Skill enhancers:Suggestions

Patriot

I was wondering what your opinions on 2 new Skill enhancers would be.

1) Weaponsmaster (-1 to the cost of a weapons group)

2) Pilot (-1 to the cost of any TF group)

While weapons elements, and vehicle familarity dont hold a lot of weight in most campaigns I have played or ran in, these ideas may halp flesh out characters a little

Re: Skill enhancers:Suggestions

You could also have...

Fighter (-1 to the cost of martial maneuvers)

Now, before you all go ape****, hear me out.

Remember that skill enhancers cost 3 points. This means that you need to purchase 3 maneuvers to "break even", and the enhancer doesn't apply to weapon elements, CSLs or Martial Art DCs. If you are using Ultimate Martial Artist, then there are 9 HtH maneuvers pemade that cost only 3 points, but, you do get what you pay for.

On a general note, one way of looking at skill enhancers is as a elemental control with a 1pt reserve, that has a manndatory advantage of "may be used for skills (+2)" that only applies to the reserve cost. This logic could be extended to create any number of "EC:Skill Enhancer" frameworks, possibly with higher reserves.

Personally, I would be extremely reluctant to allow such ECs, or my own fighter suggestion. The main reason is that all the skill enhancers in the main rule book (pg 77 revised) affect background skills, except for well-connected, which affects contacts and favors (background perks). These "defeault exceptions" to the warning against allowing skills in a framework is because these skills largely have limited effect in gameplay. The intention here, I believe, is to reward characters who spend a relatively large number of points on skills that tend not to aid a character in direct encouters, be they combat, environmental or social.

While weapons elements, and vehicle familarity dont hold a lot of weight in most campaigns I have played or ran in, these ideas may halp flesh out characters a little

The main problems I have with both of these is that they are reducing the cost of something that has already gotten a reduction for being "related by a common special effect."

One of my players came up with the TF one and it did not unbalance the game.

I wouldn't go for the fighter suggestion, but I'd be OK with the first two.

For years I have been using what I call "Professional skill enhancers". These are simply extensions of the "scientist" skill enhancer.

So someone who wanted to be a really good cop could purchase Skill Enhancer: "Police officer" and get a 1 point break on all skills common to police training. This specifically excludes combat, but would cover bureacratics, legal aspects, crime scene forensics, etc.

It wouldn't cover (as noted) combat, piloting, or even combat driving, since professional skill enhancers are intended to cover those aspects which *most* people with that job description would be expected to have some knowledge in, not skills they *could* have some knowledge in. As a rule of thumb, if the player has to make up some comlpicated explanation as to why the character should have the skill, then it's not covered by the skill enhancer and they can buy it normally.

It's worked well for us, encouraging people to take background skills they otherwise might not have and has not been unbalancing.

cheers, Mark

Pilot already appears in the Ultimate Skill.

TB

Yeah and you can likely fit Weapon master into Expert...it seems like most things fit there.....I've been messing with it over in the Hero system area, and so far I'm liking TUSK real good (Expert: Goodly speach'in)

Expert: Weapons master 3 pts

WF: Common Melee 1 pts or more

etc.....