to attack targets, avoid targets, etc. as the AI commands, and senses through a network of small cameras placed in the character's armor allowing for 306-degree vision.

Is there anyway to make this power without it, being well, "stop sign?"

Re: How do I build THIS?

It looks fairly simple.

Its an MP with Foci, Charges, Trigger.

OH! Even better. Build them as vehicles. That would give them movement. Thats even better.

Build the power as Summon: Discy Thing.

Build the Discy Things as Vehicles with Computer AIs. Stack the attacks on the vehicle. Add sensors, some movement etc.

Don't forget a Mind Link to the character and to the discs for control.

To repeat my reply to one of those earlier threads: I for one could use a few more details about what these discs do before I make any game-mechanical suggestions. For example, are the discs static once they're set up (perform one function until shut off), or can they change their activities from Phase to Phase? Do they function independently of Doc Vision, i.e. once instructed do they attack on their own, choosing targets or otherwise reacting to changing circumstances? Or does Doc control them directly himself, making them function on his own Phases?

Oddly enough I was just working on a character with a very similar power set, though based on self-motile spheres rather than discy things. What I did was decide they were simply an SFX and then put all the uses into a multipower.

The only catch was I ended up spending a lot of points making various powers indirect to allow it to come from the location of the sphere, rather than my character.

The discs aren't static, they can change their activites from Phase to Phase. They can function both independently AND be controlled by Doc, his choice. (This is part of why I had such a problem building this.)

If I were Doc, (and in a way, I am), I'd have to discs go automatic once I went unconscious. A nasty surprise for those mentalists. (Iron Man did it once it an Excalibur comic alternate universe.)

Palaskar

I'm think an EC (so you can easily use all your powers at once).

OIF (Because the discs can easily be replaced by the PC if the villian grabs or smashed one).

And Indirect.

That's the basic power right there.

Then either use Summon, or Uncontrolled or Persistent or Continuing in some fashion to make them last even if you are out. As GM, I might look a bit askance at this last power, most times when a character is out I want them out.

Since they function independently they need to be independent entities: Automatons or Summoned creatures, most likely. I would probably try to build them as a Summon (where the summon is defined as placing a disk; a placed but inactive disk is Summoned, just not doing anything). Then just build the disks with the powers you want.

Sounds like Automatons to me. You can have them either as Followers or as something you Summon.

To change what they do from phase to phase they would need (IMO) some kind of Intelligence, at least a computer.

Edit: Gah! Talon posted as I was writing. Oh well, great minds think alike!

Hmm... from what you describe, I'd suggest building these discs as Automatons and buying them as Followers for Doc, or else from a Summon Power for him. Give them enough INT to follow a few simple commands even when Doc is unconscious. Since the discs don't move once set you should probably buy back their Running, but perhaps purchase Clinging to represent their adhesive backing. You might also give them a Mind Link to Doc's helmet AI so that it can issue new commands to them.

After that it looks like just a matter of designing the abilities of the discs' energy spheres, probably as slots in a Multipower. If this doesn't match what you're going for, please post a followup with corrections and we'll try again. :)

Not Stop Sign, but it is Caution:

Build one disc as a Multopower Pool, with indirect so it can come from the 'placed' disc.

use the +5 Equipment Doubler Adder to have multiple discs.

or

Build the one Multipower, use Charges and talk with the GM to allow that each Charge is one disc, with full access to the Multipower.

Hmm, OK. Summon seems the best option here.

BTW, what is "the +5 Equiment Doubler Adder" exactly? I suppose it doubles your amount of equiment, but doesn't change anything else? I'm still working with my mental copy of 4th Edition.