Legion of Super-Pets

Vestnik

Re: Legion of Super-Pets

Comet: Nightmare motif (D&D nightmare' date=' that is). Probably psychic powers, primarily. Not sure how to work in the morph to human when there is a comet around bit.[/quote']

Well, if you don't mind taking some liberties, maybe as a Nightmare he can only manifest physically at night. At dawn, he has to possess a nearby sentient (therefore, most often, a human), or maybe the nearest dreaming human, or something. Still turns into a human, sorta; still tied to an astronomical phenomenon. You could drop the frequency by associating it with the full moons or something, instead (or whatever other astronomical dealie you can associate with a nightmare being weakened).

Wish I'd posted before Oddhat's possessed-kitties idea, cuz you probably won't want to use both on the same team.

Thanks Transmetahuman. I like that idea for Comet.

Thus far I have:

Beppo Muhaba Mimbe (great ape magician)

The Jade Streak (discussed above)

Coma (the nightmare/psychic thing)

and

The Crypt Hound (animated skeleton of Fenris Wolf or some other pseudomythical giant canine I will make up)

I need a name for Proty. Proteus is too obvious.

And Morpheous was taken? Also Metamorpho... Running out of possibilities here. How about a title like 'The Amorph"? Who is only ever mentioned or spoken of in the 3rd person' date=' as it's personality is so unknowable?[/quote']

Nyarlathotep?

I just want to get the letters "pro" in there somewhere.

Hmmm. I wonder if Thor would have qualified for membership in the Legion of Super-Pets?

Maybe if Mort Weisinger paid any attention to the properties that DC bought.

No, not Thor, I mean Manhunter's dog (who himself was an android) - "No Dog Escapes the Dogcatcher"?

I love the idea of a "dark" Legion of Super-Pets; that's not only taking the Pets seriously, it's making them seriously frightening!

I've been doing some research on the Inuat, the unbodied and malevolent spirits of Inuit belief, and I thought that some of their dog/wolf creatures might make an effective origin for "dark Krypto."

Adlet Ten children were once born to an Inuit woman and a red dog. And of these children, five were dogs who crossed the seas to engender the European races. The other five children were the Adlet, wolf-monsters that drink blood, and their offspring are the flesh-eating shape-changers known as the Erqigdlit (singular: Erqigdluq).

Akhlut is a spirit that takes the form of both a wolf and a whale. It is a vicious, dangerous beast, and its tracks appear as wolf tracks that lead to and from the ocean.

Amarok is a giant wolf in Inuit mythology. It will hunt down and devour anyone foolish enough to hunt alone at night. Sometimes considered equivalent to the Waheela, a wolf-like cryptid reported from Nahanni Valley in the Northwest Territories of Canada.

[The waheela might actually BE a prehistoric bear-dog (an Amphicyonid), or perhaps a Dire Wolf (Canis dirus), a creature that co-existed with the gray wolf in North America during the Pleistocene. The waheela is reported to travel alone and not in packs as modern wolves do.]

Keelut is an evil chthonic spirit who resembles a hairless dog.

Amarok is a giant wolf in Inuit mythology. It will hunt down and devour anyone foolish enough to hunt alone at night. Sometimes considered equivalent to the Waheela, a wolf-like cryptid reported from Nahanni Valley in the Northwest Territories of Canada.

[The waheela might actually BE a prehistoric bear-dog (an Amphicyonid), or perhaps a Dire Wolf (Canis dirus), a creature that co-existed with the gray wolf in North America during the Pleistocene. The waheela is reported to travel alone and not in packs as modern wolves do.]

Thanks a lot for the input.

I think I'm going to go with the giant skeleton hound idea. I like the image of a 50-foot-tall cadaverous zombie hound who can breath great gouts of flame and cold (that is, heat-ray vision and super-breath).

I'm going to try to write up the first one of these guys this weekend. Probably Streaky because he's got the simplest power set (in my interpretation, he's a speedster with vicious Killing Attacks).

Part of a super villain team alond with Zan' date=' Jayna, Wendy, and Marvin. Life with the Superfriends can do terrible things to a child. ;)[/quote']

That's right. They're a whole other team entirely.

A very evil and powerful one: the Super Enemies.

Well, the oldest of them all is, strangely, the prototype Streaky. :)

In the 1930 novel Gladiator, Prof. Danner tests his formula on a pregnant cat before using it on his pregnant wife and unborn son. He drowns all but one of the newborn kittens. The kitten that lives has Super Strength, Invulnerability, Super Leaping, and some Super Speed. Its depredations include slaughtering local livestock and destroying much property, as well as terifying Mrs. Danner. Eventually the Prof kills it with poison.