Lovecraft Stuff

Captain Emu

Re: Lovecraft Stuff

I should point out though - for Lovecraft, being a fan of the genre - the unknown is of primary importance.

Really you shouldn't use a monster that has been used before. It should be unknown to everyone. It defeats the whole purpose of horror if the PCs immediately know that to defeat the suddenly encountered monster, they have to do the following things...

If your group does get into the mood for a longer Cthulhu campaign, and are looking for something ready made, Masks of Nyarlathotep is fantastic! :)

Even if you don't run it per se, it's full of great atmosphere to get you thinking in that Lovecraft/Cthulhu way! :thumbup:

When I was a member of the legenrady Alarums & Excursions APA, game reports from the Cthulhupunk campaign were regular highlights.

It was one of those take the Mythos, add pop culutre elements, and put them in a blender campaigns. One of the PCs was Peter Venkman. And the group ran into the Mythos Big Bads on a regular basis.

GM: Cthulhu rises from the swamp.

Peter: Hi.

It was very much a pulp campaign. (And had nothing to do with the GURPS 3E book, which depicted a world so decayed that its total destruction would actually be an improvement.)

Thanks for reminding me that he had those posted. It just reminded me of an old Cthulhu campaign I put together involving a Gnoph-Keh, an ancient horror trapped in a lost valley, and the Yukon Gold rush. I should throw together a thread in the pulp forum.

Thanks for reminding me that he had those posted. It just reminded me of an old Cthulhu campaign I put together involving a Gnoph-Keh' date=' an ancient horror trapped in a lost valley, and the Yukon Gold rush. I should throw together a thread in the pulp forum.[/quote']

I need to get back to posting those. I have a bunch partially converted too.

Thanks for reminding me that he had those posted. It just reminded me of an old Cthulhu campaign I put together involving a Gnoph-Keh' date=' an ancient horror trapped in a lost valley, and the Yukon Gold rush. I should throw together a thread in the pulp forum.[/quote']

I need to get back to posting those. I have a bunch partially converted too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an idea for something "Mythos-esque" that came to me at work. It's just sort of a seed. What I will do with ito, or what other might do with it, I am not sure. But sometimes the idle prattlings of a bored mind are worth a sniff.

Let me know what you think.

The Tree of Ilthuaqua

In ancient times before the coming of Christianity and the lightening of the dark places things were given power. Places, objects, even natural phenomenon were all granted divinity. In some places, this was more prevalent than others. At Delphi it was a cavern. In Ancient Britain, it was the groves of the Druids. Even farther back it was the caves of Lascaux. These places were granted divinity by men, who believed correctly or otherwise, in the power of such places. Other places, however, had a divinity granted by no other than their own.

Such a place was Ilthuaqua and the tree that grew there. Huge and dark, damp with the drippings of its primordial sap. Feasting on soil rich with the carnage of ages of sacrifice its stench was at once repelling and luxuriant in its richness – sickly sweet like honeysuckle growing over and open grave. All along its height, creepers, alive with their own movements seem to slither about with purpose, festooned with blossoms pale as ghost shrouds.

In the center of the trunk of this monstrous growth was a gaping hollow, like the maw of some nightmare beast, pitch dark and seeming to absorb all light. Looking into this void was to look into time itself, the sense of ages of wisdom, coalescing in its innards. Those that have looked upon this chasm of time are never the same, gibbering in strange words, faces twisted in an expression of ultimate fear and all knowing.

This sylvan scion, this pinnacle of life’s eternal struggle to thrive against all odds, was now, by merit of its own success and majesty over all other things in the forest. It was a god in its own rite and it demanded every bit of attention and sacrifice as any other god. The natives called it simply, “The Tree of Ilthuaqua†and claimed that through it, they were granted power over the other tribes who they have enslaved to their will.

It was these people, the Ithuaquxti who dominated the hidden valley of Ilthuaqua and created the now empty temples that now loom in ruin of that tangled and fetid place. Thee blood of innocents poured into the maw of The Tree and from The Tree they were granted what was supposed to be an eternity. But as is the ways of things ancient and evil, eternity often takes a different meaning to them than to those mortals who fall to their sway.