Grab and Shoot manuver?

How many times in cinema have you seen a hero, superheroic or otherwise, grab a villains arm and then fire their gun at a second target? Moreover, how many times have people been fighting over a gun or a knife until someone gets the upper hand?I was pondering a mechanic for some kind of maneuver specifically for this, and just figured I'd throw it out to HEROdom in general.In my mind, the key points were 1) It's a very difficult maneuver to use, much less accurately, and 2) It's a more difficult action against stronger opponents

When a grab is successfully made on one or more limbs that hold a universal focus that the grabber can activate, instead of opting to Throw or Squeeze, can opt to attempt to use the focus still in the target's hand. The two make opposed STR rolls (As if breaking out of a grab) If the grabber succeeds, he can target the focus's effects on a target of his choice, at -3 OCV. If the target is the person holding the focus, they get an additional 2d6 on their STR roll, to reflect the difficulty of turning the gun all the way around. Because of the awkward posture, Martial Arts and most CSLs can't be used with this maneuver. The only allowed CSLs are 5 point HtH levels if the focus is HtH as well, 8 point CSLs, Overall levels, and PSL bought specifically toward this maneuver.

I kind of wanted to include some mechanism where the OCV got worse as the strength disparity increased, but I figured making one extra roll was already enough. Comments? Feedback? Does something better already exist?

Re: Grab and Shoot manuver?

I just ignore the rule about not mixing HTH and Ranged attacks in a Sweep/Rapid Fire. However, I do require that you have CSLs/Skills (e.g. Rapid Attack) for both to get such bonuses (e.g. to get a +1 OCV or DCV with the embedded maneuvers you have to use either a CSL that can apply to either Sweep or Rapid Fire--or both weapons--or you have to combine a CSL that works with Sweep with a CSL that works with Rapid Fire--on a two-for-one basis, that is).

I kind of wanted to include some mechanism where the OCV got worse as the strength disparity increased' date=' but I figured making one extra roll was already enough. [/quote']

You could do it on the basis of the difference +/- 1 per 5STR differential or you could simply take the difference in the STR rolls - if the grabber makes his roll by 4 and the grabbed makes it by 2 then the OCV penalty could be reduced by 2, on a point by point basis, or by 1 on a point per two points.

Personally I'd reduce the penalty by one if the roll differential was three greater and an additional one for every three over that. That would keep the manouevre as something special.

If the attacker did not succeed in the STR roll I would consider wild firing - so that the shot goes off in a random direction with a fixed OCV of half the grabber...got to have some element that makes the attacker think about using it appropriately.

Doc

Well, you could just look up "Grab and Redirect" in the Ultimate Martial Artist.

My character used that not long ago when fighting robots with laser rifles. I got tired of my sword being ineffective, found out grabbing a rifle didn't work (they only fired if being held by a robot) so I just did the "Grab and Redirect" to make one shoot the other, while using the grabbed one as cover.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary still can't believe they'd let Ultimate Martial Artist go out of print.

If the attacker did not succeed in the STR roll I would consider wild firing - so that the shot goes off in a random direction with a fixed OCV of half the grabber...got to have some element that makes the attacker think about using it appropriately.

The only reason I didn't do something like that this is because I felt an outright failure condition was consistent and pretty detering- you could have at least squeezed for free damage, but now you're left just grabbing. Likewise, Jimmy the Speedy Midget runs up and jogs the arm of Bob the Shotgun-holding Brick, and all of a suddent Bob has a chance of shooting at his teammate's back? It's consistent with a wrestle for a weapon, no doubt, and I suppose Casual Strength on the grab itself provides a certain sanity cutout. I was also thinking about about the number of rolls involved in one maneuver.

Well' date=' you could just look up "Grab and Redirect" in the Ultimate Martial Artist. [/quote']

Exactly what I was thinking of. I don't know if it's also the Combat Handbook, but if not it should be (as should all of the optional maneuvers/options found in the UMA, Fantasy Hero and other sourcebooks).

For my campaigns I created a custom Skill called "Mixed Attack" that allows the mixing of Ranged and HtH attacks with Sweep/Rapid Fire and/or Multiple Power Attacks.

This character has it:

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/MillennialMen_Wrath.shtml

(click Character Sheet; its under Skills)

Exactly what I was thinking of. I don't know if it's also the Combat Handbook' date=' but if not it should be (as should all of the optional maneuvers/options found in the UMA, Fantasy Hero and other sourcebooks).[/quote']

Combat Handbook pp62-68 covers the Grab Manuveur. given it's 6 pages and working from memory I believe that it is indeed recovered in the CH.