Usagi Yojimbo Hero

Susano

Re: Usagi Yojimbo Hero

chambara game

I have no idea what this means.

And I see your point, to a degree, but I don't really like the 'the bad guys have (resource), you can't get it. EVER' model, whether that be magic, gunpowder. Admittedly, there are times it won't necessarily be a great idea, but ...

Anyway, in my personal definition, fantasy requires magic. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what this means.

And I see your point, to a degree, but I don't really like the 'the bad guys have (resource), you can't get it. EVER' model, whether that be magic, gunpowder. Admittedly, there are times it won't necessarily be a great idea, but ...

Anyway, in my personal definition, fantasy requires magic. :)

I mention Chambara in my intro to UY. And in Ninja Hero if you have that. It's the term for Japan's sword and samurai movies in which the fights are fast and free flowing and people drop like flies. Actually, UY itself is a perfect example of it.

With regard to the magic thing, I ran a fantasy samurai game for 4 years and made deliberately magic difficult and draining to do. PCs *could* be magicians, but only one player ever chose to become one. NPC magicians existed but were very, very rare and just like PC mages, were not very combat-capable.

The players didn't seem to mind, because "without magic" does not mean "without powers" - sword-wielding PCs had a variety of powers simply defined as fighting tricks or Kung-Fu. The demon-queller, for example, could harm ghosts and similar desolid folk by spitting on them - but he couldn't fly or cast fireballs. The samurai didn't have that sort of wierd power, but they had (for example) autofire or area of effect attacks with their swords, allowing them to carve through peasants like a hot sword through butter, the ninja had various "sneaky" powers and so on.

As a GM, I liked this style, since I wanted the emphasis to be sword-slingers (if I ran a "Knightly" game, I'd take the same approach) and it let the players diversify while keeping the game easily balanced (not so many telepathy, raise dead, teleport and other plot-destroying spells).

Cheers, Mark

Just a minor quibble for Mike.

You describe Usagi as being his era's greatest swordsman, but I'd rate him as "one of the greatest". He's been defeated several times: Jei beat him in their first encounter (before being struck by lightning) and almost beat him and Gennnoské combined in their final duel - he was winning easily until Usagi got him in the back while he attempted to save Keiko. Nakamura Koji beat him in a fair fight - even after being at a disadvantage when his sandal breaks - and since Katsuichi defeats Koji, it's fair to say he could probably still beat Usagi, too. Shizukiri stared him down in the Yojimbo tribute story line, suggesting a stronger ki (apparently he reappears soon in his own story)

Stan Sakai himself writes: "Usagi is nowhere near the best swordsman in Japan. He was beaten by Koji, and wounded by Jei. He has not been tested against many others including Katsuichi and the Lord of Owls. So far, the best of the swordsmen I've introduced is Inazuma."

So Inazuma is the best sword around? Better than Jei? Now THAT's a scary thought :eek:

cheers, Mark

Just a minor quibble for Mike.

You describe Usagi as being his era's greatest swordsman, but I'd rate him as "one of the greatest". He's been defeated several times: Jei beat him in their first encounter (before being struck by lightning) and almost beat him and Gennnoské combined in their final duel - he was winning easily until Usagi got him in the back while he attempted to save Keiko. Nakamura Koji beat him in a fair fight - even after being at a disadvantage when his sandal breaks - and since Katsuichi defeats Koji, it's fair to say he could probably still beat Usagi, too. Shizukiri stared him down in the Yojimbo tribute story line, suggesting a stronger ki (apparently he reappears soon in his own story)

I need to edit that line. I rea;ized that he's not "the greatest" simply among the top... 5 or so. Ino is supposed to be "the best" -- but later stories have made that hard to quantify.

BTW -- where is Shizukiri from? Sounds like something I don't yet own.

Stan Sakai himself writes: "Usagi is nowhere near the best swordsman in Japan. He was beaten by Koji, and wounded by Jei. He has not been tested against many others including Katsuichi and the Lord of Owls. So far, the best of the swordsmen I've introduced is Inazuma."

This is all totally new to me. Where did you find this? And interesting that Sakai brings up the Lord of Owls, as he's done nothing with the character that I know of since the first meeting in... wow... one of the early volumes (5? 6? 7?).

So Inazuma is the best sword around? Better than Jei? Now THAT's a scary thought :eek:

No kidding!

Looks like some revision is in the works.

I need to edit that line. I rea;ized that he's not "the greatest" simply among the top... 5 or so. Ino is supposed to be "the best" -- but later stories have made that hard to quantify.

The duels between Usagi and Ino always ended in a draw, so I figure they are about the same level. Usagi was always holding back a bit, so I figured he might have the edge there, but then he was also clearly on the defensive most of the time. Hard to call :)

where is Shizukiri from? Sounds like something I don't yet own.

Yeah, you do, but it's just a couple of panels in Showdown (issue #47) - Usagi does his "grim face" and stares at Shizukiri - Shizukiri stares back and after a moment Usagi kind of wilts and looks away (implying that Shizukiri is "spiritually" stronger). Gen aks him if he is OK and also comments earlier that he has a really nasty reputation.

This is all totally new to me. Where did you find this? And interesting that Sakai brings up the Lord of Owls' date=' as he's done nothing with the character that I know of since the first meeting in... wow... one of the early volumes (5? 6? 7?).[/quote']

It's from a discussion thread at Usagiyojimbo.com I don't recall the exact title, but here's a similar Stan Sakai quote from a thread called - The greatest swordsman in the Usagi world?:

"Usagi is not the best swordsman around. He had lost to Nakamura Koji, who, himself, was defeated by Katsuichi. However, Usagi is better than most. Also, his "unusual style" gives him an advantage.

If I remember correctly, that comment about Ino being the best was made before Inazuma was introduced. Ino's story is finished (unless I think up a good story for him), but Inazuma will be back in UY 98 as she takes on Gen and Stray Dog."

As for the Lord of Owls, I thought he was a truly cool character conception and have been waiting for him to make a reappearance: I have an NPC based on him waiting to make an appearance in my current FH game :D

Given his comment at the time, though I expect Usagi to kill him :(

cheers, Mark

The duels between Usagi and Ino always ended in a draw, so I figure they are about the same level. Usagi was always holding back a bit, so I figured he might have the edge there, but then he was also clearly on the defensive most of the time. Hard to call :)

Well, at one point Stan did say "Ino was the best." So I had to go with that.

Yeah, you do, but it's just a couple of panels in Showdown (issue #47) - Usagi does his "grim face" and stares at Shizukiri - Shizukiri stares back and after a moment Usagi kind of wilts and looks away (implying that Shizukiri is "spiritually" stronger). Gen aks him if he is OK and also comments earlier that he has a really nasty reputation.

Ahh!!! I just found that. Yeah, interesting scene there.

It's from a discussion thread at Usagiyojimbo.com I don't recall the exact title, but here's a similar Stan Sakai quote from a thread called - The greatest swordsman in the Usagi world?:

"Usagi is not the best swordsman around. He had lost to Nakamura Koji, who, himself, was defeated by Katsuichi. However, Usagi is better than most. Also, his "unusual style" gives him an advantage.

If I remember correctly, that comment about Ino being the best was made before Inazuma was introduced. Ino's story is finished (unless I think up a good story for him), but Inazuma will be back in UY 98 as she takes on Gen and Stray Dog."

Right, as I said, that was then, this is now. And this will let me edit some character sheets.

As for the Lord of Owls, I thought he was a truly cool character conception and have been waiting for him to make a reappearance: I have an NPC based on him waiting to make an appearance in my current FH game :D

Given his comment at the time, though I expect Usagi to kill him :(

Usagi tends to do that....

I've done some updating to the character sheets.

I've also finished the numbers parts for Yagi, Tomoe Ame, and Ishida. I am almost done with Usagi, but he still has some gaps where I need to assign values and points.

INSPECTOR ISHIDA

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
13	STR	3	12-	Lift 150 kg; 2 1/2d6 HTH Damage
15	DEX	15	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  5
12	CON	4	11-
10	BODY	0	11-
18	INT	8	13-	PER Roll 13-
14	EGO	8	12-	ECV:  5
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6
10	COM	0	11-

5	PD	2		Total:  5 PD ( rPD)
4	ED	2		Total:  4 ED ( rED)
3	SPD	5		Phases:  4, 8, 12
5	REC	0
24	END	0
23	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  52

Movement:[/b]	Running:	6"/12"
Swimming:	2"/4"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
2	[b]Fearless In Pursuit Of Justice:[/b]  +5 PRE; Defensive PRE Only (-1)

[b]Martial Arts:[/b] [i]Jujutsu[/i]
[b]Maneuver	OCV	DCV	Damage[/b]
4	Block	+2	+2	Block; Abort
4	Disarm	-1	+1	28 STR Disarm
5	Flying Kick	+1	-2	7 1/2d6 Strike
3	Slam	+0	+1	3 1/2d6 +v/5; Target Falls
4	Strike	+0	+2	5 1/2d6 Strike
3	Takedown	+1	+1	3 1/2d6 Strike; Target Falls
4	+1 Damage Class (added in)
1	Use Art With Clubs (Jitté)

14	[b]Jitté:[/b]  HA +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand 
Attack (-1/2) [b]plus[/b] +2 OCV with Bind, Block, Disarm, Takeaway; OAF (-1) [b]plus[/b] 
Ranged (+1/2) for HA +3d6; 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4)
23	[b]Katana:[/b]  HKA 1 1/2d6 (2 1/2d6 with STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); 
OAF (-1) [b]plus[/b] +1 OCV; OAF (-1), [b]plus[/b] Ranged (+1/2) for HKA 1 1/2d6; OAF (-1), 
1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4)

[b]Perks[/b]
2	Fringe Benefit:  Yoriki (Local Police Powers)

[b]Skills[/b]
6	Combat Skill Levels:  +2 with Jujutsu

2	AK:  Local Town & District 11-
3	Bureaucratics 12-
0	Climbing 8-
0	Concealment 8-
0	Conversation 8-
3	Criminology 13-
3	Deduction 13-
3	Fast Draw (HTH) 12-
3	KS:  Criminal Law And Procedure 13-
1	Language:  Japanese (native and Literate)
0	Paramedic 8-
3	Persuasion 12-
2	PS:  Yoriki 11-
0	Shadowing 8-
0	Stealth 8-
2	WF:  Blades, Jitté
[b]100	Total Powers & Skills Cost
152	Total Character Cost

75+	Disadvantages[/b]
5	Age:  40+
5	Distinctive Features:  Police Officer's "Uniform" (EC)
10	Distinctive Features:  Style (Jutusu)
15	DNPC:  Wife and Child (Normal/Incomp, x2 DNPCs) 11-
20	Psychological Limitation:  Devoted To Justice (VC, S)
10	Reputation:  Bit Of A Rebel, 11-
20	Social Limitation:  Subject To Orders (VF, M)
-8	[b]Experience
160	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Background/History:

Inspector Ishida is a police investigator. A middle-aged man verging on being elderly, he has seen much in his years as a yoriki (police officer) but still strives to do his best to bring justice to all. Little is known about his past, other than he lost a son to illness about a year before his first introduction. I presume his town (which is never named as far as I can tell) is fairly large, as the castle of Lord Yamahashi sits on one edge, as well as being home to a number of wealthy merchants. Interestingly, events in Volume 13, Grey Shadows, where Ishida first appears, seems to indicate that Ishida's town is the same as Stray Dog's orphanage.

Inspector Ishida first appears in Volume 13, Grey Shadows, in the story The Hairpin Murders. Usagi's actions make it possible for Ishida to adopt the child Kotaro in the follow-up story, The Courtesan (thus explaining Ishida's DNPC). Ishida has appeared sporadically since then, and has become popular enough for Stan Sakai to write solo stories about him.

Personality/Motivation:

For a 17th Century Japanese police officer, Ishida has some decidedly strange ideas about law enforcement. Simply put, he is a strong believer in equal justice before the law. No one, in his mind, is above the law, and all should hold to it -- or else laws are useless and enforcing them is meaningless. This attitude doesn't make him popular with his superiors, and even Ishida will admit to being known as a "rebel" among his fellow officers and magistrates. On the other hand, this does mean he treats most everyone fairly, and tries to find the true solution to a mystery or crime, not the most expedient one. Ishida has also stated that Japanese society's aversion to the dead makes it hard to truly examine a corpse (such as a murder victim) and envies (after a fashion) the Dutch, who he hears, have turned death into a science, with something called an "autopsy."

Quotes:

"No one can be above the law! It is justice for all or for none!"

"I just believe that no matter how low their position, everyone is entitled to some justice."

Powers/Tactics:

Ishida is not a swordsman, even though he does go around armed with a katana. It is more a badge of station and rank, the fedual Japan version of the power tie. Ishida's jitté is his badge of office as a yoriki, specifically an inspector. If confronted by a foe he will draw his jitté and use that to disarm and armed attack (often breaking a swordblade in the process) and then combine a mixture of strikes with the jitté, his hands, and his feet to defeat his enemy.

Appearance:

Ishida is a tan-furred anthromorphic feline with slightly stooped shoulders. He's not very tall, standing about 5' in height (based on scenes of him walking with Usagi). He wears dark blue (or black) hakama and kimono with white trim, a white obi, and a blue haori. In his obi are a katana and his jitté.

Designer's Notes:

Ishida's character sheet is loosely derived from the Fuzion stats for other characters given in the Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game put out by Gold Rush Games. Additional skills were derived from material in the Sengoku Role-Playing Game and from scenes in the comic series. Originally intended to be a one-shot character, his popularity has resulted in his appearence in several stories, include a few solo ones. According to Wikipedia, he's encounted Kitsune, and wasn't fooled by her act.

(Ishida created by Stan Sakai, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

AWESOME!!! Great adaptations, and it is good to see GRG stuff continuing to be mentioned and used. Just an FYI, Sengoku 2e is still being developed. Mark has been pretty swamped (see his messages on the GRG website for details) and hasn't been able to put his nose to the grind stone as much as he might like. Also Action!System 2e is in development and that has to be first on the list since Sengoku will use it.

Thank you everyone for the kind words about Sengoku and UY, and I look forward to seeing this develop as time goes by.

TOMOE AME

13	STR	3	12-	Lift 150 kg; 2 1/2d6 HTH Damage
18	DEX	24	13-	OCV:  6/DCV:  6
15	CON	10	12-
12	BODY	4	11-
14	INT	4	12-	PER Roll 12-
15	EGO	10	12-	ECV:  5
18	PRE	8	13-	PRE Attack:  3 1/2d6
18	COM	4	13-

7	PD	4		Total:  10 PD (3 rPD)
6	ED	3		Total:  9 ED (3 rED)
4	SPD	12		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
6	REC	0
30	END	0
27	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  86

Movement:[/b]	Running:	6"/12"
Leaping:	4.5"/9"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills
Martial Arts:[/b]  [i]Falling Rain-ryu Kenjutsu[/i]
4	Block	+2	+2	Block, Abort
4	Cut	+0	+2	Weapon +1 DC Strike
4	Evade	+0	+5	Dodge vs All, Abort
4	Lightning Stroke	+2	+0	Weapon +1 DC Strike
5	Slash	-2	+1	Weapon +2 DC Strike
5	Thrust	+1	+3	Weapon Strike
1	Use art with swords, barehanded

23	[b]Katana:[/b]  HKA 1 1/2d6 (2 1/2d6 with STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); 
OAF (-1) [b]plus[/b] +1 OCV; OAF (-1), [b]plus[/b] Ranged (+1/2) for HKA 1 1/2d6; OAF (-1), 1 
Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4)
15	[b]Wakazashi:[/b]  HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1) 
[b]plus[/b] +1 OCV; OAF (-1), [b]plus[/b] Ranged (+1/2) for HKA 1d6; OAF (-1), 1 Recoverable 
Charge (-1 1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4)
13	[b]Yadome-jutsu (Arrow cutting):[/b]  Missile Deflection:  Arrows and Projectiles, +4 OCV, 
Deflect Adjacent Attacks (+1/2), OAF (sword; -1)
2	[b]Spring In Her Step:[/b]  Leaping +2" (4.5" forward, 2" upwards), END 1

[b]Perks[/b]
3	Fringe Benefit:  Chief Retainer to Lord Noriyuki
10	Fringe Benefit:  Kirisutogomen

[b]Talents[/b]
6	Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
33	[b]Dairokkan:[/b]  Danger Sense (Sense, Out Of Combat, Immediate Vicinity, 
Discriminatory), 12-
7	Swordmaster:  Deadly Blow (+1d6 HKA with swords)
4	Resistance:  +4 to EGO Roll

[b]Skills[/b]
16	Combat Skill Levels:  +2 with Combat
6	Combat Skill Levels:  +2 with Kenjutsu
8	Targeting Skill Levels:  +4 OCV with Swords

5	Acrobatics 14-
3	AK: Geishu Province 12-
3	Breakfall 13-
3	Climbing 13-
10	Defense Maneuver IV
3	Fast Draw 13- (HTH Weapons)
5	High Society 15-
3	KS:  Falling Rain-ryu Kenjutsu 12-
1	Language:  Japanese (native and literate)
2	PS:  Samurai 11-
5	Riding 14-
3	Stealth 13-
3	Tactics 12-
4	WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
[b]226	Total Powers & Skills Cost
312	Total Character Cost

150+	Disadvantages[/b]
15	DNPC:  Lord Noriyuki (Normal, noncombat position/skills) 14-
10	Distinctive Features:  Samurai Bearing (C)
10	Distinctive Features:  Style:  Falling Rain-ryu Kenjutsu
20	Hunted:  Enemies Of The Geishu Clan (AsPow, NCI, Kill) 11-
20	Psychological Limitation:  Code of the Bushi (Total obedience to one's lord) (C, T)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Code of Vengeance:  Must avenge all insults to self and 
lord (C, T)
20	Social Limitation:  Subject To Orders (VF, M)
47	[b]Experience
312	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Background/History:

Tomoe Ame is the daughter of Tatsutaro, the founder of the Falling Rain School of fencing. Tatsutaro taught Tomoe everything she knows, making her into one of the finest female swordswomen in Japan (of which there are very few, to be honest). Afterwards, she became a samurai in service to the Geishu Clan, whom her family has served for some 10 generations. In time, she has become Lord Noriyuki's most trusted and closest advisor, and his chief retainer and personal bodyguard, seeing to the defense and well-being of the Geishu lands.

She first met Usagi while trying to escape from the Neko Ninja, who were bent on killing Lord Noriyuki and thus preventing him from being named heir to the Geishu lands. Together they kept Noriyuki alive, and afterwards Noriyuki wished to offer Usagi service, but the rabbit had already left. Since then, Usagi has met with Tomoe and Noriyuki several times, often assisting the Geishu in times of need (or being assisted by them). Usagi is always welcome in Geishu lands, and there are hints of romantic feelings between Tomoe and the ronin.

Tomoe Ame is the first of the major supporting cast characters to appear, showing up in Volume 1, The Ronin, in the stories Lone Rabbit And Child, and The Confession. She has appeared sporadically since, playing important parts in the The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy and Grasscutter story arcs.

Personality/Motivation:

First and foremost, Tomoe Ame is concerned with the safety and well-being of Lord Noriyuki. Most everything she does is with this in mind. In many ways, she is a true samurai (even more so than Usagi), who thinks nothing of her self, but instead is totally dedicated to her lord. On several occasions she has nearly sacrificed herself so her lord may live and/or see his plans or needs or taken care of. In one case, she urged Usagi to flee and leave her, so he could get a message through enemy lines, basically stating her life wasn't important enough for him to risk capture. Although utterly loyal to Noriyuki, Tomoe Ame does have personal feelings, including a romantic attachment to Usagi. However, it is pretty much a give that this relationship will never develop, unless Usagi decides to settle down and take up service with Lord Noriyuki.

Quotes:

"I must see to my lord's comfort as well as his safety!"

"Blood. So much blood. I despise all of this killing!"

Powers/Tactics:

Tomoe Ame is a master of Falling Rain Kenjutsu and a highly-skilled warrior. She has fought against massed foes and is just on the verge of gaining the Area of Effect strike many other top-end fighters seem to have. As it is, she's quite capable of Sweeping a Lightning Stroke and killing two foes in a single attack. She has also shown skill in Riding, the bow, and the spear. In combat, she will see to the safety of Lord Noriyuki first, with getting him out of harms way her first, and foremost, priority. Otherwise she will take the fight to the enemy, cutting them down with fast and efficient strokes.

Appearance:

Tomoe Ame is a pretty anthropomorphic feline with tan fur, black hair, and an attractive face and features. Her hair is very long, and falls down to her waist, even with the topknot she wears. Her clothing usually consists of hakama, kimono, obi, and haori. I'm unsure of the colors, but the cover of the Grasscutter volume seems to indicate a green haori, red kimono, and blueish hakama. The obi is white. Tomoe Ame normally carries a katana and wakizashi, but has been trained in the use of the naginata and the yari.

Designers Notes:

Tomoe's character sheet is derived from the Fuzion stats given in the Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game put out by Gold Rush Games. Additional skills were derived from material in the Sengoku Role-Playing Game and from scenes in the comic series. Tomoe herself is loosely based on the real world female samurai Tomoe Gozen, although her name comes from a candy called "Tomoe Ame" that Stan Sakai enjoyed as a child. Interestingly, "Tomoe" is the character's given name, not "Ame," which is her family name.

Tomoe is a very popular character with UY fans, and many have pushed for a romantic involvement between her and Usagi. Stan Sakai has made hints to this effect, but the most recent story arcs have her forced into marriage with neighboring lord. It remains to see what the fallout of this will be.

As written Tomoe is avery capable samurai. However, her stats (taken from the GRG RPG) might be a tad low. To "punch up" Tomoe's combat skills, give her the Area Of Effect attack I've given to other main samurai as well as a DEX of 20 or so.

(Tomoe Ame created by Stan Saki, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

This is some great, great work here, Susano. I especially like the write-ups of Gen (I have the issue of Critters where he first shows up), Kitsune (my favorite UY character -- no surprise), and Jei who I think is one of the most lethal and scary villains I've ever read about. A non-furry version of him would be scary as all h*ll is just about any fantasy campaign.

PS -- And rep for you!

Hrmm... if Jei (or some variant of thereafter,) is introduced in a game, then the GM needs to decide specifically what he/she is. Stan is the only one who knows specifically what Jei's origins lie, and I don't think he'll be telling us any time soon.

YAGI

16	STR	6	12-	Lift 233 kg; 3d6 HTH Damage
24	DEX	42	14-	OCV:  8/DCV:  8
19	CON	18	13-
15	BODY	10	12-
14	INT	4	12-	PER Roll 12-
18	EGO	16	13-	ECV:  6
20	PRE	10	13-	PRE Attack:  4d6
10	COM	0	11-

8	PD	5		Total:  11 PD (3 rPD)
7	ED	3		Total:  10 ED (3 rED)
4	SPD	6		Phases:  3, 6, 8, 12
7	REC	0
38	END	0
32	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristics Cost:  120

Movement:[/b]	Running:	7"/14"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills
Martial Arts:[/b]  [i]Kenjutsu[/i]
4	Block	+2	+2	Block, Abort
4	Cut	+0	+2	Weapon +1 DC Strike
4	Evade	+0	+5	Dodge vs All, Abort
5	Leaping Strike	+1	+0	Weapon +v/5; Full Move
4	Lightning Stroke	+2	+0	Weapon +1 DC Strike
5	Slash	-2	+1	Weapon +2 DC Strike
5	Thrust	+1	+3	Weapon Strike
Use Art With Swords

OAF (-1) [b]plus[/b] +1 OCV; OAF (-1), [b]plus[/b] Ranged (+1/2) for HKA 1 1/2d6; OAF (-1), 1 
Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4)
15	[b]Wakazashi:[/b]  HKA 1d6 (2d6 with STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1) 
[b]plus[/b] +1 OCV; OAF (-1), [b]plus[/b] Ranged (+1/2) for HKA 1d6; OAF (-1), 1 Recoverable 
Charge (-1 1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4)
31	[b]Sweeping Strike:[/b]  Area Of Effect (One Hex, Doubled; +3/4), on up to 3 1/2d6 HKA, 
Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4); OIF (any katana; -1), 
Can Be Blocked (-1/4), END 3
2	[b]Fast On His Feet:[/b]  Running +1" (7" total) END 1

[b]Perks[/b]
10	Fringe Benefit:  Kirisutogomen
0	Vehicle:  Babycart Of Doom

[b]Talents[/b]
6	Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
33	[b]Dairokkan:[/b]  Danger Sense (Sense, Out Of Combat, Immediate Vicinity, Discriminatory)
7	[b]Swordmaster:[/b]  Deadly Blow (+1d6 HKA with swords)

[b]Skills[/b]
24	Combat Skill Levels:  +4 with Combat
12	Targeting Skill Levels:  +6 OCV with Swords

2	AK:  Japan 11-
3	Climbing 14-
3	Concealment 12-
0	Conversation 8-
0	Deduction 8-
10	Defense Maneuver IV
5	Iaijutsu:  Fast Draw (Blades) 15-
3	High Society 13-
3	KS:  Kenjutsu 12-
1	Language:  Japanese (native and literate)
0	Paramedic 8-
2	PS:  Assassin 11-
2	PS:  Samurai 11-
3	Riding 14-
0	Shadowing 8-
3	Stealth 14-
0	TF:  Equines
2	Weaponsmith (Babycart Weapons) 12-
5	WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Thrown Spear
[b]241	Total Powers & Skills Cost
361	Total Character Cost

150+	Disadvantages[/b]
10	Distinctive Features:  Samurai Bearing/Ronin (C)
10	Distinctive Features:  Style (Kenjutsu) 
20	DNPC:  Gorogoro (Normal) 14-
15	Hunted:  Hirone Clan (MoPow, Kill) 8-
15	Psychological Limitation:  Assassin's Code Of Honor (C, S)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Protective Of/Devoted To Gorogoro (VC, S)
15	Reputation:  Assassin/Outlaw on the road to hell, Extreme 11- 
10	Social Limitation:  Assassin, Ronin (F, M)
96	[b]Experience
361	Total Disadvantage Points[/b]

Background/History:

Yagi was formerly the bodyguard for Lord Higashi. When Higashi died, he forbade his retainers from committing jusnshi, killing themselves to follow Higashi in death as proof of their loyalty. Instead, he wanted them to provide council and direction to his son, Hirone. Unfortunately, Higashi's wise decree was lost on Hirone, who listened to supercilious sycophants who flattered Hirone and then turned him against his father's loyal followers. The first to be disgraced was Higashi's personal bodyguard, Yagi, who was made to look like a traitor. Yagi, in turn, killed many of the people responsible, before fleeing, now wandering Japan as a sword-for-hire, accompanied only by his son, Gorogoro. He is now known as the Lone Goat and Kid assassins.

Yagi is first mentioned in Volume 5, Lone Goat and Kid, in the story The Way Of The Samurai. He then appeared personally in the follow-up story, Lone Goat and Kid, where he fought Usagi to a draw. He then appears next in Volume 17, Dual At Kitanoji, with his son, Gorogoro becoming friends with Usagi's son, Jotaro.

Personality/Motivation:

For the most part, Yagi is a cold and emotionless individual, who only cares about his son, Gorogoro. He sells his sword to anyone who can pay his fee (500 ryo, in advance), but even then, will decide if his target is worthy of death or not. Yagi is also an honorable man, who will make sure his client's request is carried out, but will also turn down, or cancel a contract if it is shown he was tricked or fooled into attacking an innocent or the wrong person. Normally, Yagi cannot be bargained with or dissuaded from his contracts, but threats to Gorogoro will usually make him back off -- for the time being. Such threats will also only work to keep Yagi at bay as long Gorogoro is directly threatened. There's a good chance Yagi might declare that his son is the true son of a samurai, is unafraid of death, and attack anyone holding Gorogoro anyway.

Quote: "My sword may be for hire, but I choose my clients."

Powers/Tactics:

To say Yagi is a skilled swordsman is sort of like saying 'fire is hot.' In his first appearance, he single-handedly fought off an attack by 40 samurai of the Hirone Clan, and fought Usagi to a virtual standstill. He tends to use his Sweeping Strike a lot, cutting down enemy swordsmen in groups of two and three. He is also somewhat of an acrobatic fighter, moving constantly and often attacking while moving, using his Leaping Strike. As with many skilled swordsmen, he directs his cuts to the torso, avoiding limbs to strike killing blows to the stomach or vitals.

Yagi often has a wooden babycart with him, which looks like a modern shopping cart, with wooden walls made from planks, small wheels, and a frame of bamboo. The cart is a virtual trove of weapons, with assorted hidden blades, blade launchers, a length of weight on a chain, and removable lengths of frame with blades inside (working as impromptu spears). Gorogoro sits in the cart and knows how the weapons work, tapping sections of frame to activate the assort spring-loaded blades.

Appearance:

Yagi is a tall and lean tan-furred anthropomorphic goat who wears a black full-length kimono over a pale yukata. He carries a katana and wakizashi. Gorogoro is a young anthropomorphic goat who sears a simple kimono with a grid pattern.

Designer's Notes:

Yagi's character sheet is derived from the Fuzion stats given in the Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game put out by Gold Rush Games. Additional skills were derived from material in the Sengoku Role-Playing Game and from scenes in the comic series. Yagi and Gorogoro are based on the famous manga characters of Ogami Itto and his child, better known as the "Lone Wolf and Cub." Like Yagi and Gorogoro, Ogami was a high-ranking samurai accused of treason, who sought vengeance against his betrayers, while accompanied by his son, who rode in a baby carriage.

This character sheet represents Yagi at no particular point in the series, although I'd personally place it around Volume 17. In Volume 19, Father's And Sons, Usagi and Jotaro meet Yagi and Gorogoro. This is where Jotaro and Gorogoro become friends, and where Gorogoro finally speaks his first words in the comic ("g'bye"). As a final note, Gorogoro is far from defenseless -- he can use a sword, albeit a short one and isn't afraid to stand up to enemies.

(Yagi created by Stan Sakai, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Hrmm... if Jei (or some variant of thereafter' date=') is introduced in a game, then the GM needs to decide specifically [i']what[/i] he/she is. Stan is the only one who knows specifically what Jei's origins lie, and I don't think he'll be telling us any time soon.

Actually, on the discussion boards, I mentioned Stan has promised a backstory telling Jei's origin in the not too distant future. Half of me thinks "neatness!" and the other half wonders if it might not be better to keeep it mysterious :D

cheers, Mark

I always thought that Jei was a demon-touched madman. He's obviously crazy, but at the same time, there is something supernatural to him. Witness what happens to Inazuma at the end of that one story, esp. with the little girl.

"Where are we going?"

"To hell, child. To hell."

Actually' date=' on the discussion boards, I mentioned Stan has promised a backstory telling Jei's origin in the not too distant future. Half of me thinks "neatness!" and the other half wonders if it might not be better to keeep it mysterious :D[/quote']

Yeah, 'cause the real story probably isn't half as cool and whatever the readers think is the real story!