Anybody out there playing Doctor Who Hero?

oryanfactor

Re: Anybody out there playing Doctor Who Hero?

Whereas Turlough, Peri and Tegan had no particular skills.

Mel was a computer programmer, but her screaming got to me.

Zoey had maths skills, and Ace blew stuff up and could hold her own in a fight.

For that matter, Mickey hand no particular skills either.

On a side note - how well did the series rate on the SciFi channel over there?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Info on US ratings for Doctor Who: (From Galifreyone.com)

Ratings for the broadcast of the first season finale on the Sci Fi Channel, The Parting of the Ways, in America are in: the telecast scored a 1.14 household rating with an average of 1.4 million viewers. According to Outpost Gallifrey's source at the Sci Fi Channel, the first full season of the series averaged a 1.26 household rating, with an average audience of 1.5 million views. (Some other statistics for the season: the audience was 63% male, with a median age of 46 years, and scored a 1.00 rating in men ages 18-49 and a 0.62 rating in men 18-34.)

Though the ratings for the broadcast of the first series seem to have been lower than expected, that now doesn't appear to be the case. As reported at the Sci Fi Channel's own news service, Sci Fi Wire, "the new updated Doctor Who boosted SCI FI Channel's ratings on Friday nights by double digits, the network reported. The new version of Doctor Who, produced by the BBC, wrapped its first season on SCI FI on June 9. Doctor Who averaged a 1.3 household rating and 1.5 million total viewers in its 9 p.m. Friday timeslot, a 44 percent increase in ratings and a 54 percent increase in viewership over the same timeslot in the second quarter last year. In key demographics, Doctor Who averaged 778,000 viewers aged 18-49, a 57 percent increase over 2005, and 942,000 viewers aged 25-54, a 56 percent increase." The Futon Critic, a respected source of industry and media news noted the "double-digit ratings growth this quarter on Fridays from 9pm to 10pm versus the time period last year," referring to the fact that Doctor Who was a broadcast original for the network in a time period (March to June) when it normally shows reruns. (Until this series broadcast, Sci Fi's original Friday night series -- Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica -- broadcast in two halves, July through September for the first half of each season, and then January to March for the second half.)

A note from me:

Keep in mind this is with the show running at 9pm on Fridays, a timeslot when most kids are in bed and most young adults are out on the town.

oryan

Let's face it: Peri's main role in the show was T&A, not that I objected, of course. :D Mel's screaming was annoying, but it was often better than hearing Peri whine. Since Susan (the Doctor's granddaughter) was also a screamer, I considered it a bit of a return to tradition. ;)

Yes, that is the only downside to certain concepts being games....

Who the heck wants to be "just a sidekick" ?

Take a page from Ars Magica, with its magi, companions and grogs. Everyone gets their turn at playing their own incarnation of a particular Time Lord, and the others play his resourceful or hapless, as you prefer, companions.

Take a page from Ars Magica' date=' with its magi, companions and grogs. Everyone gets their turn at playing their own incarnation of a particular Time Lord, and the others play his resourceful or hapless, as you prefer, companions.[/quote']

That's a great idea!

It even gives incentives for companions to lead their Time Lord into danger - the sooner he dies, the sooner the other players get to be him. ;)

That changes in the current series' date=' but he's arguably not a real companion so much as an occasional guest (or perhaps pest).[/quote']

I only got the Series 1 DVD set today, but my biggest impression of Mickey is that one could save a few points on his EGO and PRE scores. He did not cope well with pressure in "Rose."

Let's face it: Peri's main role in the show was T&A' date=' not that I objected, of course.[/quote']

I remember a satirical Doctor Who reference book called "The Totally Useless Doctor Who Encyclopedia", or something like that. One of the entries was

"Peri's T**s: Identical twin companions who accompanied the Sixth Doctor. The fact that they were attached to a young woman was generally ignored by the director and cameramen."

Guest daeudi_454

Let's just say Mickey becomes a man by 2x06, and important in 2x12,2x13.

And 2x13 is the buggiest throw-down in the history of Doctor Who.

It is something that has never happened before, but as been a huge fantasy for years.

An epic battle between epic forces, and the Doctor and friends are stuck in the middle.

Let's just say Mickey becomes a man by 2x06, and important in 2x12,2x13.

And 2x13 is the buggiest throw-down in the history of Doctor Who.

It is something that has never happened before, but as been a huge fantasy for years. An epic battle between epic forces, and the Doctor and friends are stuck in the middle.

I sat down and watched it last night. I can honestly say that was the classiest way I've seen someone leave the show. As for the Genesis Arc I thought they were going with "regeneration" more then what they did.

Do have to feel sorry for Yvonne though :(

I'd alway thought that a Doctor Who game would be the Bomb. I mean a game that has all of time and space to play with? How could you go wrong?

The problem that FASA and that other company (who did the one off book) had was they were too Doctor-centric. A Torchwood like game, the Cyber-Wars of 2201, simply surviving during the Dalek invasion of Earth - heck, a party of DK's would be fun (Go to http://www.dalek-killer.net/ if you have no clue what that is).

Once you get away from the Time Lord/Companion paradigm, there's a whole universe waiting to be tapped.

Aside from being probably the saddest Doctor Who story ever, Age of Ghosts/Doomsday was no doubt one of the best. Let's see how they top this one.

As for a DW game, what is really great about the DW concept is the TARDIS, which largely functions as a plot point, allowing the Doc and his companions to get into trouble easily and quickly enter into an almost infinite number of scenarios. (Somehow, its never as easy as hopping back in and leaving, is it?)

So, write yourself up a TARDIS-like device, hop inside, and you've got a "Who" type game.

I myself cooked up the idea of a concept of a mysterious character who lives in a cave or a temple which exists, well, nowhere actually, but which is connected to a gateway whch might lead anywhere or any time. Rather than the TARDIS as a physical object which exists within the frame of reality in which the characters are, the "travel" takes place because they go to it. One such example might be an old obscure cartoon called Mission: Magic where a school teacher, who was also a witch, would draw a "magic door" on her chalkboard and fly her students through it to other dimensions.

I read once, I think it was Making of Star Trek by Stehen Whitfield, that one essential element of any dramatic series is that the central characters may go anywhere or do anything, but have a place to hang their hats at the end of the day, wether that's the Batcave, the Enterprise, an old hotel or a police station. The question then becomes how you introduce them into the conflict at hand.

oryan

Here are my Bling Dalek and Lumic Cyberman builds

Bling Dalek:

Dalek

Player: 

Val	Char	Cost
55	STR	20
10	DEX	0
20	CON	20
20	BODY	20
43	INT	33
10	EGO	20
30	PRE	20
0	COM	-5

11/111	PD	0
9/44	ED	0
2	SPD	0
10	REC	0
200	END	80
0	STUN	-45

6"	RUN	0
2"	SWIM	0
11"	LEAP	0
Characteristics Cost: 163

Cost	Power
247	[DALEK BEAM]Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, Line Of Sight (+1/2), Armor Piercing (x4; +2), Penetrating (x4; +2) (495 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)
77	Tunneling 1" through 25 DEF material
15	Automaton (Cannot Be Stunned)
50	Density Increase (3,200 kg mass, +25 STR, +5 PD/ED, -5" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (50 Active Points)
10	No Hit Locations
12	High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group)
20	Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with Sight Group and Hearing Group
2	+1 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group
51	Life Support  (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)
90	Armor (50 PD/10 ED)
112	Force Field (50 PD/25 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (112 Active Points)
50	Mind Scan 10d6 (Machine class of minds)
21	Healing BODY 7d6, Can Heal Limbs (75 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (Requires both hands; -1), Self Only (-1/2), Lockout (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Conditional Power Power Only Works While Character Is Connected to a power source (-1/4)
35	Flight 10", No Turn Mode (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (35 Active Points)
-6	 (0 Active Points); Custom Modifier (Limited Fine Control; -1/4) applied to DEX
Powers Cost: 786

Cost	Talent
3	Absolute Range Sense
3	Absolute Time Sense
2	Environmental Movement (no penalties on)
14	Fearless
3	Lightning Calculator
12	Speed Reading (x100,000)
3	Lightsleep
10	Resistance (10 points)
Talents Cost: 50

Total Character Cost: 999

Pts.	Disadvantage
30	Vulnerability:  2 x BODY Called Shot To Eye Stalk (In addition to damage, treat as a 10d6 Darkness to Sight Group Effect if at least 1 Body gets through)  (Very Common)
15	Hunted:  The Doctor 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
5	Hunted:  Other Dalek Hunters 8- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
15	Distinctive Features:  Pepperpot (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
25	Psychological Limitation:  Obsession: Subjugate or Exterminate All Lesser Life Forms - All Non-Dalek Life Forms are Lesser (Very Common, Total)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Do Not Tolerate Blasphemy (Uncommon, Total)
20	Physical Limitation:  One Arm (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)
15	Physical Limitation:  Hasn't Got Any Legs (All the Time, Slightly Impairing)
25	Physical Limitation:  No Sense of Touch (All the Time, Fully Impairing)
25	Physical Limitation:  No Sense of Taste/Smell (All the Time, Fully Impairing)
25	Social Limitation:  Must Obey Higher Ranked Daleks (Bling Daleks < Black Daleks < Emporer)  (Very Frequently, Severe)
Disadvantage Points: 215
Base Points: 200
Experience Required: 584
Total Experience Available: 0
Experience Unspent: 0

Lumic Cyberman

Cybus Corporation Cyberman

Player: 

Val	Char	Cost
30	STR	20
10	DEX	0
30	CON	40
30	BODY	40
15	INT	5
0	EGO	0
20	PRE	10
10	COM	0

26	PD	0
6	ED	0
2	SPD	0
12	REC	0
60	END	0
0	STUN	-60

6"	RUN	0
2"	SWIM	0
6"	LEAP	0
Characteristics Cost: 55

Cost	Power
15	Automaton (Cannot Be Stunned)
30	Armor (20 PD/0 ED)
15	Does Not Bleed
45	Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (5d6 w/STR)
34	Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Beam (-1/4)
11	Life Support  (Eating: Character does not eat; Longevity: Immortal; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)
25	Mind Link , CyberLeader class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Any distance, No LOS Needed
65	Mind Link , Other Cybermen class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Any distance, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x256)
30	Telepathy 6d6 (Machine class of minds)
20	Mind Control 6d6 (Humans class of minds) (30 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Only Humans who have Lumic earPods (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 290

Cost	Skill
9	Analyze:  Agility Skills 15-
30	Computer Programming (Computer Networks, Hacking and Computer Security, Personal Computers, Artificial Intelligence, Mainframes and Supercomputers, Military Computers) 21-
11	Electronics 16-
11	Security Systems 16-
24	+3 with All Combat
Skills Cost: 85

Cost	Talent
3	Absolute Time Sense
5	Eidetic Memory
14	Fearless
Talents Cost: 22

Total Character Cost: 452

Pts.	Disadvantage
20	Susceptibility:  Having Emotions, 3d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)
10	Vulnerability:  Gold Dust Attacks (Common)
25	Social Limitation:  No Free Will (Very Frequently, Severe)
25	Hunted:  The Doctor 14- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
20	Distinctive Features:  Look Like A Giant Metal Man (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
Disadvantage Points: 100
Base Points: 200
Experience Required: 152
Total Experience Available: 0
Experience Unspent: 0

Daleks have a limited emotional range as well. Basically only negative emotions - hatred, anger, etc.

I'm also thinking that for the forcefield - it mainly stops ED. The PD is more akin to "desolid vs physical damage", which is implied in the Dalek episode. However the field isn't always effective. Called shots to the eye stalk can sometimes penetrate.

Also I'd give them Mind Control- Machine class of minds to represent their ability to hack any computer and Detect life, as they can sense humans behind doors and walls.

Also, the main gun should be beam - they can spread the attack or make it area effect.

Daleks have a limited emotional range as well. Basically only negative emotions - hatred, anger, etc.

I'm also thinking that for the forcefield - it mainly stops ED. The PD is more akin to "desolid vs physical damage", which is implied in the Dalek episode. However the field isn't always effective. Called shots to the eye stalk can sometimes penetrate.

Also I'd give them Mind Control- Machine class of minds to represent their ability to hack any computer and Detect life, as they can sense humans behind doors and walls.

Also, the main gun should be beam - they can spread the attack or make it area effect.

Probably right about Mind Control.

Guest daeudi_454

Don't forget Dalek Specailizations!

------------------------------

The ability shown in Doomsday should only be for the four Daleks of the Cult of Skaro (Telepathy, lotsa dice, sfx= HKA to target, no range).

The same goes for the black dalek's "Time shift" XD move.

------------------------------

I'd say that emergency time travel was a plot device rather than anything else, and wouldn't need statistics.

I like the continuity in this case of Rose destroying all Daleks in the universe - but the Ark was not in our universe. It appeals to the space operatic in me :)