Traveler Hero

JmOz

Re: Traveler Hero

as far as starships go, at the very least, you will see all the basic starships that traveller was well known for, and more, it wont be an entirely new system for ship construction, but a combination of the best of both, Traveller and Hero have some very different design philosophies on a couple of things, those who know traveller will know what I am talking about, and I've ranted enough on them previously.

once I get a couple of basic ships converted and updated, I will see if Polaris will let me post them as a teaser

probably the Free and Far Traders

as far as starships go, at the very least, you will see all the basic starships that traveller was well known for, and more, it wont be an entirely new system for ship construction, but a combination of the best of both, Traveller and Hero have some very different design philosophies on a couple of things, those who know traveller will know what I am talking about, and I've ranted enough on them previously.

once I get a couple of basic ships converted and updated, I will see if Polaris will let me post them as a teaser

probably the Free and Far Traders

Thanks, shadowcat1313. Those ships along with the Scout and the Yacht and you have a campaign starter.

How are you going to handle Character Creation? To me, that is one of the biggest devides between the systems. Is there going to be total freedom to buy any skills, talents, stats that you like or is it going to be composed of a lot of Package Deals or "careers" that a player has to pick to represent the traditional careers that Traveller had?

When I ran my own TravellerHero campaign a little while ago I let the players have free reign over their point spending but I found that it did not work aswell as I had hoped. Sometimes too much freedom is a problem as it takes away some of the feel of the source material.

How are you going to handle Character Creation? To me, that is one of the biggest devides between the systems. Is there going to be total freedom to buy any skills, talents, stats that you like or is it going to be composed of a lot of Package Deals or "careers" that a player has to pick to represent the traditional careers that Traveller had?

When I ran my own TravellerHero campaign a little while ago I let the players have free reign over their point spending but I found that it did not work aswell as I had hoped. Sometimes too much freedom is a problem as it takes away some of the feel of the source material.

I am involved in a new game, just starting up, based on Star Frontiers. Our GM has allowed us to use packages as a framework to give a sort of definition to the character, then any points left over we could spend free form, so long as it fit with the characters background/conception. From my perspective the only thing you have to beware of is munchkins, min/maxers, and GM's with an antagonistic demeanor towards players. I have experienced these both as a GM and as a player, and either one kind of ruins the fun. A good GM runs a fine line between referee and player opponent, but never forgets that the story and the fun are paramount, not coming up with encounters just to defeat the players... While I agree that sometimes the dragon wins, the players have to be the Heroes.

Are there any links to an introduction to Traveller universe? How about a summary/detailed product list/comparison of the Traveller product line(s)? I looked at Comstar's website and I couldn't figure out what is the first product that you would want to buy.

Also, after a little bit of web browsing it appears to me that licensed Traveller products have been produced by multiple companies over the years. For example, compare the Traveller product line listed on comstar-games.com with the products at travellerrpg.com. SJG has their own line Traveller products and their web links list a company called Judges Guild that also has produced some Traveller stuff.

Who owns the rights to the Traveller universe. Who produces the official products? What is(are) the main rule book(s)? Which products overlap with each other? What happens if different companies create supplements with conflicting information?

Confusion... :confused:

heres a good link for a lot of basic information

http://www.freelancetraveller.com/infocenter/faq.html

that should cover a lot of your questions better than I can

if you have anything more specific, go ahead and ask, if I dont know the answer, William Andersen from Com-Star frequents the Hero boards also, and there are other sources I can ask for definitive answers

• 2 weeks later...