How do you figure leaping distance in enclosed areas?

Demonsong

How do you figure leaping distance in enclosed areas?

Obviously you can’t leap 10†forward in a room with a 2†ceiling. So how do you figure it? I was thinking 1†forward for every 1†up, plus 1†forward for every 1†down so you could leap 3†in a room with a 2†ceiling.

What are your thoughts?

I can t find any thing making it clearer in Fred, did I miss it?

Thanks

Re: How do you figure leaping distance in enclosed areas?

Originally posted by Demonsong

What are your thoughts?

Unless you're running a very realistic game, I wouldn't worry about it. :) There are lots of things about how leaping works in the HERO System that are obviously unrealistic, but it's kept simple for game play's sake.

Your idea makes sense Demonsong if you are looking to create a realistic feel to the game. I only begin to get into such ideas about leaping if they are in a very confined space (like a tunnel) or if they are trying to leap down a hallway where there are already alot of people clogging the place up.

If you want some 'realism' behind it, imagine that someone with superleap can leap 'faster' than most people, so the more superleap you have, the farther you can travel before feeling the effects of gravity - sort of like the difference between lobbing and chucking a baseball.

I have a guide to ballistics on my site at http://fitz.jsr.com/roleplay/ballistics/ballistics.html which demonstrates how high you have to jump to jump a given distance, if you want to work it out more-or-less exactly.

Personally, I haven't found it to be a huge issue, but if you have a Leaper it wouldn't be too much trouble to figure out maximum horizontal leaping distances for a range of possible ceiling heights, and keep them noted on the character sheet somewhere.

Try watching the Hulk, great graphical representation superleap. LOL

Don't forget springboard effects. If a character uses a wall as a springboard, I don't think the height limitation would be required.... Of course the logistics of using a wall, might requiring the climbing skill, or the clinging power. ;)

The rule in 4E was that you could leap 2" horizontal for each 1" of vertical head room. So if you have 2" of head room you can leap 4" in distance.

This would probably be a good question to ask Steve though, so that we can get an official answer and get it added to the FAQ.

I assume that a leaper can make either one big leap or several smaller leaps at his choice when he crosses X terrain.

So in a tunnel he would make several hops.

In the open he might make one big hop.

Now, maybe if he is in a tunnel but leaping over a gap like the pit to the underworld, then i would just limit him to a length equal to twice the height.