[Campeign Creation Project] Pirates of the Naebbirac Astroid Belt

JmOz

OK, I'm project manager =)

Seriously, for those who don't remember the last time I did one of these (and it has been a couple of years) the idea is simple, we're going to create a resourse for the Hero Gaming Community, this time around a setting for Star Hero called "The Pirates of the Naebbirac Astroid Belt". The rules are simple, everyone shows respect to each other, any one can post any ideas they have, if I like them I put them into "the living document", which I post with some regularity (normaly I double post it, current version as an edit to the first post and also at the end so we can see how it evolves)

So what is The Pirates of the Naebbirac Astroid Belt going to be like?

I'm seeing a Space Opera/pulp setting, kind of "Pirates of the Caribbean in space" (read the name of the astoid belt backwards). I want lots of laser sword fights, bording actions, etc...

As for the setting I am seeing a series of large astroids and planetoids with very few real planets. The area should be fairly contested because of the value various intersteller empires put on the resources found here (I'm thinking of a hyperdrive enabling metal being found in the belt)

Player Characters should be built on 75+75 and follow the rules for heroic (alien races will be coming)...

Okay guys, lets get to work =)

--------Living Document---------

The Pirates of the Naebbirac Astroid Belt

ver. 1

The Pirates of the Naebbirac Astroid Belt is a heroic level campeign for Star Hero, while not part of the Hero Universe Time Line it could easily be converted into a Terrian Empire game.

Pirates takes place in the Naebbirac Astroid Belt, an area far from the seats of power of the various empires that have an interest in (Metal) that is found in great abundance in the belt. As there are no major planets in the area settlers have built cities on large astroids and micro-planets through out the region.

The threat of pirates is a very real thing in Naebbirac, as each nation has sent out letters of Marque to help them control the rare (metal)

Re: [Campeign Creation Project] Pirates of the Naebbirac Astroid Belt

I always like to start at the basics and work up. We need to define how everything works - what is the technology base, and how does it interact with itself?

To start with: we want Pirates. Therefore we have to have a technological and economical climate that will support them. We've already got the main economic requirement, a buyer for what the pirates will bring in, since our pirates are operating under Letters of Marque. We'll assume that their brief is to steal (metal) rather than indiscriminately commerce raid; otherwise they'd just vapourise any targets instead of trying to board.

Technology - how do we prevent freighters just hypering out to prevent attack? The obvious is to lock them in normal space. How? Well, most "hyperdrives" in fiction need to be far enough out from a gravity well to jump out. We also want to make the Naebirrac a pretty big place. So, what say this:

The Naebirrac system consists of four blue-white supergiant stars, orbiting each other closely. The system is very dirty, full of ring after ring of asteroids and planetoids, dust clouds and meteoroids, but no true planets. The combined gravity of the four supergiants so distorts the fabric of space-time as to prevent hyperspace access out to 10 light-days from the centre of the system; standard methods of travel are to use low-impulse ion drives, or if outbound, solarsails. Huge solarsail cargoships, flying off of the ecliptic to avoid the worst of the dust, haul tonnes of the (metal) from the mining and processing nodes out to the big transit stations beyond the limit - and are the natural prey of the privateers.

But those are the domain of the big mining companies. Rock Rat habitats are everywhere, wildcat miners looking for their one big strike. Most don't get that strike - they die in an accident, or give up, or turn real pirate to pay their debts.

The four supergiants have one other major effect. They put out so much radio hash and radiation that radar is unreliable beyond a few kilometers, and radio the same. Nor is lasercomm reliable - too much dust. If you're lucky, you might hit a relay station with an SOS - or you might not. By and large, once you're away from the (few) major habitats and processing nodes, you're on your own.

Good enough for the basics?

Well one thing I'd suggest is placing the belt in a cluster of young, short-life-expectancy (meaning big) stars. The reason why there are no habitable planets is because the planet formation process doesn't have time to run its course before the primary dies, and the resulting novae have created exotic elements. Since the system is in a cloud of collecting gas, and is an irregular variable with lots of solar flare activity, it's difficult to "see" your environment, putting everything in a perpetual fog of war. Ships sometimes find themselves having to take shelter behind a rock for protection against particularly harsh outbursts from the sun.

Perhaps there could also be a central pirate hangout, one you could call... Agutrot?

Hmm, using the name of Tortuga spelled in reverse I can immediately see jokes floating around the starport there about the types of intestinal diseases that might come about if the water filtration systems are poorly maintained. Better bring your bottled water, folks.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy..."

Thinking on the political side of things, the old FASA Star Trek universe had this region called "The Triangle" which sat in this region of stars bordered by Klingon, Romulan and Federation space. It was sort of a no man's land of unclaimed stars.

Perhaps the system of Naebbirac sits in such a region, a sliver of space that isn't really claimed by anyone... yet. Some of the surrounding systems may be colonized by groups that pretty much just want to be left alone by the interstellar empires surrounding them. It would give a wild and woolly frontier feel to things, where Perseids, Thorgons and Humans can roam around (assuming this is Terran Empire space).

Perhaps there could also be a central pirate hangout, one you could call... Agutrot?

Hmm, using the name of Tortuga spelled in reverse I can immediately see jokes floating around the starport there about the types of intestinal diseases that might come about if the water filtration systems are poorly maintained. Better bring your bottled water, folks.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy..."

Definatly a pirate's haven, not sure about the name of it yet, right now I am calling it Haven, but that is a definate working name

Definatly a pirate's haven' date=' not sure about the name of it yet, right now I am calling it Haven, but that is a definate working name[/quote']

One thing it should have is a clinic that provides patients with prosthetic replacements for missing legs, arms and eyes. It's the futuristic version of peglegs and eyepatches.

I have an idea of what kind of setup that would work for the pirates. If you remember 'Firefly' series. The ports of call that the ship landed would be idea. I figure where the ships land would be the pirates would do most of their business due to they would want to be near their ship to take an emergency takeoff if any wrong people show up.

One thing it should have is a clinic that provides patients with prosthetic replacements for missing legs' date=' arms and eyes. It's the futuristic version of peglegs and eyepatches.[/quote']

"Doc Smith", a cyborg doctor, specilising in cybernetics/weapons tech, a touch crazy but brilliant and tends not to use pain killers when performing surgery (Claims that it interferares with the neural conections of the cybernetics

I have an idea of what kind of setup that would work for the pirates. If you remember 'Firefly' series. The ports of call that the ship landed would be idea. I figure where the ships land would be the pirates would do most of their business due to they would want to be near their ship to take an emergency takeoff if any wrong people show up.

Firefly was a great show. If you are talking about the aftermath (selling stolen goods etc) then it is a great idea, if you are talking about the actual taking of booty, then I don't think it is the right feel...

Okay, let's talk weapons. We're talking Pirates, so let's play to the tropes: blaster in one hand, las-cutlass in the other stormings, not space-marine style smg's and assault guns.

So, first we put a lock on ROF of energy guns. Standard blasters use a power cartridge that feeds capacitors, and that takes a measurable amount of time to generate a shot. Lasers are too bulky to be used as sidearms; they can only be used for emplaced weaponry. Projectile guns, hmmm...we could go with a kinetic shield such as the one from Dune. The field does nothing to slow objects, but interdicts any fast moving object. It also cannot affect energy weapons of any kind.

It occurs to me that such a shield, on a larger scale, could serve ships very well in a dirty system, protecting against micrometeorite strikes and dust abrasion. It would also render projectile and missile attacks useless. Further, more powerful versions would prevent the high-speed molecules of a gas from leaking through while allowing space-suited individuals to pass unharmed. No need for bulky, cumbersome airlocks.

Now, to make melee weapons more desirable, let's reduce the effectiveness of blasters. If a pistol does 6d6 normal, and a rifle 8d6, Then lets give the standard spacesuit 15 ED (after all, it has heavy radiation shielding), while combat models have around 20. Thus a person has a good chance of coming out of a hit both alive, and quite possibly conscious. On the other hand, since the suit's kinetic deflection field protects against micrometeoroids, rPD is probably around 5 for standard suits (don't want them too bulky, after all) or 10 for combat models. According to the Arms and Equipment Guide, a scimitar (close enough to a cutlass) is a 1d6+1 weapon. Laser-edged or vibro- versions probably wouldn't do more damage, but I'd add the Armor Piercing advantage, thus making them by far the most effective weapon in a boarding environment.

So, what are we seeing in a boarding action? Attackers spilling out of open bays towards the enemy, blades unsheathed, while their more cautious brethren keep the defender's heads down. Defenders popping up to fire blasts at incoming boarders, then a great melee as the horde reaches the target hull...

I'll work out costs for the suits and guns over the next few days, then post them up.

Okay, let's talk weapons. We're talking Pirates, so let's play to the tropes: blaster in one hand, las-cutlass in the other stormings, not space-marine style smg's and assault guns.

So, first we put a lock on ROF of energy guns. Standard blasters use a power cartridge that feeds capacitors, and that takes a measurable amount of time to generate a shot. Lasers are too bulky to be used as sidearms; they can only be used for emplaced weaponry. Projectile guns, hmmm...we could go with a kinetic shield such as the one from Dune. The field does nothing to slow objects, but interdicts any fast moving object. It also cannot affect energy weapons of any kind.

It occurs to me that such a shield, on a larger scale, could serve ships very well in a dirty system, protecting against micrometeorite strikes and dust abrasion. It would also render projectile and missile attacks useless. Further, more powerful versions would prevent the high-speed molecules of a gas from leaking through while allowing space-suited individuals to pass unharmed. No need for bulky, cumbersome airlocks.

Now, to make melee weapons more desirable, let's reduce the effectiveness of blasters. If a pistol does 6d6 normal, and a rifle 8d6, Then lets give the standard spacesuit 15 ED (after all, it has heavy radiation shielding), while combat models have around 20. Thus a person has a good chance of coming out of a hit both alive, and quite possibly conscious. On the other hand, since the suit's kinetic deflection field protects against micrometeoroids, rPD is probably around 5 for standard suits (don't want them too bulky, after all) or 10 for combat models. According to the Arms and Equipment Guide, a scimitar (close enough to a cutlass) is a 1d6+1 weapon. Laser-edged or vibro- versions probably wouldn't do more damage, but I'd add the Armor Piercing advantage, thus making them by far the most effective weapon in a boarding environment.

So, what are we seeing in a boarding action? Attackers spilling out of open bays towards the enemy, blades unsheathed, while their more cautious brethren keep the defender's heads down. Defenders popping up to fire blasts at incoming boarders, then a great melee as the horde reaches the target hull...

I'll work out costs for the suits and guns over the next few days, then post them up.

Great ideas, but lets use penetrating instead of AP for the swords, "Focused energy can cut through all but the hardest material given enough time", ships will normaly have some hardened defences, but individuals will not

It occurs to me that such a shield, on a larger scale, could serve ships very well in a dirty system, protecting against micrometeorite strikes and dust abrasion. It would also render projectile and missile attacks useless..

It would keep missiles from hitting but wouldn't prevent proximity bursts. Thus nukes would be worth using, but would be strangely ineffective by our standards because they can never score a direct hit.

Some ideas on a sample crew

Captain Scotty: A Human, that is a might insane but extremly flamboyant

"Cookey": Reptillian, big bulky type of guy, joined because he likes to cook, every ship they raid he downloads there gally recepies, likes to "experiment" on the meals to his crew mates dread

You cannot have 4 stars "orbiting each other." It would not occur in reality. You can have a pair of closely-orbiting stars "over here," another such pair "over there," and have the two pairs orbiting each other at a distance much further than that "within" each pair.

Laser-cutlasses! It must be laser-cutlasses! Laser-swords are either toys for fops, or much too long to use in close-quarters combat.

Not Agutrot, but the Aciamaj cluster, especially Ogetnom, is the center of piracy.

Following the ideas of Sundog, from post #2. There is only one "transit station" just within the jump-permitted area. Its name is Amanap. "Aye, laddie, 'twas 50 cycles ago that the greatest pirate of them all, Captain Hank Nagrom, raided Amanap, and came back with all its wealth. Aye, them were great days, great days. Yet, 'twas but 12 cycles later that scurvy dog Nagrom took the Corpcouncil's silver and came to Ogetnom as the 'governor' if you please! Cleared out the Bretheren of the Rocks from all the Aciamaj cluster. O' course, once Nagrom died, we comed back to Ogetnom and here we still be. Arrr."

Anyone have any ideas on ships? size, crew compliments, scale, things like that...

I am right now leaning towards small ship compliments of between 4-12 (good size for gaming groups =)

Also could someone post a quick "this is how Terrian Empire Does FTL travel" post

Right now I am leaning towards a Bab 5 style you go to another dimension, big ships can generate a portal, smaller ships need a steady portal...

Now. I have no intention of running Star Hero at any time in the near future but I do like reading this discussion - specially when you are in the formative stages.

If you are looking at swashbuckling boarding stuff then you really need to think of how you can get the feel of swinging over on a line with cutlass between your teeth (not recommended with laser blades!)

I was wondering if the pirates might have developed some kind of technology that would allow a man, sufficiently close to the hull of a ship, to transport through the hull regardless of shields or anything else?

It would be a risky exercise both getting close enough and doing the transport (not for heroes but in every boarding party at least one or two pirates will become superheated gas on the ship shields when the device fails to work).

That probably means the pirates get to the ship in a diffuse bunch and that the ship cannot rely on defending bulkheads etc...

More swashbuckling action as the pirates kill security and grab what they can before getting off the ship or disabling whatever security/defences/drives necessary for a more daring raid/capture.

Doc

You cannot have 4 stars "orbiting each other." It would not occur in reality. You can have a pair of closely-orbiting stars "over here' date='" another such pair "over there," and have the two pairs orbiting each other [i']at a distance much further than that "within" each pair.[/i]

Of course, everyone would know that and that's what would make the system that much more interesting. Someone, or something must have engineered the system - possibly to produce the right environment to generate the mineral/element that is the source of so much concern.

Obviously the tidal stresses in the area would be a good source for many sensor and drive and other technology failures that could drive scenario drama as required. The unnatural mix of gravity tides, gases and environmental stresses could also be the source for anything the GM might want to consider.

Doc

Now. I have no intention of running Star Hero at any time in the near future but I do like reading this discussion - specially when you are in the formative stages.

If you are looking at swashbuckling boarding stuff then you really need to think of how you can get the feel of swinging over on a line with cutlass between your teeth (not recommended with laser blades!)

I was wondering if the pirates might have developed some kind of technology that would allow a man, sufficiently close to the hull of a ship, to transport through the hull regardless of shields or anything else?

It would be a risky exercise both getting close enough and doing the transport (not for heroes but in every boarding party at least one or two pirates will become superheated gas on the ship shields when the device fails to work).

That probably means the pirates get to the ship in a diffuse bunch and that the ship cannot rely on defending bulkheads etc...

More swashbuckling action as the pirates kill security and grab what they can before getting off the ship or disabling whatever security/defences/drives necessary for a more daring raid/capture.

Doc

I can think of two things:

Small pods that attach and cut into the ship releasing 2-3 pirates each

Short range teleporters...

You cannot have 4 stars "orbiting each other." It would not occur in reality. You can have a pair of closely-orbiting stars "over here' date='" another such pair "over there," and have the two pairs orbiting each other [i']at a distance much further than that "within" each pair.[/i]

Laser-cutlasses! It must be laser-cutlasses! Laser-swords are either toys for fops, or much too long to use in close-quarters combat.

Not Agutrot, but the Aciamaj cluster, especially Ogetnom, is the center of piracy.

Following the ideas of Sundog, from post #2. There is only one "transit station" just within the jump-permitted area. Its name is Amanap. "Aye, laddie, 'twas 50 cycles ago that the greatest pirate of them all, Captain Hank Nagrom, raided Amanap, and came back with all its wealth. Aye, them were great days, great days. Yet, 'twas but 12 cycles later that scurvy dog Nagrom took the Corpcouncil's silver and came to Ogetnom as the 'governor' if you please! Cleared out the Bretheren of the Rocks from all the Aciamaj cluster. O' course, once Nagrom died, we comed back to Ogetnom and here we still be. Arrr."

Awww hell, I'm out of rep for the day. :(:weep:

Oh well, this post is definitely going on my list!!

"Captain Hank Nagrom" indeed. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT: OK, now the rep has been given. :D

Here's the write ups I promised, sorry it took a little longer than I expected.

Weapons and Armor of the Naebirrac System

Standard Power Pack

120 Endurance, 12 Recovery (Only when plugged into an active power socket, -1½ to recovery only), OIF (-1/2), Independent (-2)

Active Cost: 24. Real Cost: 6

A black wafer, 9cm x 4cm x 1cm, the human-designed Standard Power Pack has become the most common method of powering small arms and personal items in the Naebirrac.

Personal Deflection Field (Belt Pack)

40PD Force Field, Protects Carried Items, Reduced Endurance Cost ½, (+1/4),

Full Phase Activation (-1/2), Inobvious Inaccessible Focus (Beltpack(-1/4), Independent (-2), Only Affects High-Velocity Objects (-1/2). End Reserve (Standard Power Pack ) Only (+0)

Active Cost: 62points. Real Cost: 15points. END Cost 3/Phase.

The beltpack version of the Personal Deflection Field is a relatively new development, it’s bulkier predecessor having been part of spacesuits and military powered armour for some years. Equally as powerful, the beltpack model is known as an energy hog, capable of draining a Standard Power Pack dry in only two to three minutes of use. To alleviate this, each belt comes with connectors for up to six packs.

Ionic Pulse Blaster Pistol

6d6 EB, OAF (-1), Independent (-2), Single Shot Only: No Rapid Fire or Blazing Away (-1/4), Beam Attack (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4). End Reserve (Standard Power Pack ) Only (+0)

Active Cost: 30points. Real Cost: 8points. END Cost 3/shot.

The basic blaster. With forty rounds off of a single clip and reasonable capacity to put an unarmored human down (if unlikely to be dead), the most commonly seen sidearm in the Naebirrac. Like all Ion Pulse weapons, has a relatively slow rate of fire, and virtually no recoil.

Ionic Pulse Blaster Rifle

8d6 EB, OAF (-1), Independent (-2), Single Shot Only: No Rapid Fire or Blazing Away (-1/4), Beam Attack (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), 1½ -Handed Weapon(-1/4,

-1OCV penalty to 1-handed use). End Reserve (Standard Power Pack ) Only (+0)

Active Cost: 40points. Real Cost 8points. END Cost 4/shot.

Less popular than it’s pistol counterpart, the Ionic Pulse Blaster Rifle (or more properly, carbine) has gained some measure of acceptance among security officers and other professionals, who appreciate it’s greater stopping power, and capacity to hold up to two Standard Power Packs, giving up to sixty shots before needing to reload.

Support Laser

2d6 RKA, Continuous (+1), Concentration (½ DCV, -1/4), ½ Phase to Maintain (-½ Extra Time Limitation), OAF (-1), Bulky (½ DCV,-1/2), Fragile (-1/2), Independent (-2), 2-Handed Weapon (Cannot be used 1-Handed) (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), x3 Endurance (-1), End Reserve (Standard Power Pack ) Only (+0)

Active Cost: 60points. Real Cost: 8points. End Cost: 18

Heavy, fragile, a power hog, and quite lethal to unarmored opponents, the Support Laser is that last of the military laser designs. Centuries of work have not solved the basic inadequacies of the weapon as a personal arm, but have at least created one capable of being toted by a single man. Quite uncommon in the Naebirrac.

Civilian Space Suit

Life Support: Self Contained Breathing, 1 Fuel Charge of 1 Day (+1/2), OIF Space Suit (-1/2), Independent (-2).

Active Cost: 15. Real Cost: 4

40PD Force Field, Protects Carried Items, Reduced Endurance Cost 0, (+1/2),

OIF Space Suit(-1/4), Independent (-2), Only Affects High-Velocity Objects (-1/2).

Active Cost: 75 Real Cost: 20

Life Support: Safe Environment Low Pressure/Vacuum, Intense Heat, Intense Cold, High Radiation, OIF Space Suit (-1/2), Independent (-2).

Active Cost: 8 Real Cost: 2

5 PD/15 ED Armour, OIF Space Suit (-1/2), Independent (-2), Real Armour (-1/4), One Quarter Mass (20 Kg) (-1/4)

Active Cost: 30 Real Cost: 7

Total Active Cost: 128points Total Real Cost: 33points

The common rockhopper’s suit. Will keep you safe even under the extreme conditions of the Naebirrac, and allow a full day’s work. Usually the single most expensive item owned by a miner, other than perhaps his ship. Includes a powerful kinetic deflection field to ward off micrometeorites.

Armoured Space Suit

Life Support: Self Contained Breathing, 1 Fuel Charge of 1 Day (+1/2), OIF Space Suit (-1/2), Independent (-2).

Active Cost: 15. Real Cost: 4

40PD Force Field, Protects Carried Items, Reduced Endurance Cost 0, (+1/2),

OIF Space Suit(-1/4), Independent (-2), Only Affects High-Velocity Objects (-1/2).

Active Cost: 75 Real Cost: 20

Life Support: Safe Environment Low Pressure/Vacuum, Intense Heat, Intense Cold, High Radiation, OIF Space Suit (-1/2), Independent (-2).

Active Cost: 8 Real Cost: 2

10 PD/20 ED Armour, OIF Space Suit (-1/2), Independent (-2), Real Armour (-1/4)

Active Cost: 45 Real Cost: 12

Total Active Cost: 143points Total Real Cost: 38

Preferred by Security, Military and Pirate forces throughout space, the Armoured Space Suit includes power assist technology to compensate for it’s greater weight and bulk. Significantly more expensive than the purely civlian model.

Comm Node

High Range Radio Perception, OAF Earbud and Visor (-1).

Active Cost: 12 Points. Real Cost: 6 Points.

The most common communications device galaxy-wide. Capable of simultaneous receive/transmit on almost any band, and you can watch the news on the extendable visor. Operates off of the heat emanations of the wearer (cold-blooded species require a battery pack). Comm Nodes are commonly worn under space helmets.

Power/Vibro/Chain Cutlass

1d6+1 HKA, Penetrating (+1/2), OAF (-1), Independent (-2), Str Minimum 11 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4).

Active Cost: 30points Real Cost: 6

Whether by Terran vibration enhancers, ((Advanced Alien Race)) powerfields or ((Barbaric Alien Race))’s simple chainsaw approach, powered melee weapons are enjoying a renaissance. Capable of cutting through almost any substance given time, they have restored the balance of power to the attacker – provided he can reach his target.

The short, chopping blade of the cutlass has proven remarkably easy to enhance. However, rapier, axe and sabre forms are also common.

What do people think?

I can think of two things:

Small pods that attach and cut into the ship releasing 2-3 pirates each

Short range teleporters...

I keep thinking of the electronic thumb used in Hitchhikers.

I want an Hyperspace Grappling Hook. I can see the special effects. The pirate whirls an ariel (antenna to you US type folk) round to aid the targetting of a personal, one-use teleporter. He has to make a targetting roll on the nearby spaceship - his own ship would have to be close enough to allow this to work - the teleporter locks on (indicated by the ariel going taut in the direction of the ship) and he swings through hyperspace to the inside of the target ship.

Classic pirate style stuff. Will have to see if I can come up with actual game stats for it.

Doc

Not necessarily. The orbital dynamics of a system are going to be determined by the masses of the stars in question. You could have a pair in close orbit of each other that are then orbited by the other two at different distances. I'll lay it out below

AB (close pair) C (6 AU from AB) D (10 AU from AB)

A - 5 solar masses

B - 5 solar masses

C - 3 solar masses

D - 2 solar mass

Note that these are smaller masses than Blue/White Supergiants. The problem is that the stellar wind of a hot young supergiant tends to be very strong (in some cases 300km/sec+. It would likely 'sandblast' a ship to swiss cheese with ionized Hydrogen atoms.

Would suggest that spectral class A (think Sirius) would be better. Keep the multiple stars. The don't necessarily have then orbiting each other but definately they should be gravitationally connected. In fact with smaller mass stars you could add a few more and make it a small association of stars. They all formed at the same time from the same basic nebula and therefore have very similar chemical compositions.

Just some thoughts from someone who was bit by the astronomy bug as well as the RPG bug.