HELP UNDERSTANDING A SIMPLE RULE

JmOz

An AK or CK is really just a specialized subset of a KS.

In other words - to my way of thinking - they're the same skill type.

The only reason I can think of that they are devided into two distinct categories is to accomodate the existence of the scholar and traveler skill enhancers, which are, by definition, distinct.

Science and Professional skills are somewhat different in that they have more immediate, practical applications, but in fact, they also represent a specialized form of knowledge and, as such, have their own skill distinct skill enhancers as well.

Originally posted by D-Man

An AK or CK is really just a specialized subset of a KS.

In other words - to my way of thinking - they're the same skill type.

The only reason I can think of that they are devided into two distinct categories is to accomodate the existence of the scholar and traveler skill enhancers, which are, by definition, distinct.

I understand AK & CK, my problem is this:

What is the difference between

KS: New York City

CuK: New York City

I understand CK: New York is the city itself, how to get to 5th street and where to get the best hot dog...

Originally posted by JmOz

I understand CK: New York is the city itself, how to get to 5th street and where to get the best hot dog...

I don't think there is a difference between them. They're the same skill IMHO. They just have different prefixes for the purpose of discerning whether or not you get a kickback on the cost.

The only way a KS would differ would be if you made it more specific, such as: KS: New York Government, KS: New York History, KS: New York Underworld. Then it would be a different skill (or really, a more specialized version of the skill).

Originally posted by JmOz

To me, I'd divide those up as follows

KS: New York City would give you answers to History questions, trivia, and other knowledge type things. You'd be able to tell who the mayor is, how the city council is set up, things like that.

CK: NYC would give you information on where things are, how to get around, where to get things, streetwise (complimentary) type stuff. This would be more every day type things; You'd use CuK as a complimentary to Streetwise to know which member of the City Council you need to bribe, for instance.

D

Originally posted by misterdeath

To me, I'd divide those up as follows

KS: New York City would give you answers to History questions, trivia, and other knowledge type things. You'd be able to tell who the mayor is, how the city council is set up, things like that.

CK: NYC would give you information on where things are, how to get around, where to get things, streetwise (complimentary) type stuff. This would be more every day type things; You'd use CuK as a complimentary to Streetwise to know which member of the City Council you need to bribe, for instance.

D

That's how I've always divided it myself.

KS tells you WHAT

AK/CK tells you WHERE

You wouldn't have CuK: New York City. You'd have CuK: People of New York. It's not about the place, it's about the population.

For example, KS: New York City would tell you things like when it was founded and that it's the third-most populous city in the world, and stuff like that. CK: New York City would tell you the fastest way to get to the airport during rush hour, which neighborhoods are better than others, etc. CuK: New Yorkers tells you about how New Yorkers are likely to behave, what kinds of music they tend to listen to, what sorts of things they think are funny, etc.

I will try to illustrate the way I look at things via the (imaginary) Strange Tribes of Tollala

AK: Tollala - This area is a rainforest, consisting of small tribal bands of humans and the usual 'jungle' variety of flora and Fauna.

KS: Tollala - Located in the southern region of Africa, the small province is rather undeveloped and uncivilized.

PS: Tollala - Although primitive, the area is abundant with natural remedies and a small vein of diamonds that need to be mined in a certain way.

CuK: Tollala - The Tribes of Tollala believe any gestures with the right hand is offensive.

KS: Hamilton -- You know the city began as a fort during the early indian wars, still has an operating "car hop" named Jolly's, and that its two biggest tourist attractions are the Soldier & Sailor's monument and the annual antique car parade. You know that no Democrat holds an elected position.

AK: Hamilton -- You know where the three locations of Jolly's in town are located and where the last segment of the old fort is preserved. You know how to find the school the car parade begins at. You can probably direct people to the poll locations on election day.

CuK: Hamilton -- You know WHY there are no Democrats in elected offices here. You know that the local high school has a MAJOR rivalry with a nearby Catholic school that has resulted in violence several times over the last few years. You know that the city's antique car parade is one of the nation's oldest, but that most locals couldn't care less. You know that Jolly's sells Pepsi products even though they list only Root Beer on the menu...

CK (City Knowledge) is not like Streetwise. CK is most useful in car chases or such. You know that to get to 5th street quickly you need to go certain routes. I might even that it would help you know what streets are under construction.

KS: New York would tell you general information on NY. Where the best hot dog is etc.

Cuk: Would tell you what the people of NY are like, what would the standed NY do in a certain situation, where and what they like to eat etc.

AK: Would give you very general information about the NY.

CK would be had by fireman, Police officers, emergency rescue personel, Pizza delivery boys, etc.

Don't give another skill such as streetwise to CK. If they want streetwise they should be streetwise.

Originally posted by austenandrews

I used to make distinctions, such as "KS means you know something, PS means you can apply it professionally," etc. But I've since given that up. It rarely comes into play. Easier just to say they're all basically the same thing, and let the specific character determine how to shade it.

-AA

True in some genres, not in others. In, say, a modern conspiracy campaign such distinctions can be rather important. I'd agrue a grandmaster should have both KS and PS Chess, for example.

Well, I don't think there's a hard and fast difference between these skills. In fact, some of the specific skills intrude to a degree.

For example, Combat Driving overlaps with PS: Racing Driver, in terms of knowing how to handle a vehicle at speed in difficult conditions. Combat Driving has more game-related applications, but the PS gives you a knowledge of race tactics, car tolerances etc as well.

I'd say that the PS would also give you a broad idea of the mechanics (and possibly electronics) involved in vehicles, a bit of knowledge about the background to the sport, major names in the business, a general knowledge about makes of car (especially sports cars), etc.

However, KS: Motor Sport gives you a lot more information and detail on some of those topics, as would KS: Cars. A lot of 12 year olds can recite details about top speeds of Ferraris.

In some cases, the relevant skill would be Mechanics or Electronics, but it's conceivable you could have a KS in them, reflecting knowledge of, but no practical skill in the subjects.

I think it's this overlap which causes some of the confusion or uncertainty.

Back on topic, the AK or CK would let you know where the Empire State Building is, or the fastest route to the Golden Gate Bridge at this time of day. You might also know some details of the city etc. The KS is more focussed on when the ESB was started and who designed the Bridge, but would tell you that the Statue is on Liberty Island and roughly where that is.

I'm not sure I like the CuK. It seems to be yet another background skill (and generally they aren't THAT useful), without really adding much. There's no reason not to make it a KS if you really need specifics. I suppose there's no harm IF you agree with my contention about the inherent overlap, otherwise you'd get bogged down in some really tedious arguments.

Hope you find this helpful,

KS (Knowledge Skill): KS: NY gives you SCHOLARLY knowledge of NY. Things like NY's history, important events, people, would be covered by this.

Cuk (Cultural Knowledge): Cuk: NY (i.e. Cuk: New Yorkers) would give you an understanding of NY's people, their customs, what pisses them off,etc. (John Rocker would not have this skill :)

AK (Area Knowledge): AK: NY differs from KS: NY in that someone with a KS: NY may know important details about New York, but someone with AK has been there, knows it well and can find his way around without much hassle (he's the guy you want when you need to find the nearest bathroom)

CK (City Knowledge): This is just a specialized version of AK. CK: Manhattan for example would give the character in question intimate familiarity with the cities layout.

And I agree that neither AK nor CK should be used in place of Streetwise, although in most situations they should probably be first in line for complimentary rolls to it.

MANCER

I'm not sure I like the CuK. It seems to be yet another background skill (and generally they aren't THAT useful), without really adding much. There's no reason not to make it a KS if you really need specifics. I suppose there's no harm IF you agree with my contention about the inherent overlap, otherwise you'd get bogged down in some really tedious arguments.

My group usually doesn't distinguish between, for example, KS: France and CuK: French, but I can see where it may be useful (perhaps even add a bit depth to) a fantasy, sci-fi game or other genre where PCs may be encountering lots of strange or unfamiliar races. After all knowing about the strange pointy eared emotionally challenged aliens is a lot different than dealing with them :)

MANCER