Macroverse and Microverse?

Truthsayer

Re: Macroverse and Microverse?

Microverse: the world of the subatomic. Shrinking so small that you can no longer interact with the normal universe in a standard manner. This is the kind of stuff the Ray Palmer (the JLA's Atom) is all about.

Macroverse: pretty much the opposite of the Microverse, so you are Friggin HUGE!

Both of these are detailed in the Ultimate Metamorph.

• 3 months later...

*performs thread necromancy ritual*

"Rise! Rise from your grave!"

So I was checking out some of the powers in the Ultimate Metamorph ( a wealth of ideas beyond big/little powers) and something occurred to me -

The Microcombat (on page 156) and the Internal Agony attacks on 155, well they seem kind of unbalancing. What's to keep a shrunken character from setting up shop inside someone's brain and spend all day blasting away? How does the target return fire (putting aside the problems of hitting something with that kind of DCV bonus). Doesn't seem fair if the target can't fight back.

Along that lines - would the tiny character have to roll to hit the target? It would seem that it would be almost impossible to miss if you were in the target's brain.

Like I said - conceptually cool, but I can't quite wrap my brain around the mechanics.

Well, as long as it costs endurance, a big limiting factor is the attacking character getting tired. Both these attacks cost a fair bit for the damage done.

In terms of return fire, remember, mental powers, or anything BOECV, can still be used, thanks to Mental Awareness.

Aside from that, yeah, its rather dangerous, but its kind of like a NND. Really dangerous against some opponents, basically useless against others.

Here's a counter I thought of on the drive hom - me thinking in GM mode

*puts on GM's hat*

Would the tiny character take incidental damage from other attacks. For example - the shrunk character is punching the target in the eye. The target fires his laser beam eye attack at a secondary target (not at the tiny character) - since the tiny character is essentialy standing in the barrel of the gun as it fires, would it be reasonable to give them a heaping portion of damage too?

Punching someone from inside is a huge advantage, but so would getting two attacks for the price of one (the damage against the intended secondary target, plus the damage against the shrunk character standing in the line of fire)

That would be extremely sfx dependent, though, and frankly, only likely if the shrinker is particularly stupid. OTOH, if a shrinker *did* decide to hang out right in the vicinity where the villains attack powers come out, go for it.

Vaguely similarly, its also entirely appropriate to subject the shrinker to whatever bizarre internal workings the target has in their body, *especially* if the shrinking attack is EDM-based. So, trying to do this on somebody like, say, Radium? Bad move.

Lastly, any type of energy-based Damage Shield should probably hit a shrinker, even if their shrinking is defined as desolid or EDM, unless the shrinker is literally in the subatomic range.

Please tell me we're not talking about moving around galaxies here.

Ummm... I don't haaavve to say that.:rolleyes:

The Macroverse, and for that matter the Microverse, are a way of handling what happens when the amount of Growth (or Shrinking) required becomes unwieldy. Once a character is a mile tall, or about 95 points of Growth, they're not interacting with the world in a normal matter. Their fingers are 40 feet in diameter at that point! So, from a certain point of view, they're in a different reality from normal sized characters.

So no, we're not talking about moving galaxies, or even planets, since there isn't anything to stand on and push against. Unless you've got Flight.

Acualy, when I first asked about Macroverses when I first posted my ideal of them in a post so long ago, I was pondering things like "what if the Champions Universe is in reality a atom in size...whould it be posable to 'grow' into another dimention?" and "what if someone from the so called Microverse could visit the Champions Universe by growing?". I diden't think of anything inbetween.

But, anyways, I kinda like the special effect of Desolification for thoes who can grow ("your atoms are to far apart, dude...your sliping through the vary Earth itself").

That would be extremely sfx dependent' date=' though, and frankly, only likely if the shrinker is particularly stupid. OTOH, if a shrinker *did* decide to hang out right in the vicinity where the villains attack powers come out, go for it.[/quote']

Of course that would be situational, but possible - well, at least plausable. I'll have to keep it in mind if/when I ever need to pitch this.

Ok - here's another thought: would an area effect attack work? Of course the target would have to have personal immunity, but the character inside the one with immunity is techincly inside the area effect, too. Or does that seem too cheap?

(Along that line of thought, I guess explosion would be an effective counter too. The shrinkiee couldnt be more at ground zero if they tried.)