How do you make a paralyzing poison?

Demonsong

Are we talking paralyzing poisons in the real world or comics?

In comics they are almost always a one shot effect, in some rare cases a hero is able to resist long enough to perform some action. Mind Control would probably cover that with the poison only achieving a +10 or +20 effect.

As stated this is sans rulebooks so I'm probably completely off base.

A Spd drain would also be a way to do it. Though I would probably buy it to drain the average joe to zero in one shot.

Kid Chaos

You can do this best with a Drain, but the Char you drain should depend on special effect.

Too weak to move-Drain STR

Lack of motor control-Drain DEX

Both of these let the target use mental and some defensive powers.

Complete paralysis-Drain SPD

Having 3 PC drainers made me very handy with these rules in my old campaign.

Personally, I've always used Mental Illusions (based on CON, +30 mandatory effect, subject still able to percieve real world to a limited extent) as the defacto "stand there like a dork". Doesn't require the telepathic adder, and already has a mechanic for not being able to do anything in the real world.

Hmmm.....

XD6 Entangle, NND (defense is immunity to poison or protective gear), 1 Continuing Charge (specify duration)

?

Some GMs might require the "entangle takes no damage" advantage, while others would assume it was implicit in the SFX (and the fact that you paid for an NND).

YMMV

Originally posted by JmOz

NND Entangles ... yuck ... I would require for this F/X the take no damage and Does Body

I don't consider this abusive because there is more than one way to avoid within the definition of the NND, such as immunity to poison or a self-contained suit of some sort.

The delivery mechanism may also provide additional defenses, which is the case with those extremely nasty poisoness snake bites in the bestiary.

If its poison on a blowgun dart, for instance, a single point of resistant pd should be sufficient to negate the attack and would require the player to take the limitation: delivery mechanism must penetrate/do damage.

I don't think the "does body" is appropriate to the SFX (because the character isn't damaged by the poison, just held in place), but I agree a GM would be justified in requiring the player to pay for "takes no damage" (as I noted above).

The problem with not taking the body is that when you roll the entangle you use the body rolled for the body of the entangle thus with out it you have a 0 body entangle (At least that is my logic)

As for abusive, the reason why I say it is is this: With a normal NND the character will recover (Stun damage) in a short time

With Entangle the character with out the defense is out of it for a LONG while

Originally posted by JmOz

The problem with not taking the body is that when you roll the entangle you use the body rolled for the body of the entangle thus with out it you have a 0 body entangle (At least that is my logic)

As for abusive, the reason why I say it is is this: With a normal NND the character will recover (Stun damage) in a short time

With Entangle the character with out the defense is out of it for a LONG while

Interesting thoughts.

You could have the player not take the "takes no damage" advantage and use con as the breakout roll.

A trick from the ultimate mentalist: how about an Entangle based on ECV (+1) , Transparent to Physical Attacks (+¼), Works Against EGO, not BODY (+½) then toss in Mental Power Based on CON (-½). This might not hold your average brick for very long, but considering that a CON above 30 is rare, 6d6 of this type of Entangle can hold somebody still for a very long time. I'd suggest an additional Limitation to simulate how the effects wear off eventually.

Originally posted by D-Man

Interesting thoughts.

You could have the player not take the "takes no damage" advantage and use con as the breakout roll.

Remember takes no damage is not vs internal (IE the person trying to escape) but rather when someone is attacking from outside in

I think you are much better off forgetting about the strangely built entangles and drains, and instead buying Nd6 Major Transform, Target to Paralyzed Version of Target, Limited Target Group (Organic targets with relatively normal metabolism and without immunity to poison, -1/2), then buy the recovery down the charts for how fast they come out of the paralysis, possibly tack on that so long as the target can temporarily stave off paralysis by making succesively difficult Con rolls, and some stuff for the delivery method and you are set.