Class of the Titans

Logan D. Hurricanes

Re: Class of the Titans

I've only seen a handful of episodes so far, but here are a few notes I've gathered so far:

Jay: He's pretty generic so far. The all around leader type, but he doesn't exactly command. It seems the others defer to him because he's got the title of leader rather than because of any special skills. Typical leader type qualities: bravery, stubbornness, a certain moral guideline, and a sword. Jay seems to be more up on mythology than the others. He's a creative planner, but not so much more than the others. I'm hoping to see him develop a bit further.

Archie: Not invulnerable as his ancestry might suggest, but he does seem fairly tough. He is immune to disease, though, to his surprise. Deathly afraid of large open bodies of water, and he can get motion sick in aircraft. Wields a very cool half whip half flail weapon called a "Hephaestus whip." He has feelings for Atlanta, whom he also has an intense rivalry with.

Atlanta: A minor speedster, she has higher natural agility and reflexes than the other heroes. She can sprint or attack at very high speeds for very short durations. Uses a variety of weapons, likes the bolas. She seems to be oblivious to Archie’s romantic intentions, but she enjoys the rivalry.

Theresa: Danger sensing precog. (I thought at first that she might be named for Teresius, the blind seer. I still wonder if that might be a subtle influence.) Could be developing telepathic abilities, possibly magic. Slightly over cautious. A black belt who fights with nunchaku. Seems to be attracted to Jay.

Odie: Gadgeteer. Admires and looks up to Hephaestus, gadgeteer of the gods. He has a laptop computer given to him by Hermes. Video game junky, he can fly a plane that Heph built because the controls were like his handheld game. Very smart, very hip. Creative tactician, but not a great fighter. Extremely claustrophobic. He’s very honor driven.

Herry: The strongman, the only one who seems to have real high level power. Not sure what his strength level is, but he is seen tossing giant monsters around with relative ease. What he has in power he lacks in personality. He seems to be pushed into the background a lot for some reason, and only one episode, his focus episode, gave him any development at all. Impatient, highly confident, a very good fighter who uses no weapons. DNPC: Granny. Drives the team vehicle, a monster truck pimped out by Heph.

Neil: Typical comic relief/counterpoint character so common in these cartoons, but he’s not incompetent. (Except for a tendency to shock himself with the taser.) Supposed to be gorgeous, but the girls on the team seem unphased by his presence. Vain to a fault, as would be expected by his ancestry. Clever, funny, lucky, not really a coward, but he is very aware of his limitations in combat. He screams like a girl. Very lucky; he never loses a coin toss.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why the show wasn't picked up in the US.

They'd have to subtitle it for all those Americans thrown by those impenetrable Canadian accents. Actually there are several Canadians cartoons being produced that aren't available in the United States because American outlets prefer to go with their own producers. The most surprising thing about Class of the Titans is how much mythology they actually get right although they aren't slaves to accuracy. I was quite pleased though that they avoided the "Hades as villain" nonsense, though. Kronos makes a much better villain.

Jay: He's pretty generic so far. The all around leader type, but he doesn't exactly command. It seems the others defer to him because he's got the title of leader rather than because of any special skills.

Leadership is his special skill. Being descended from Jason, one of the few Greek heroes who led a team (and didn't get them all wiped out as Odysseus did again, again and again), has apparently given him an undefinable knack for drawing people together into a team.

Archie: Not invulnerable as his ancestry might suggest, but he does seem fairly tough. He is immune to disease, though, to his surprise.

The whip is the most effective and deadly weapon the team has. Archie also has to wear a special bracer on his ankle. The best way to take him down would be to attack him while he was sleeping since I suspect he takes it off to sleep. He'd probably twist his ankle almost immediately. However since the team sleep in a dorm protected by the gods, attacking him there isn't an option open to Kronos.

Atlanta: A minor speedster, she has higher natural agility and reflexes than the other heroes. She can sprint or attack at very high speeds for very short durations. Uses a variety of weapons, likes the bolas. She seems to be oblivious to Archie’s romantic intentions, but she enjoys the rivalry.

She started out using the bolas but eventually concluded they were useless because the monsters always immediately broke free. Now she has this wrist thing that shoots energy bolts. They aren't very effective either.

Herry: The strongman, the only one who seems to have real high level power. Not sure what his strength level is, but he is seen tossing giant monsters around with relative ease.

He's about STR 35. 40 at most. He had to strain hard to lift one end of a loaded dump truck.

[/b]He's about STR 35. 40 at most. He had to strain hard to lift one end of a loaded dump truck.

True, however in another episode he was flinging huge boulders at a monster with no apparent difficulty at all.

Comics and cartoons aren't known for their consistency, certainly not as much as Rpgs generally are. :)

Leadership is his special skill. Being descended from Jason' date=' one of the few Greek heroes who led a team (and didn't get them all wiped out as Odysseus did again, again and again), has apparently given him an undefinable knack for drawing people together into a team. [/quote']

I see where you're going on this. Again, I've only seen a handful of episodes, so maybe there is something more overt there in other episodes. But you're right, leadership in and of itself is a talent/skill all it's own, so it may simply end up as a subtle series of traits.

The whip is the most effective and deadly weapon the team has. Archie also has to wear a special bracer on his ankle. The best way to take him down would be to attack him while he was sleeping since I suspect he takes it off to sleep. He'd probably twist his ankle almost immediately. However since the team sleep in a dorm protected by the gods, attacking him there isn't an option open to Kronos.

I love that whip! I hadn't seen anything done with the bracer yet, so that's good to know.

She started out using the bolas but eventually concluded they were useless because the monsters always immediately broke free. Now she has this wrist thing that shoots energy bolts. They aren't very effective either.

Funny about the bolas, especially since it's her pose in the intro. I have to look for the energy bolts.

He's about STR 35. 40 at most. He had to strain hard to lift one end of a loaded dump truck.

That's the range I was thinking. I might some extra with an 'adrenaline' type limitation, or maybe 'writer's fiat' :)

Last night Herry wrestled with King Minos in Hades for about 20 minutes solid (indicating high endurance, though he collapsed shortly thereafter), but he wasn't quite strong enough to win. I'm going with a 35 STR. He nearly crushed his hand, too, but the wauy the others freaked i'm betting he's the only one who could take that kind of punishment.

Jay has got some good moves. Clever fighter with a high dcv, even as a ghost. It seems, also, that if Jay dies, Cronos wins, making Jay that much more important.

Last night Herry wrestled with King Minos in Hades for about 20 minutes solid (indicating high endurance, though he collapsed shortly thereafter), but he wasn't quite strong enough to win. I'm going with a 35 STR. He nearly crushed his hand, too, but the wauy the others freaked i'm betting he's the only one who could take that kind of punishment.

Jay has got some good moves. Clever fighter with a high dcv, even as a ghost. It seems, also, that if Jay dies, Cronos wins, making Jay that much more important.

If any of them die Cronos wins. He just can't personally kill them.

If any of them die Cronos wins. He just can't personally kill them.

Ah, ok. I didn't know that. That latter part seems a bit inconsistent, too. Cronos grabbed Herry ready to slice him open last night. It was a good villain moment, actually. He had this grand plan to send Herry back in time to screw up Hercules' reputation, and of course it backfired. Paraphrased monologue. "I should have just slain him when I had the chance. But no...I had to send him off through time on some grand and overly complicated scheme. Why? Oh yes, that's right; because I'm a god."

I hope to get the first rough drafts up tonight.

Tonight's episode was titled..."They Might Be G.I.Ants" :D

Notes: They all have classes in classic sword and shield fighting. Odie and Neil are...not fighters.

Jay's default weapon is a staff, not the sword I'd seen before.

Hermes has a squad of, technogreeks :snicker:

Neil is now far and away my favorite.

By the by, the director (Brad Goodchild) has a blog with a plethora of good art, screenshots and notes.

I probably won't get any up tonight, but I am working on it.

Tonight's episode's notes:

-Jay sucks at foosball.

-Atlanta's bracer blasters have little bows as if they're tiny crossbows shooting the laser blasts...very ineffective laser blasts.

-Theresa is going to be expensive. She has mind control? Only vs. limited INT creatures, apparently, but she could affect two at the same time. Theseus indeed. :rolleyes:

-Neil is just cool. He's about to get eaten and all he seems to be concerned with is the location of his mirror. :D

Okay, I have the early drafts of Archie, Odie, and Neil up on my website here. Any and all comments are welcomed, I've only seen six episodes so I know I'm missing a lot. Post 'em here or PM me.

OK: First of all, Archie's tactics. Trained by Ares or not, Archie has no noticeable tactical ability in anything I've seen. He never comes up with a plan of action more sophisticated than "kill the orc!" nor does he anticipate others. He's the best individual fighter of the team but his leadership ability and inclination is nonexistent. There's a reason why Jay needs to be on the team.

Also one thing you may want to be aware of is that the whole team has access to a gigantic arsenal of weapons. In theory they could grab a different weapon on every outing. Jay uses more variety than any of the others but prefers his switchsword against monsters. Neil and Odie generally don't bother to pack a weapon apart from the taser built into their communicators.

Kronos, and yes, I was misspelling his name in the first episode visited the Oracle. At that time he learned that the Chosen were prophesied to defeat him and that he could not fight them without them being "protected by the gods". This prophesy appears to act like a kind of geis on Kronos, forcing him to only seriously attack the Chosen through proxies. He has repeatedly crossed swords with Jay and Theresa, but just tosses them away when they try.

OK: First of all' date=' Archie's tactics. Trained by Ares or not, Archie has no noticeable tactical ability in anything I've seen. He never comes up with a plan of action more sophisticated than "kill the orc!" nor does he anticipate others. He's the best individual fighter of the team but his leadership ability and inclination is nonexistent. There's a reason why Jay needs to be on the team. [/quote']Good points, I'll fix that.

Also one thing you may want to be aware of is that the whole team has access to a gigantic arsenal of weapons. In theory they could grab a different weapon on every outing. Jay uses more variety than any of the others but prefers his switchsword against monsters. Neil and Odie generally don't bother to pack a weapon apart from the taser built into their communicators.
I've been trying to figure out what to do about that. You never know exactly what they're going to show up with from episode to episode weapons wise. It's an interesting choice, typically they would all be very prop identified. I think I'm going to write up anything that is uniquely theirs, like the Hephaestus Whip, but any other weapons that aren't unique or special I'm going to leave off. I could give them all an armory VPP, but that's inelegant. I forgot to actually write up the communicators, too, so I might write one up and say 'they all have these, too.' Treat the whole thing as a package deal kind of situation.

Kronos, and yes, I was misspelling his name in the first episode visited the Oracle. At that time he learned that the Chosen were prophesied to defeat him and that he could not fight them without them being "protected by the gods". This prophesy appears to act like a kind of geis on Kronos, forcing him to only seriously attack the Chosen through proxies. He has repeatedly crossed swords with Jay and Theresa, but just tosses them away when they try.
Ok, that makes sense now. Cool, thanks for the notes!

It kind of makes sense that Archie has no head for tactics, given that he was trained by Ares. If my KS: Greek Mythology doesn't fail me, Ares wasn't so much about tactics then bloodshed and brutality. He liked the carnage of war rather then the intricate tactics that Athena preferred.

It kind of makes sense that Archie has no head for tactics' date=' given that he was trained by Ares. If my KS: Greek Mythology doesn't fail me, Ares wasn't so much about tactics then bloodshed and brutality. He liked the carnage of war rather then the intricate tactics that Athena preferred.[/quote']

I believe you are correct, sir!

Or at the very least close enough for government work.

I may have to stop this project. The fans are scaring me.

In doing research on the characters, I have learned that nearly all of the hits are fanfiction. And it's not nice fanfic (is there such a thing?), it's all Shippers (A term I learned here, eerily enough). Archie/Theresa, Jay/Theresa/Atlanta... Neil/Herry?? :nonp: There is a forum on TV.com, and the discussions are almost all who-should-be-dating-who. I think I may have stepped into a world I never intended... :angst:

Tonight's Notes:

-Poor Herry. He needs to realize that any beautiful women flirting with him are invariably going to be hideous monsters in reality. This isn't the first time.

-Neil & Odie are the new Frog Bros. (The episode had several shades of The Lost Boys in fact.) Once again, Neil saves the day. (Sorta.)

-Atlanta's wrist bows have the potential for real damage after all.

-I think I see why it's not on in the states. There are some good violent bits. When Jay reared up and stabbed the vampire in the back, all I could think was we're a long way from the old GI Joe cartoons where no punches were ever thrown.

No updates on the web tonight. It was a 'look for a job' day.

I may have to stop this project. The fans are scaring me.

In doing research on the characters, I have learned that nearly all of the hits are fanfiction. And it's not nice fanfic (is there such a thing?), it's all Shippers (A term I learned here, eerily enough). Archie/Theresa, Jay/Theresa/Atlanta... Neil/Herry?? :nonp: There is a forum on TV.com, and the discussions are almost all who-should-be-dating-who. I think I may have stepped into a world I never intended... :angst.

Most fic is like that. Don't worry about it.