Book Recommendation: Anatomy Of A City

Steve Long

Re: Book Recommendation: Anatomy Of A City

Now that I look at the Amazon listing, yeah, it is mostly about New York. There'd have to be some consideration of the historical development of infrastructure in a city with an three-hundred-year history, but it may or may not have much to say about earlier foundations like those of most European cities. Still sounds interesting, though, and I suspect the science fiction-minded could use it as an point of extrapolation. (Also a pretty fair price for a hardcover.)

I actually got this book for my Champions game after hearing an interview with the author on NPR (sometime last year) and Steve's dead on - it's a helluva resource. Even though it is about New York City, since NYC is the prototype for the average campaign setting, most of the information could be very useful.

One of the most trivial uses I got out of it, I'm ashamed to say (grin), comes from running across the descriptions of the kinds of lampposts in NYC, and the fact that some of them are very old, very pretty, and highly prized by the residents of the neighborhoods where they are found. One of my players ripped up a lamppost in one of those neighborhoods, the better to pound a villain with, and later got raked over the coals by the neighborhood association for doing it! It was a great bit of roleplaying, which turned into a real thing for the character as he not only made nice with the group, but also used it as a springboard to develop some real contacts in the area. It was nice.

All I can say is, the book is worth the price. Plenty of source material to suggest ideas for villainous plots and interesting scenarios for your players. Remember, as the creators of Law and Order always said, "The city is the other principal character." A campaign setting with real life and vitality can make a game crackle with energy, and this book really helped my campaign out a lot.

Another book on cities I highly recommend (though it's decades old now) is "The Life and Death of Great American Cities" by Jane Jacobs. It's a discussion of how city planning can destroy healthy, vital neighborhoods if it's done badly. If you're looking for descriptions of what life in a pulp-era city neighborhood was like, this is probably an excellent place to start.

"The Corner" is a thick but very in-depth look at one particular part of an inner city neighborhood. GMs running Dark Champions games might like it; it gives a lot of insight into the desperation and vividness of urban life, insight that many gamers (who tend to be middle class) might not have. Slightly off the "city" topic, I liked Hunter Thompson's book on the Hell's Angels; it's hardly dry, and it gives a look at what biker gang folk act like. Again, a great resource for GMs who are running seedy NPCs but who have never, you know, been a member of a biker gang. :)

I just remembered the OTHER one I was trying to remember so I could recommend. (grin - I knew that Urban Sociology course would come in handy some day) It's called The Code of the Street, and it explores the peculiar morality and social codes that characterize often violent inner-city urban life. It gives a good insight into WHY "thugs" act the way they do.

Sorry to add yet ANOTHER book, though. This list is getting pricey. ;)

Well' date=' not specifically, but [i']The Ultimate Base[/i] will have rules for creating and playing kingdoms, cities, nations, planets, etc. as characters (or at least as Base-like entities that have some effect on the game).

OK, you just sold that book to me. When about is it coming out? (Note: I said about. I know you can't give more than a general idea, the RPG publishing industry being as it is. ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

some great book suggestions here.... my favorite book on older cities is still the classic by David Mccaulay, simply called "City"

hes done a whole series of books

for post apoc.... Motel of the Mysteries is kinda fun

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/features/davidmacaulay/bio.shtml

some great book suggestions here.... my favorite book on older cities is still the classic by David Mccaulay, simply called "City"

hes done a whole series of books

for post apoc.... Motel of the Mysteries is kinda fun

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/features/davidmacaulay/bio.shtml

Is City done like Castle and Cathedral? I loved the drawings in those.

Motel of the Mysteries is OK; if you like the basic setting, try and find The Weans. Out of print, so try the library, or used book shops.

• 2 months later...

Pardon the necro-post, but just wanted to say:

1) My wife got me "The Works" for my birthday, and I love it! Thanks again for the recommendation. Also,

2) While looking for The Works, she also found Infrastructure: A Field Guide To The Industrial Landscape by Brian Hayes. Goes into tremendous detail on things like how power plants, grids, waste water plants, mines, etc. actually work. Not as many maps as I've like, tho plenty of diagrams and such. Probably goes into more detail than most gamers need. But if you felt The Works didn't quite get into enough nitty-gritty for your tastes, this is the book for you.