Legion of Super-Pets

Vestnik

I've been reading some of the old Silver Age DC comics they have online at http://www.superman.ws/superman-comics/ . Has anybody ever tried writing up Krypto, Comet, Beppo, and Streaky? It would be kind of cool, in a warped way, to update them to the Iron Age and run them against the Authority (which I've never read, but have read about on these boards). :P

I still can't get over that Supergirl married a horse. That is just wrong.

Re: Legion of Super-Pets

I had completely forgotten about Proty. Don't remember anything about him actually.

I think, inspired by Oddhat's impressive retooling of the Defenders as supervillians, that I am going to come up with a villainous, Iron-Agey version of the Legion of Super-Pets. Dark Legion of Super-Pets, as it were.

Let's see -- Streaky can be some sort of mutant sabre-toothed tiger, Comet a Nightmare, Krypto a demon hound of some sort and Beppo a variety of giant carnivorous ape.

This may have potential!

Surely (and stop calling me Shirley) the Krypto analog would be more of a Dire wolf / Fenris Wolf of legend - The Wolf that destroys reality at Armagedon? He's supposed to be tougher than Beppo or Streaky after all.

Which makes Proty (he was a morphing blob belonging to Chameleon Boy) a sot of Proto-Kuthulu Shoggoth???

Do you remember when Marvelman was resurrected in the UK back in the 1980's? he had to change his name to Miracleman due to DC's legal eagles?. Well, there was a shape changing beast created by Miracle mans enemy Dr... Sivana? (I forget and i've not got access to my comics). It went from cute fuzzy pup to 500kg steel chewing hell beast at the word of command. The word being 'SteppenWolf'. If you want to see a nasty dog based animal, check that out. Science based form change.

Comet, a flying super horse who, under the influence of a comet, can change back into the form of a man from whence he came. Abilities are magic based.

Hmmm, then there's Sleipnir, Wotan/Wodin/Odin's 8 legged horse which travels between the 9 worlds of reality and is superspeed flying brick. An alien.

Lots of potential here.

Can't rely on European myths for Beppo. No apes in Europe.

I'm thinking some kind of maxed-out Lovecraftian African Ape God, as in that story the name of which I can't remember, with some Rovert E. Howard touches.

Maybe Streaky can have an Egyptian theme. But cats were symbols of good in Egypt, so maybe that won't work. Some sort of big cat twisted by black magic? Aztec jaguar! That's it!

I've been reading some of the old Silver Age DC comics they have online at http://www.superman.ws/superman-comics/ . Has anybody ever tried writing up Krypto, Comet, Beppo, and Streaky? It would be kind of cool, in a warped way, to update them to the Iron Age and run them against the Authority (which I've never read, but have read about on these boards). :P

I had completely forgotten about Proty. Don't remember anything about him actually.

I think, inspired by Oddhat's impressive retooling of the Defenders as supervillians, that I am going to come up with a villainous, Iron-Agey version of the Legion of Super-Pets. Dark Legion of Super-Pets, as it were.

Let's see -- Streaky can be some sort of mutant sabre-toothed tiger, Comet a Nightmare, Krypto a demon hound of some sort and Beppo a variety of giant carnivorous ape.

This may have potential!

Sounds like a groovy idea. The LoSP rocks. :)

I have a Digital Hero article something like this that I need to finish, and a few Super Pet write ups. Here's one tribute to Krypto I did for my New Circle games.

Yep. Indonesian and South American Myth, Cats are major wampum bad dudes.

As for Beppo, moderen literature has a whole slew of intelligent apes, from the tarzan stories onwards, King Kong and Son of kong included. Not mentioning DC's Gorilla Grodd, Golden Ape and Titano etc.

Hmmm, African Ape. South American Cat, American Dog, European Horse and then Proty becomes some sort of Asian Snake shape changer? It's a regular UN here.

Sounds like a groovy idea. The LoSP rocks. :)

I have a Digital Hero article something like this that I need to finish, and a few Super Pet write ups. Here's one tribute to Krypto I did for my New Circle games.

Awesome Oddhat! Thanks a bunch.

Sleeping world, the Dark Legion of Super-Pets doth come on fiery paws and hooves of destruction. The day of reckoning is upon thee. Doom trots and scampers across the horizon. :sneaky:

Hmmm, African Ape. South American Cat, American Dog, European Horse and then Proty becomes some sort of Asian Snake shape changer? It's a regular UN here.

Evil knows no nationality. :)

I picture Proty as some kind of primal ooze from beyond the damn of time. Maybe he started the Legion. Although Krypto was first in comics.

That's why you don't need to upgrade Comet to the Iron Age.

Let's face it, you've got a hawt teenager married to a freakin' stallion. This is grosser than most things you would ever want to think about.

For extra grossness along these lines:

* what if Superman married Lori Lemaris? (The word "cloaca" may be of value here.)

* what if Jayna from the Superfriends adopted the shape of a Blue Space Monkey?

At this point I suggest applying sulphuric acid to your frontal lobes. It worked for me.

And, not only is all of this incredibly gross - the resulting team could probably own the Authority.

That's why you don't need to upgrade Comet to the Iron Age.

Let's face it, you've got a hawt teenager married to a freakin' stallion. This is grosser than most things you would ever want to think about.

What with that, the Wonder Woman bondage obsession, and the Batman/Robin thing, I think the evidence is clear that Silver Age DC writers were sexually Just Not Right.

And, not only is all of this incredibly gross - the resulting team could probably own the Authority.

Beppo by himself could probably own the Authority. ;)

If I were going to stat them out at full Silver Age level, I'd give Superman a max STR (with his VPP feeding his STR) on the order of 240+ (dude can move worlds when he puts his Flight into it). That puts Beppo and Krypto in the same range (235-245+, as Beppo may have been stronger), and possibly Comet as well if his STR was full Kryptonian level (255+). Streaky would have a STR around 230+, and Proty II had full shape shifting plus telepathy.

Those numbers are probably unplayable in most Champions games, but I'd still put Streaky at just under the strongest brick in a setting and Beppo and Commet right up at the campaign's top limits. ;)

What with that' date=' the Wonder Woman bondage obsession, and the Batman/Robin thing, I think the evidence is clear that Silver Age DC writers were sexually Just Not Right.[/quote']

Freud had the right idea about Libido. You repress, it still leeks out somehow.

Beppo by himself could probably own the Authority. ;)

If I were going to stat them out at full Silver Age level, I'd give Superman a max STR (with his VPP feeding his STR) on the order of 240+ (dude can move worlds when he puts his Flight into it). That puts Beppo and Krypto in the same range (235-245+, as Beppo may have been stronger), and possibly Commet as well if his STR was full Kryptonian level (255+). Straky would have a STR around 230+, and Proty II had full shape shifting plus telepathy.

Those numbers are probably unplayable in most Champions games, but I'd still put Steaky at just under the strongest brick in a setting and Beppo and Commet right up at the campaign's top limits. ;)

IIRC, Beppo also evolved into a King Kong sized gorilla. If you gave him 8 or 10 levles of growth he can turn on and off --

Also IIRC Beppo, Comet and Streaky were unaffected by kryptonite.

IIRC, Beppo also evolved into a King Kong sized gorilla. If you gave him 8 or 10 levles of growth he can turn on and off --

Also IIRC Beppo, Comet and Streaky were unaffected by kryptonite.

Comet should have been immune to Kryptonite; he had (apparently Kryptonian level) magic based powers, and Streaky got her powers from "Kryptonite X". Beppo was actually a Kryptonian monkey, one of the El family's many unfortunate randomly shot into space pets.

(OK, he was a test animal; I just loke the image of Jor-El randomly grabbing family pets and launching them into space) ;)

OK, here are my tentative ideas for the Dark Legion of Super-Pets line-up. I'm thinking of building them on between 500 and 800 points, depending. I'll see how it works out in the designing process.

Krypto: Fenris Wolf-type, can grow to enormous sizes (how does one write up a "Swallow Whole" power?).

Bleppo: Dark Priest of a Lost City of African Super-Apes. Brick with Control the Jungle powers. Don't want to Growth characters in one group, so the King Kong trope is out.

Streaky: Aztec jade jaguar statuette brought to life. Scrapper with mystic powers of some sort (didn't Streaky get his powers from a ball of yarn or something? I have to factor that in).

Comet: Nightmare motif (D&D nightmare, that is). Probably psychic powers, primarily. Not sure how to work in the morph to human when there is a comet around bit.

Proty: Proty, the Crawling Chaos. Primal ooze predating mankind enfused with great magical powers. Metamorph with a Magic VPP as well. Probably the leader of the Dark Legion of Super-Pets. (Dark Krypto is more powerful, of course, but Proty has him on some kind of leash, ha-ha.)

Streaky: Aztec jade jaguar statuette brought to life. Scrapper with mystic powers of some sort (didn't Streaky get his powers from a ball of yarn or something? I have to factor that in).

His piece of Kryptonite X was originally just lying in the woods where Supergirl tossed it, though the ball of yarn thing sounds right. From a mechanics POV, why not make the (imobile) Jade Jaguar Statuette the always existing power source, and Evil Streaky a transformed house cat? That way, if Evil Streaky gets killed or captured, you can always have some villain or other get hold of the statuette and start again. For an even weirder build, make the statuette the character, with Summon for Evil Streaky and a mind link to keep in contact with him, maybe with the SFX that the Summon transforms a local cat? That allows the players to capture or kill Evil Streaky only to have him show up again the next day.

The Bestiary has rules on swallowing things whole.

His piece of Kryptonite X was originally just lying in the woods where Supergirl tossed it, though the ball of yarn thing sounds right. From a mechanics POV, why not make the (imobile) Jade Jaguar Statuette the always existing power source, and Evil Streaky a transformed house cat? That way, if Evil Streaky gets killed or captured, you can always have some villain or other get hold of the statuette and start again. For an even weirder build, make the statuette the character, with Summon for Evil Streaky and a mind link to keep in contact with him, maybe with the SFX that the Summon transforms a local cat? That allows the players to capture or kill Evil Streaky only to have him show up again the next day.

The Bestiary has rules on swallowing things whole.

Don't have the Bestiary, will likely never have the Bestiary. I'll think of something. Probably some sort of Entangle.

I am liking the transformed housecat ideas.

* what if Superman married Lori Lemaris? (The word "cloaca" may be of value here.)

"Hello, room service? This is Clark and Lori Kent in the Honeymoon Suite. Could you send someone up with some tartar sauce?"

* what if Jayna from the Superfriends adopted the shape of a Blue Space Monkey?

Reminds me of this little ditty.

Jayna: Robin... I just caught Zan spanking the monkey.

Robin: Holy sinful simians! Has Gleek been misbehaving?

Jayna: Whosaid anything about Gleek?