Wuxia Boomerang Build

Funksaw

How would you build a boomerang that has a chance of hitting the target on the return - but not if the boomerang hits on the first attempt? I'm thinking that it would build something like this:

Direct Boomarang Attack: Killing Attack, Ranged 1d6 <15AP> <15RP>

Boomerang Return: Killing Attack, Ranged 1d6, Indirect (same origin, any direction; +1/2) <22AP>; Linked - Direct Boomerang Attack(-1/2), Inaccurate 1/2 OCV (-1/4), does not work if Direct Boomerang Attack hits (-1/2) <10RP>

What do you guys think?

Re: Wuxia Boomerang Build

I like the build you have myself.

But if you're just wanting to rattle around some odd ideas for inspiration, perhaps some kind of "anti-linked" disadvantage?

Or maybe a modified contol cost (advantage/disadvantage) for a Multipower?

Though I'm curious to know if this 'return attack' would occur on the same phase as the initial attack attempt, the next segment, or the next phase....

Oh-- I think you may have to include "Independant" on the return attack, or perhaps trigger---

Hey! that's it, I think. Trigger: first attack misses

Anyway, I think if you don't include one of these-- Independant or Trigger-- then are you not 'trading' the return attack in leiu of your next attack phase?

I'm asking because I'm kind of curious how you have this pictured......

I like the build you have myself.

But if you're just wanting to rattle around some odd ideas for inspiration, perhaps some kind of "anti-linked" disadvantage?

Or maybe a modified contol cost (advantage/disadvantage) for a Multipower?

Though I'm curious to know if this 'return attack' would occur on the same phase as the initial attack attempt, the next segment, or the next phase....

Oh-- I think you may have to include "Independant" on the return attack, or perhaps trigger---

Hey! that's it, I think. Trigger: first attack misses

Anyway, I think if you don't include one of these-- Independant or Trigger-- then are you not 'trading' the return attack in leiu of your next attack phase?

I'm asking because I'm kind of curious how you have this pictured......

Trigger would be the right one to use.

Deh... two thoughts spring to mind.

First, I understand you're modeling this as something that attacks more than once, yes? There's rules for that somewhere - I think in either FH or DC, basically you "summon" the item and it keeps going until it hits and then stops (or in your case, returns).

Second, you simply build a boomerang and define it with the SFX, "returns when thrown" and not sweat the rest, unless (clearly) you're attempting to give the boomerang its own action and SPD (it attacks, it misses, it comes back and attacks again) which I would put Extra Time & Restrainable (boomerang can be caught or otherwise stopped), along with Real Weapon (it's a boomerang!) and Trigger (+1/4, probably, but I'm too lazy too look it up).

I'm with Zed and Thia. Those were my first thoughts on reading the original post - encourage the GM to add that to combat descriptions randomly' date=' or define a situation like "if I roll a 3, 4 or 5 it hits on the return".[/quote']

Ah; I see.

Perhaps I was reading it incorrectly. If it's just a flavor thing, than this is the easiest way to go, period.

When I read the first post, I was assuming the player was trying to build a 'second chance' type of attack, in which case there would need to be an actual second attack.

Hmm... *if* the idea is to hurl a boomerang weapon at your foe and have it either:

A) Hit on the initial throw, or

B) Miss and then possibly hit when on the return back...

I'd consider "Trigger", in which missing a foes Triggers a second attack equal in power to the first (with Limitations representing the idea the Triggered attack can only hit certain foes in a certain arc, and so on).

A second idea, useable if you;re trying to build things like Tessa's huge propeller weapon, is some form of AOE: Line or AOE: Any.

Hmm... *if* the idea is to hurl a boomerang weapon at your foe and have it either:

A) Hit on the initial throw, or

B) Miss and then possibly hit when on the return back...

I'd consider "Trigger", in which missing a foes Triggers a second attack equal in power to the first (with Limitations representing the idea the Triggered attack can only hit certain foes in a certain arc, and so on).

A second idea, useable if you;re trying to build things like Tessa's huge propeller weapon, is some form of AOE: Line or AOE: Any.

Hmm... Actually, AOE: ANY would be particularly appropriate as part of a multipower for the "loops around in a circle and hits a whole bunch of bad guys" deal but... well, let's say that you had an AOE: Any of 9 hexes... could you use that to attack five hexes out in a straight line, and then come back and attack the four hexes you just passed through again?

I'm trying to establish which it is. From a simplicity perspective, you just build it AOE: One Hex (Accurate) and call it good. If you truly want to build it as a 'Second Chance' as Duke suggests, then as was said before (and echoed by Michael) that is in fact a Trigger.

Funky: Nope' date=' you'd go to the end of all 9 hexes and then build the weapon as an OIF - hence as an SFX it always winds up back in your hands.[/quote']

I'd say OAF for that. After all, a gun never -leaves- your hands, and that's an OAF.

I agree with Thia;

Because a real something can be grabbed doesn't mean that the one your character is weilding in a fantasy game can be grabbed. It is up to the designer as to whether or not something can be grabbed. If the weapon is built as OIF, then by it's very defination, it _can't_ be grabbed, at least not without some planning. Perhaps it's spinning too fast, or flying too quickly, or the amazing skills of its wielder allow him to throw it in such a fashion that it zig-zags all over the field before and after striking its target.

I had a character in a supers game years ago who had a pair of enchanted pistols that he could hide anywhere on his person and could never lose. They never had to be reloaded either. And the reason for this was that I bought them as a straight EB. No Limitations. No Focus, no Real Weapon. The pistols were purely SFX. This boomerang could be built the same way.

That's the distinction. When you build it, assuming GM permission, you get to decide what the drawbacks are right then.

Exactly right - OIF is assisting in defining the SFX; sure, if you're knocked out and 'disarmed' I (the DM) can take away your weapon for dramatic purposes, but you'll get it back in short order.

Also, for a great example of this, you have both Mad Max (the finger scene), Xena (Chakram, which you saw, like, once an episode) and of course Blade, who wielded almost the exact same weapon. All of them have the same traits - nasty, sharp, cut things apart, catchable only by the thrower, not disarmable.

That's an OIF (see also my sig - Steve Long has said on multiple occassions that OIF is the very lim that you're looking for, since it allows you to build the SFX "throw and return"). However, it IS a limitation, because under specific conditions it can be taken away (taken prisoner, dramatically stuck in a wall, etc.)

BTW: That's a really niff concept Duke. It immediately made me think of a 'computer generated hero' ala the old TV series that I've since forgotten the name of - instead of firing 'energy blasts' he 'summons' a pair of pistols (extra time to draw them into place) and starts running & gunning. Very cool.

Thanks, Thia.

The character was a lot of fun, actually. It was for a low-level Dark Champions thing way back when (not my favorite, but as most GMs can attest, _any_ chance to be a player is good thing!) and he had a couple of other 'different approaches' to situations.

I found that six inches of Teleport with Invisible Effects made the exact type of Stealth I was looking for, as well as provide a nifty way out of locked rooms, being handcuffed to something, etc: "I got away."

Now I have freely admitted in the past-- and do so again now-- that my group never really left 2e. I don't post characters and such simply because most of what I have to offer is of no real use to anyone outside our group.

With that in mind, I have found that a lot of 'stumbling blocks' in power design seem to be rooted in a desire to 'over-build' something. The example of the pistols above (and if you remember the name of that show, let me know; you've got my interest up): I have seen players want to build something similar, but they end up going with 'summon' and then building the weapon with concealment, focus, etc---

all to get what is essentially the same effect of a completely unmodified power.

Not to say that is going on with the boomerang, of course; it would really help if the original poster would flesh in how he pictures the weapon being used.....

I think it's probably best to consider the boomerang as one attack that takes an SFX of "two swipes."

Cost Power

31 Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots 12 Recoverable Charges (+1/4) (62 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

2u 1) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (2d6 w/STR), Ranged (+1/2), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1)

2u 2) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Area Of Effect (16" Any Area; +1 3/4) (41 Active Points); OAF (-1)

Powers Cost: 35

• 6 years later...

The game effect is that the boomerang only hits once, but may be more difficult to avoid on the return, hence I suggest buying only one Indirect attack. Let the GM decide whether the 'rang hit to or fro.

Those who want a realistic 'rang only get it back right away if it hits nothing.