Post Apocalyptic Genre

ShadowRaptor

Steve, I asked about this at rpg.net also, but I was wondering if you could be so kind to write a Genre book for creating a good Post Apocalyptic world also. I think there is a large enough of a market for a book like this, aimed specifically at fans like me that love games like this. I know that Darwins World has been out, and Gamma World is coming out, but those are for d20 and I would like to see a official HERO genre book for this setting.

You should put some other books on the back burner, like Ultimate Brick...who needs a full sourcebook on playing a Brick...or Ultimate Energy Blaster...If UNTIL superpowers database doesn't quench the thirst enough than I don't know what will.

I know I"m a minority, but I think you would make a killing by writing a good book on this Genre, which has a lot of potential in the next year or so.

At least think about it. You guys are the greatest of the greats, but this would put you way over the top.

I imagine that Star Hero is probably the lone SciFi contribution from Hero. But I know I'd love to see something gammaworld/aftermath style.

I wonder how much it costs to license the hero system.... Well, maybe in my more ambitious or less employed days.

PA is one of my favorite genres but I can see why it is way down on the list. It really doesn't require much that is not in StarHERO or will be in Dark Champions except for a specific world one of which will not suffice, a Gamma world setting is not going to make a Twilight 2000 player happy, and neither would work for someone looking for a Fallout or Madmax setting. There are plenty of good PA games out there and HERO can convert most of them. d20 has a few books in the works, Morrow Project is still available. Aftermath and Twilight 2000 are readily available on ebay and there are several PA HERO sites on the internet.

I know the whole down the line and it may be years away...but by then the request for a good PA book will probably die down after Gamma World and Darwin's World 2nd edition and them are out for a couple years...

Plus, if you got Champions, why do we need a Dark Champions sub-genre book, or why do we need Terran Empire, Xeno Wars, Galactic Champions, when they are all so similar... I know there is something for everybody, and I commend the work they do, but what are the big Genre's...

Fantasy and Sci-fi. Smaller ones: Ninja, which would be smaller than a PA one I would think. Western, which also seems to be a smaller genre than PA. Cyber HERO I could see coming out first, but I think the time to take advantage of the surge of people clammering for a good PA book will be lost in three years.

You could always hire more writers for those of us who are really enthusiastic about the smaller sub-genres. :D We won't mind. Even if you hire us to write one book.

Dark Champions is more than just a sub genre of Champions, it is also going to be "Modern Hero" taking the place of the old Danger International, I would suspect that like StarHero it might have a small section discussing PA genre.

Terran Empire, Xeno wars etc are support material for StarHero, Hero is making an effort not to put out a genre book without support material, which is why they are generally putting out 2 genre books per year, I would guess this also helps when they have to cut stuff from a genre book because they can always stick good stuff they cut into one of the supporting books.

I believe Ninja Hero was practically done already so it was simple to produce, plus it could be seen as supporting material for the Ultimate Martial Artist. Western Hero, Cyber Hero etc are down the line quite a way so I don't think you can positively say they are ahead of a PA Hero but I'd guess Western is.

PA has been a popular niche genre since the early 1980's when Aftermath came out, I doubt interest for it will die off in the next 3 years.

Finally PA is an easy genre to do yourself. if you really can't wait http://home.attbi.com/~TheGM/SE/savage.html is supposed to be well done, its not my type of PA setting since its more Gamma World like but I know many here have had good comments about it and I think the webmaster frequents the Hero disscusion boards.

Originally posted by Toadmaster

Finally PA is an easy genre to do yourself. if you really can't wait http://home.attbi.com/~TheGM/SE/savage.html is supposed to be well done, its not my type of PA setting since its more Gamma World like but I know many here have had good comments about it and I think the webmaster frequents the Hero disscusion boards.

Thanks for the plug. :) Yes Savage Earth is more Gamma World than Aftermath. If you are looking for more PA type sites, you might also try Wasteland Hero, which I belive can be found in the links section. Lots of good stuff there.

Keith "Spreadin' the word" Curtis

Speaking of things post-apocalyptic, I recently had occasion

to check out the Abacus Dimensions website (the folks who

currently sell The Morrow Project and its support material),

and according to the news section of their MP page, there

is supposed to be a new adventure for the game coming out

soon called Fall Back!

Here's the Web address:

http://www.abacusdimensions.com

Space Cadet :cool:

Cool links. I won't argue to much with their decison making. I know Champions is a huge line, as will Fantasy HERO (which is the original reason why I got HERO in the first place) but I don't see a need for books like Ultimate Brick or Ultimate Energy Blaster (Ultimate Mystic I can understand because its a broader category and I think more people are confused by it than the other two). If the UNTIL powers book isn't enough to help a person create a character falling into one of these archtypes, well, that's on them...

What genre books are coming out in 2004? Just Dark Champions. A whole slew of books for Champions, Star HERO and Fantasy HERO, which I understand...but some I won't buy.

They should write the Genre books first, get them out, then support all of them with supplements. To say I have to wait 3 or 4 years for this book lowers my support with the company, and I'm going to be going to another company with my support.

Other than that, I think the stuff herogames is producing is amazing and I love the books already released.

Heck, I would even settle for a good written article in a Digital HERO magazine on how to run a good PA game, as long as that article is 20 pages or so, and the article could adapt things from the already released Genre books and tie them together in one spot. Now that would be pretty cool, and not to hard to write up.

PA is one of my favorite genres so I would love to see PA Hero but I also find it to be one of the easier genres to create, since it basically uses modern equipment and perhaps some lower tech sci fi equipment. Rules for aliens (StarHero), Supers (Champions) or Fantasy (FH) provide most of what you need to create mutants if you so desire.

However these why no PA Hero threds come up regularly, so what exactly are people looking for in a PA Hero genre book? (Specifics please, I just might get around to a website so ideas would be useful).

Until Hero produces a book, I would highly recommend finding a copy of Fantasy Games Unlimited's Aftermath, it is the best generic PA resource I've found. The rules are complex and kinda funky but it is full of useful material for building a PA world, includes many ways for TEOTWAWKI, building a world from during the end to 100 or more years after, mutants, radiation etc. I see it on ebay frequently, usually goes for less than $20.

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

Heck, I would even settle for a good written article in a Digital HERO magazine on how to run a good PA game, as long as that article is 20 pages or so, and the article could adapt things from the already released Genre books and tie them together in one spot. Now that would be pretty cool, and not to hard to write up.

Well, since you have such a passion for it and HERO is there for you to design your own world - what is preventing you from writing it up? I could write up a 20 page article just on "Heiro's Journey" alone.

One could write an entire sourcebook based on "The Empire of the East" by Fred Saberhagen (though there would be licensing issues even if you did it as a free give away. I know, I tried. :) )

Is it a question of work? You could definitely get results faster by just working on it a little each week than waiting for someone else to come out with something. Also, I don't care what anyone comes out with, at least with me, I always end up doing work to retailor it.

Mind you, I LOVE PA genre. As a kid I LOVED the original Gamma World. I ran D&D and my brother ran Gamma World. I've heard many tales from people who've played both Aftermath and Morrow Project. I think it's a great idea.

But if you are being held back by a simple 20 pages... my best advice is write them up yourself. Do you Want David Brin's "The Postman" or Brian Aldiss' "The Long Afternoon of Earth"? Both are on really different scales of imagination. One is practically a soap opera and the other is a mind trip that would make Hendrix raise an eye brow. Maybe you want some guidelines where people can pick an choose the level or realism.

What do you think? Am I off base?

Guest Dr.Unpossible

Indeed. Thats the joy of HERO. Building your own worlds and works with the HERO system. I'm one to talk though, with all these ideas in me head, and nothing on the web to really show for them.

I think the above Idea is great. Just do a lil bit each week. Post it up on a simple website. You'd be suprised how fast it builds up. Or be like me, and just jot down any and every gamming idea in a book. I have a several lil notebooks full of ideas for a dozen games and settings.

The worst crime of any gammer (and im a major offender) is to have a cool idea at work, while walking home, in the middle of the night, and not jot it down. Even in point form. I've lost a zillion great ideas that way. :mad:

P.S. Fanboy plug for Keiths Savage World and Wasteland HERO. Both are excellent Post Apoc sites. They have enough material alone to run a great PA HERO game. Let alone inspire you with many more ideas for your own PA setting.