What pre-5th Edition Hero books do you still use?

Re: What pre-5th Edition Hero books do you still use?

In the Seeker vs Nighthawk debate, I see one thing missing: Crusader!!!

I gave up on most of the Champions Universe characters in the first few years of my GMing. So the whole 4th Ed. vs 5th Ed. Champions Universe debate is null and void to me.

"Aaron Allston's Strike Force" is still a book I use, albeit indirectly. I learned more about maintaining a long-running game from that book than any other.

My original "Champions" mentor has come back to the group after being away for over sixteen years. Thing is, he'd been away from "Champions"/Hero games that whole time. So he completely missed the BBB. He's going from the light blue paperback 3rd Ed. Champions to FrED! That was a system shock.

There's an excellent 4E writeup of Crusader in the Dark Champions supplement Underworld Enemies. That's the version I sort of keep in the back of my mind in case I ever want to use the character. Yes I still have and use almost all the 4E Dark Champions stuff for source material.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to ask?

ROBOT WARRIORS, baby.

Out of curiousity, do you use that in any kind of regular Hero game, of any edition, or as a stand-alone game? It's not particluarly compatible, but I could see someone using another set of rules for the "out-of-robot" sequences while using the Robot Warriors for BIG ROBOT MAYHEM!

I gave up on most of the Champions Universe characters in the first few years of my GMing. So the whole 4th Ed. vs 5th Ed. Champions Universe debate is null and void to me.

I don't run in the Champions *universe*, but having the so many published characters is handy, so I use a lot of 'em. Thing is, I treat 'em as published *power sets* more than anything else - I almost universally trash the backgrounds and write my own. Maybe there's a wisp of the original story in there, but usually no more.

Out of curiousity' date=' do you use that in any kind of regular Hero game, of any edition, or as a stand-alone game? It's not particluarly compatible, but I could see someone using another set of rules for the "out-of-robot" sequences while using the Robot Warriors for BIG ROBOT MAYHEM![/quote']

That's similar to the approach that Chris Goodwin has taken to blending the original RW rules with HERO Fifth: http://home.comcast.net/~archer7/rw2hero.html

BTW and FWIW, my RPG conversion list (link in my signature) has a section compiling all the updates of older HERO material that I've been able to find on the Internet. If interested, click and scroll down to "HERO SYSTEM (Pre-Fifth Edition."

I use:

-High Tech Enemies (A tweaked version of the Destruction Company, and the Wormhole gang recast as Starjammer type pirates)

-Classic Enemies (mostly Bullet and Big John)

-Allies (The Cyberknights, and the Flashmen are so much fun)